By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has the Playstation Move's apparent success made people go crazy?

this site is going to be even more funny when everyone magically believes ms figures for kinect's shipments and automatically convert it in to definitive units sold without question, on the other hand sony are always lying and spinning their numbers and doing dirty things to make it look better like counting eyes and navi's and saying they are ramping up production(sarcasm).

seriously I think people should be warned at this rate as they are constantly going around in circles without actually proving that Sony is definitely lying about their figures and have lots of moves hiding away, this is pretty much the same argument people use against the ps3 earlier on this year despite shortages and look what happened, vgc had to adjust up ps3 because they didn't believe shortages, and they will have to do the same with move sales, sorry but they have under-estimated it by a huge amount

there that will be ban xxx for me lol

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network
jneul said:

this site is going to be even more funny when everyone magically believes ms figures for kinect's shipments and automatically convert it in to definitive units sold without question, on the other hand sony are always lying and spinning their numbers and doing dirty things to make it look better like counting eyes and navi's and saying they are ramping up production(sarcasm).

seriously I think people should be warned at this rate as they are constantly going around in circles without actually proving that Sony is definitely lying about their figures and have lots of moves hiding away, this is pretty much the same argument people use against the ps3 earlier on this year despite shortages and look what happened, vgc had to adjust up ps3 because they didn't believe shortages, and they will have to do the same with move sales, sorry but they have under-estimated it by a huge amount

there that will be ban xxx for me lol

Just got back from work.  I will deal with some other posts tonight.

But it would be quite ironic if people got warned for the bolded part.

VGC would have to then give itself a warning, given it lists Move sales as substantially below the shipped figures...

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Good post :D

starcraft said:
steverhcp02 said:
starcraft said:
steverhcp02 said:
starcraft said:
Carl2291 said:
starcraft said:

My perception of their expectations?  A substantial shift in the public perception surrounding the PS3.  In the way people want to play games.  A sizeable and sustained increase in sales.

Certainly not the lacklustre sell through we've seen evidence of.

Move has clearly not been a major flop.  But to call it a "success" is an equivelant stretch, unless you truly believe that Son'y ONLY goal with Move was to literally break even on the hardware.

Right. Just want to say something.

The week before PS Move launched, PS3 sold 131k units Worldwide.

The week of PS Move (I say week, I mean 2 days on sale), the PS3 sold  170k units worldwide.

The following week (The first full week of PS Move), the PS3 sold 183k units worldwide.

The PS3 has outsold the Wii every week since PS Move launched, by 20k or more units, and hasn't dropped below 155k units WW... Without a Japan Move launch, which will be in this weeks data I think.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure Sony are happy with it having sold 2.5 Million units to retailers within a Month despite it being a "slow burner". And I'm pretty sure Sony fans are happy with it judging from comments in the WW Up threads.

Why on Earth is the Wii a standard bearer for success at this point?

The Xbox 360 has been beating it out of routine.  Taken from that perspective, Move has been out a few weeks and still hasn't led to the PS3 defeating Xbox 360, despite the products apparent strong region being Europe  (the Xbox 360's less strong region).

I haven't said at any point in this thread that the Move was a failure.  Did it do as well as Sony hoped it would?  Of course not.  If a tonne of advertising (in my country at least), a massive proportion of their major events time and budget, dozens of games and an emphasis that their flagship titles will utilize Move isn't an enormous amount of hype, then Sony has never utilized an enormous amount of hype for anything.

There seems to be a systematic notion of resistance in many posters in this thread (I am referring to others here Carl, rather than you) to the concept that Move was anything other than a resounding success, when there is clear evidence that it was not.

you mean like the hardware boost that coincided with Moves release? and has elevated the bottomline weekly average 30k?

You keep repeating yourself saying "ZOMG i saw commercials...for a product.....they expect it to sell!!!!!" Well no shit. Companies make commercials. 

Ya know what i cant even start this, i cant fathom how you come to your reasoning.

You blatantly misquote me, ignore the SUBSTANTIAL evidence that Sony overshipped significantly and then (as the thread creator pointed out) misled us about their sales and yet it is me that has unfathomable reasoning?

Here is a simple picture, and I will paint our relative points within it:

1. Complete and utter resounding success by any and all standards.

2. Did ok, didn't set the world alight, didn't perform in line with it's very large amount of hype.

3. Failed.

Now I would be number two, and you would be number one.  As I pointed out with a previous post, a number of people, beginning with the thread creator, seem to be afraid of the notion that Move was anything other than Sony's second coming.

Sadly, it simply isn't the case.  Which is not to say that it failed at all.  In direct answer to the OP's title though, it would indeed appear that the perspective of some people has indeed been skewed by Move not meeting their aspiring hopes and dreams.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Move-Controller-3/dp/B002I0J51U/ref=pd_sim_vg_2

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17006&type=page&skuId=1122178&_requestid=240510

For target i used my area code of "43609" but i encourage others to try their areas and see if there is a similar result

http://www.target.com/gp/store-info/find-target-store.html?asin=B002I0J51U

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Playstation-3-Move-Motion-Controller-PS3-Move/14658864

Hey man, dont let reality get in the way of your crusade or anything.

Yay.  Let's play anecdotal evidence wars woohoo!!!

Not a single substantial retailer in my MAJOR city is sold out of Move.  But that is irrelevant, like your post.  Because the likes of NPD, VGC and Chart Track (the only people we know that take regional or global samples) indicate clearly that Sony has not sold anything like it's original shipment allotment of Move through to the public.

You have, again, failed to indicate where I said anything about Pachter's first estimate.

I want to play this game, too!

Here is my local media markt (biggest electronic retailer in Europe)

If this does not work for whatever reason:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9379/imag0017l.jpg

There are more than 100 PS Move in my store in a city with 70k people living at. And I asked the employee and he said they had about the same number in the back.

Another Media Markt in my home town has about 50 in stock. I did not make a picture and I did not asked an employee either. There are no shortages in Germany

But somehow I read on the internet PS Move is sold out in Germany and nowhere to be found. This is not true.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I'm sure somebody has pointed this out but I'm not reading 200 or so posts.

Latin America practically is all of South America.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Latin_America_(orthographic_projection).svg

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

There are more than 100 PS Move in my store in a city with 70k people living at. And I asked the employee and he said they had about the same number in the back.

Another Media Markt in my home town has about 50 in stock. I did not make a picture and I did not asked an employee either. There are no shortages in Germany

But somehow I read on the internet PS Move is sold out in Germany and nowhere to be found. This is not true.

When were those PS Move's delivered?  I'm pretty sure it's only the individual Move controllers that are sold out, not the bundle.

greenmedic88 said:
bazmeistergen said:

The most important thing for developers is how many potential consumers they will have if they go for a move-based game.

None of the data available or any of the comments clarifies the user-base.

It easy to assume there are over 20 million people with motion plus, but to decide how many households have Move is very difficult. There certainly won't be 2.5 million. Will there be about 1.25 million? 1.5 million? 750,000? Who can actually tell?

This is why the developers judgment will have to rely on Move-based software.

Not entirely. Developers, particularly for core games, still have the option of going with dual control scheme support.

Any FPS game. Pretty much any shooter. Or any game that uses pointing as a primary control mechanic.

This is why the "Move can only be judged by how many Move required games it sells" argument falls flat.

Of course if the "Move compatible" bullet doesn't help sell a game (even harder to gauge), then sure; expect to see future Move support drop.

But given the advantage pointer based controls can have over analog stick aiming, particularly in FPS games, I have a hard time seeing this happen.

Sure, sure.

I was solely considering Move-only schemes. That interests me a lot more than traditional schemes and is the reason I bought a Wii in the first place.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Nomad Blue said:
DirtyP2002 said:

When were those PS Move's delivered?  I'm pretty sure it's only the individual Move controllers that are sold out, not the bundle.

lol it was probably a recent re-stock, the scee info told us ps move has an adoption rate of 60%-100% in eu countries, so that means a minimum of 900k sales in europe alone, dirtp can keep his dirty tactics to himself

POSTING IMAGES OF MOVE STARTER BUNDLES IS NOT EVIDENCE THAT ALL OF EU HAS STOCK LYING AROUND!!

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Im now just awaiting  SONY's report on PSmove sales in JAPAN.

So I can laugh my ass out again on the fanboy haters and their "over shipped" or "sony iz lying"  joke of an excuse.

EU and NA report by sony have already shut quite a few of them compared to before the trolling simmered down and the patcher fiasco humiliated them even more(ROFL I can't stop laughing on this one).

jneul said:
Nomad Blue said:
DirtyP2002 said:

lol it was probably a recent re-stock, the scee info told us ps move has an adoption rate of 60%-100% in eu countries, so that means a minimum of 900k sales in europe alone, dirtp can keep his dirty tactics to himself

POSTING IMAGES OF MOVE STARTER BUNDLES IS NOT EVIDENCE THAT ALL OF EU HAS STOCK LYING AROUND!!

I took this picture 2 days after release I guess. No re-stock first shipment.

Are you really trying to tell me the stuff I see with my own eyes is not true, but the stuff on the internet is? There are no shortages in my region and somehow I doubt that they sit on hundreds of PS Move controllers in northern Germany while the rest of the country is desperatly trying to get it. There are no shortages in Germany. Period.

I have no problem to buy PS Move at my online store of choice either. It is not the biggest online retailer, but it is quiet known though. You can get every PS Move related. Sub-controller, charging station, wand and even the pistol-stuff. No shortages for any of those.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...