By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has the Playstation Move's apparent success made people go crazy?

Or maybe a better stance would be become forgetful.  My (5) reasons for saying this are as follows:

1. Shipped vs. Sold.  Come on people, we learned this the first time we came to this site and questioned the numbers here.  Companies report shipped numbers.  As in units SOLD to retailers.  VGC, however, does it's best to estimate sold TO CUSTOMER.  It's always been this way, and it always will be.  I just hope those screaming about "IT SHIPPED NOT SOLD!!" won't be surprised to learn that the numbers MS publish for Kinect are shipped, not sold to customer.

2. 2.5 million sales =/= userbase.  Can someone show where anyone, especially Sony, made such a remark to the contrary?  I know I haven't seen it.  But for some reason those who scoff the numbers that Sony put out continue to say to those who believe them, "Yea, you keep believing the userbase is 2.5 million."  Again, NO ONE has said it is.

3. Patcher jumping the gun.  This continues to astound me, since Patcher himself put out a retraction saying that his initial estimates were too low and that Move was actually doing much better than he thought.  Of course, some wish to ignore that and qoute is "underperforming" 300K estimates.

4. BUT, THE SOFTWARE DOESN'T SUPPORT THIS NUMBER!!  Ah, the last ditch effort to denounce the success of Move.  My only question is, why would it?  There are more options for playing Move than just buying the launch games.  In fact, considering that most the launch titles were lackluster, I wouldn't doubt most are using it with patched games.  Before Move even launched, Eye Pet had sold ~500K units in EU.  Heavy Rain has sold ~1.5 mil WW, most of which came from America and EMEAA.  There's 290K sales for Tiger Woods 2011.  260K for Toy Story 3.  Oh and apparently some game called MAG sold 930K units.    All of these who are potential buyers of Move.  There are also unknown sales of PSN games like Planet Minigolf, echochrome ii, Tumble, and Hustle Kings.  And some people who may have purchased it in advance of big titles like LBP2 and Killzone 3.

5.  US, Canada, Latin America, and Europe.  Reportedly these are the only regions we have shipped numbers for.  So 1 million in the US, Canada, and Latin America.  As well as, 1.5 million in all of Europe, not the whole of EMEAA.  And Move has just recently released in Japan, so within a week or so, we'll be getting even more of an idea how well Move truly is doing.  Still can't see how this equals Move flopping.

In conclusion, let's try to remember to use some common sense when arguing our points. 

Around the Network

All good points

CGI-Quality said:

Excellent points. Just remember, people who don't favor something will always "question" what's true or not, while other, more reasonable indivisuals give each side a chance.

From my vantage point, Move is a success.

I see it as a success, too.  Heck, I even see ioi's estimation of selling ~ 500K "units" in the first month or so a success.  And while I'm sure ioi does his best to be as accurate as he can, I would have to imagine calculating Move units the he's trying to has go to be damn near impossible.  Just WAY too many variables to consider.

people must get in there heads that as long as Sony is making money off the Move its an Success. But still they are saying that they have doubled there production twice leads to believe that the MOVE has sold close to the 2.5 million and retailers are asking for more stock. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Success is all relative.  Do I believe that in and of itself Move will make a profit?  Likely.

Could the resources Sony has poured into it have been better spent?  Probably.

Did Move do what Sony and many of it's fans hoped or intended?  Certainly not.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:

What did you think Sony intended for the Move in its first month? Given that its already had a production increase, I'd say whatever measure of success Sony had for the Move has already been exceeded.

czecherychestnut said:
starcraft said:

What did you think Sony intended for the Move in its first month? Given that its already had a production increase, I'd say whatever measure of success Sony had for the Move has already been exceeded.

Definitely agree with this.  Plus, Sony (as well as supporters) had already stated they expected Move to start out as a slow burn.  I think it's burning a little faster than they expected.

starcraft said:

Success is all relative.  Do I believe that in and of itself Move will make a profit?  Likely.

Could the resources Sony has poured into it have been better spent?  Probably.

Given that controllers are generally the most profitable piece of kit in a platform manufacturer's catalog, it's pretty safe to say that as long as SCE keeps selling more Move controllers (which is looking a lot more likely given the production ramp up in response to initial consumer demand), they are making money on Move.

That last one is a premature conclusion considering that we have yet to see the first "must buy" Move exclusive title yet. If you think there will never be one, that's a bold point of view, and I wouldn't personally lay odds on that.

I can say from personal experience that my opinion is A) the tech behind Move completely works as outlined in the prerelease PR, and B) the initial games really aren't anything more than primers to demonstrate how the tech works and that it actually does work as advertised. I'll go a step further and say that most of them aren't worth buying if you aren't the type to pay for tech demos.

thismeintiel said:
czecherychestnut said:
starcraft said:

Definitely agree with this.  Plus, Sony (as well as supporters) had already stated they expected Move to start out as a slow burn.  I think it's burning a little faster than they expected.

yea everyone knew that because KZ3, S4, LBP2 and as well as Child of Eden dont come out till next year, so expect much bigger Q1 for the Move 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

good post.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good