By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WTF? Nobuo Uematsu copied the Final Fantasy prelude theme!?!?!

So I was listening to the radio today and to my surprise I thought they were playing a Final Fantasy song, but wasn't??

From 0:00 - 0:12, listen to this

Ok now the Final Fantasy Prelude themes

The song Pete Townshend - Let my love open the door was made in 1980 and Final Fantasy first started in 1987...what the hell Nobuo?

Around the Network

Nah, he didn't copy it. He made the prelude in ten minutes, and I don't think he'd have access to that disc in a game studio in Japan and just decided to copy it.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

It doens't sound all that similar, listen to the individual notes, the FF prelue pretty much just goes up the scale and then back down, while the other song goes up and down randomly at different points and skips notes. Similar yes, but with .... millions? of songs out there, someparts of songs are going to sound similar to others.

Well he does have inspiration from certain types of music.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Guys, that's not copying...The melodies are similar because they are both arpeggios. You can't copy an arpeggio, you can only use it :P

Around the Network

Gilga is going mad!

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

FF fanboys are FF fanboys *dunno* Where's the problem of he copied that, i think he likes the music introduction and thinked that this style would be nice and made a remix in 10 minutes.

As a musician, I can tell you sometimes these things can happen coincedently. Maybe he heard the song before, and 4 months later, he had inspiration for the prelude without even knowing it stemmed back to this song (and yes there are similarities, not in exact pitches of course, but more in general content). Maybe he never heard the song and it just happened. Maybe he found inspiration from the song directly.

None of those are "wrong". Many great artists have copied from each other. Creating music these days usually isn't about creating something entirely new, it's about a different take on things already out there. Even among your favorite artists, they will most likely have copied or found inspiration elsewhere.

Please note, using something for inspiration is different than just copying something. He didn't blatantly copy it, it is different enough to be his own work.

It's just a slight variation of the same arpeggio.

*shock*

*awe*

Edit:  Was totally beaten.  -_-

You do realize that even a ten year old can play the prelude? its only music notes going up and down and up and down,  its an arpeggio

here is the sheet.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.