By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo doesn't give a 5|-|!t about the Wii

Lets just say it:

The Wii has come and almost gone. Despite reasonable sales comparing to the HD twins, Wii sales are trending downwards to epic low levels compared to what the console performed in the past.

Nintendo own software is lackluster to what they gave us in the past.

The console, which is basically a Gamecube on steroids with motion control tacked in, surpassed Nintendo and everyone expectations, hence the shortages for 2 years after release.

Zelda Skyward Sword will be the last hit on the system.

2011 will be all about 3DS, and 2012 will be the year the next Nintendo console arrives.

The Wii will be left with minor Nintendo projects till 2012 and for 3rd parties. Nintendo already had much more revenue from it than they were expecting. Their money is now going for 3DS and Wii 2 R&D.

Around the Network

I don't get why everyone is complaining about the wii. I Think the wii is the best Ninty home console since the snes. But i also think, from what we know by now, it will be a very dry year for the wii in 2011 and it is very likely to see a new nintendo home console coming in 2012. I also love my 360 but without the wii, this generation would be so generic, uninspired and boring.

Ive got no complaints on the software front. I just finished Kirby's Epic Yarn, which is in the top spot for my game of the year at the moment. Got Epic Mickey, Donkey Kong Wii, GoldenEye 007, Sonic Colors, and more still to come this year. Not to mention Zelda, The Last Story, and Xenoblade  Mario Sport  Mix? I think its called hopefully all coming next year. Sure there is a few more im interested in, but its late and this makes my point.

It probably will come to a end in the next year or two. I am with Chaos it is my favorite Ninty console since SNES. Course this could be because my favorite games are platformers. 2D more so than 3D.

I was really excited for the 3DS, but looking over a lot of the games im not as much. A lot of the thirdy party games are not my thing if they were id have a PS3 or Xbox this gen along with my Wii and DS. Still I know I will have one for such games as Megaman Legends, RE's, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Kid Icarus, and a couple others. Cant forget the hopefull New Super Mario Bros game.

Stop crying. 

Kirby's Epic Yarn is AWESOME, btw. 

I agree with you guys, I love my Wii too, the awesome and unique games it has and the late copycats prove that it is indeed an awesome system.

But what I'm saying is that at this point, Nintendo doesn't give a shit about the Wii anymore. Major titles will now be produced for 3DS and the Wii successor.

Around the Network

1. While sales are down, I don't think it's as bad as you're making it sound. 

2. Nintendo's software has been surprisingly strong this year. I recommend you pick up Kirby or SMG2.

3. Enough with saying "Wii is a Gamecube on steroids". In terms of raw CPU power, yes. In terms of image and usability for an expanded market, no.

4. I doubt Zelda will be the last hit on Wii. There are more games in development that haven't been announced yet.

Wii is trending to be a much larger software market than DS, even if you exclude bundled software its ahead by 15% over the same period. So Nintendo cares - they like $$ - and DS is already a 750 million unit * $30 (or so) software market over six years. I'm thinking DS gets to 900m-1.05b games shipped, while Wii gets to 1b to 1.2b games shipped. You can say that PS2 got to 1.55b or so, but Sony never had two sw markets of a billion units each overlapping in the way Nintendo does / has recently.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Well theres still that heartbeat monitor thingy. And pikmen 3 is 'ment to be out eventually. They might have cancelled that or something though. Havn't heard about it for ages. And the last few months of this year are huge.

EDIT: Also Kirby doesn't come out in Europe and Australia till next year

This is my sig.

TheSource said:

Wii is trending to be a much larger software market than DS, even if you exclude bundled software its ahead by 15% over the same period. So Nintendo cares - they like $$ - and DS is already a 750 million unit * $30 (or so) software market over six years. I'm thinking DS gets to 900m-1.05b games shipped, while Wii gets to 1b to 1.2b games shipped. You can say that PS2 got to 1.55b or so, but Sony never had two sw markets of a billion units each overlapping in the way Nintendo does / has recently.

You're ignoring the fact that the Wii will most probably decline at a faster rate than usual for consoles.

Kirby doesn't boost Wii sales in Japan (I think this is actually due to Move) and everyone goes ballistic .

Nintendo cares about the WIi, if they wouldn't then they wouldn't have made all the games they are coming out with this year.

I think their secretive ways as far as what games are coming out when and where have been hurting them though as far as their image in the eyes of many gamers. A few surprises here and there is fine, but holding back on information I am certain they already have, such as for example if and around when Xenbolade will be coming out in the West is only hurting them. WIth no information, people think the worst, get more and more frustrated and think exactly that, that "Nintendo doesn't give s... about the Wii".

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin