By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Scientists may of gotten Mayan calendar wrong...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20101019/sc_livescience/endoftheearthpostponed

It's a good news/bad news situation for believers in the 2012 Mayan apocalypse. The good news is that the Mayan "Long Count" calendar may not end on Dec. 21, 2012 (and, by extension, the world may not end along with it). The bad news for prophecy believers? If the calendar doesn't end in December 2012, no one knows when it actually will - or if it has already.

Ok, so much for the 2012 talk.

Around the Network

Is it weird that I kind of feel relieved after hearing this?

I never really believed in the 2012 crap, but in the back of my head I was thinking "what if..."

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

OH NOES!! They better get things figured out or else Jesse Ventura is going to be out of a job for the next few years...

Well apparently since the Calender is based on the motion of the heavens. The Northern Hemisphere already passed the that particular visual situation that the Mayan Calender should be based on for 2010. I think it happened mid 2000. So umm yeah.

There's pro and cons for the 2012 prediction. Some of them are rather eerie others are just total BS.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

How come they couldnt figure this out before that really shitty movie was made?

Around the Network

This is considered new information?

Anyone who had looked into it knew that all that was set to happen by the Mayan calendar in 2012 was that it was going to clock over to the next "era" - in the same sense as how our calendar went from 1999 to 2000 less than eleven years ago. And surprise, surprise, the exact same sort of "end of the world" predictions came then, too.

So you're saying the world has already ended and we didn't notice? Freaky.

I think it coincided with the 2000 computer bug. So Mayans were right, the world almost ended ;)

On the other hand, maybe they just predicted the Lehman collaps?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

1. the calendar only goes to a certain point, the mayans did not say this meant the world would end at this point.

2. when that day is, therefore, is irelevant to even conspiracy theorist morons.

On the plus side, if it isn't the end of the world, I don't think there will be any more widespread predictions. This is the big one, and all the doomsayers have put the remains of their credibility in this final prediction :p

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~