By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Standard controllers

Doobie_wop said:
Khuutra said:
Doobie_wop said:

When I want Travis Touchdown to swing his sword on the 360, I press Y.

When I want Travis Touchdown to swing his sword on the Wii, I have to slash my arm three times before I get a reaction.

That's factually incorrect. You swing the beam sword in NMH by pressing A. You shift your stances with the Wiimote, which is perfectly functional.

You've

You've never played No More Heroes on the Wii, have you.

Yes I have, I can even retell you what happens in the game. You fight normally, but then the prompt comes on the screen. The prompt tells you to swing the Wiimote in a certain direction, sometimes you use both the Nunchuck and the Wiimote. Red Steel and No More Heroes had been the first games I bought with my Wii back in 2008, I stopped playing No More Heroes because of how uncoordinated the gym areas had been to level up.

I don't think the problem here is one of the game's coordination, in fairness, so much as your reaction to the inputs.

Around the Network
scottie said:
Doobie_wop said:
scottie said:
oniyide said:

it also doesn't help that the Wii drops out of sync and you have to recalibrate while your still in the game.

I had a huge response prepared, covering every single thing you said, but then I just deleted it all to focus on the important.

What are you even talking about? This does not occur. Either you are lying in order to make the Wii look bad, or you have actually been playing this by mistake. I don't know which of the two is funnier 

Your Wiimote never drops out of sync? It doesn't start going spastic all over the screen and it barely registers? I find that hard to believe. I had to go to the sensor bar settings to adjust the sensitivity a few times. It's also nice how you ignored the rest of the post and tried to be funny with your Vii thing, good job. This also isn't an attack against the Wii, it's an attack against motion controls in general, the Wii is the only motion controller I have owned out of the bunch and so it's the only one I can give criticism on.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Khuutra said:
Doobie_wop said:
Khuutra said:
Doobie_wop said:

When I want Travis Touchdown to swing his sword on the 360, I press Y.

When I want Travis Touchdown to swing his sword on the Wii, I have to slash my arm three times before I get a reaction.

That's factually incorrect. You swing the beam sword in NMH by pressing A. You shift your stances with the Wiimote, which is perfectly functional.

You've

You've never played No More Heroes on the Wii, have you.

Yes I have, I can even retell you what happens in the game. You fight normally, but then the prompt comes on the screen. The prompt tells you to swing the Wiimote in a certain direction, sometimes you use both the Nunchuck and the Wiimote. Red Steel and No More Heroes had been the first games I bought with my Wii back in 2008, I stopped playing No More Heroes because of how uncoordinated the gym areas had been to level up.

I don't think the problem here is one of the game's coordination, in fairness, so much as your reaction to the inputs.

I reacted to the inputs pretty well, the game slows down and it's kinda got this huge arrowing flashing on screen, it's not hard to miss. I'd literally swing my Wiimote in that direction 2-3 before I got a reaction, it wasn't always the case, but as something that can be used for the hack 'n' slash genre, I don't think motion controllers would work. That's what Scottie asked, what genres are better with the standard controller over the Wiimote and I gave him a few and every one get's defensive. 

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

Doobie_wop said:
Khuutra said:

I reacted to the inputs pretty well, the game slows down and it's kinda got this huge arrowing flashing on screen, it's not hard to miss. I'd literally swing my Wiimote in that direction 2-3 before I got a reaction, it wasn't always the case, but as something that can be used for the hack 'n' slash genre, I don't think motion controllers would work. That's what Scottie asked, what genres are better with the standard controller over the Wiimote and I gave him a few and every one get's defensive.

I can say I've never experienced your particular problem, but I'm not being defensive - I pointed out what I thought to be factually inaccurate.

Khuutra said:
Doobie_wop said:
Khuutra said:

I can say I've never experienced your particular problem, but I'm not being defensive - I pointed out what I thought to be factually inaccurate.

That's fair enough, I made my point though and the defensive thing was me being rude, so ignore it.

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:
scottie said:
Doobie_wop said:
scottie said:
oniyide said:

Your Wiimote never drops out of sync? It doesn't start going spastic all over the screen and it barely registers? I find that hard to believe. I had to go to the sensor bar settings to adjust the sensitivity a few times. It's also nice how you ignored the rest of the post and tried to be funny with your Vii thing, good job. This also isn't an attack against the Wii, it's an attack against motion controls in general, the Wii is the only motion controller I have owned out of the bunch and so it's the only one I can give criticism on.

Move your tv, or at least your sensor bar away from the window, or close the curtains to some extent.

You're welcome :)

As for the bizarre problem that you have with NMH, I'm actually not able to help you there. This is probably because I have not had the problem, nor have any other people that I know who have played it.It sounds like your merely moving the wiimote wrong, which is about akin to pressing the wrong buttons and blaming the controller

Your Wiimote never drops out of sync? It doesn't start going spastic all over the screen and it barely registers? I find that hard to believe. I had to go to the sensor bar settings to adjust the sensitivity a few times. 

I can honestly say that I have never had a problem of that sort with my Wiimote and I sit a good 3 metres away from my sensor bar when playing

mike_intellivision said:

I like having the controller broken into two parts. 

I just wish there was not a wire connecting the two.

Mike from Morgantown

So, so agreed.  It's just inherently more comfortable and natural, I even prefer it for "traditional" games over the CC when given the option (SSBB, Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, etc), unless that game demands heavy usage of the 2nd analog (MH3).

Read this thread.  Good points for and against motion controls.  I'd like to point out that even Nintendo says that motion contol isn't ideal for every game.  One question, though:  Is there a sensitivity setting for the Wii sensor bar?  There may be but I don't remember ever seeing one.  I recall a setting for placing the bar above or below the TV but that's it.  Of course I haven't had to adjust those particular settings in years.

I prefer dual analog over wiimote and nunchuk. Especially the 360 pad. It just feels right. For me, motion controls add nothing to my enjoyment and IR-pointer might add something but then again, I do own a good mouse for pointing.

In some cases like madworld, I would really rather push a button than swing the remote.