By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Spike Video Game Awards or Why I'm Sad For Humanity.

I actually sat through Spike TV's bullshit awards show three years in a row. That is so sad.

Anyhoo, I missed this year's production. Yaaaay!!

Around the Network

This is why I stopped watching TV a good 5 or so years ago.

But Spike TV's target audience in particular is the most insulting shit ever.

It's worse than somebody trying to sell me Game Fuel.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Thank god we don't get Spike. Or MTV.

Rubang, glad to see your avatar is back to your fanservice.

Anyhow, I watched years 1 and 2 of Spike. I now have cancer, AIDS, and diabetes. I stopped caring.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

BrainBoxLtd said:
twesterm said:

Eventually they got to an award and for some reason they decided to paint the awards on naked women (really wasn't as hot as it sounds).  

You're telling me they actually fucked up simple fanservice? How is that even possible? Or was it because you were actually watching Spike and your higher brain function simply refused to remain active during the show?

EDIT: I retract my question. I just remembered I've actually seen Stripperella (my brain must of tried to bury that memory) and that failed to be, well anything other than god-awful.

don't knock stripperella! That show is 7 kinds of awesome =) Cheapo = best bad guy, ever

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

What was really sad was watching the Ultimate Fighter last night. They were pimping this 'big announcement' like it was going to be something huge. Then when the announcement came, it was nothing more than saying Forrest Griffen would be a coach and they would announce the other coach and something else at the VGA.

Joe Rogan had a great "WTF? that was it?" look. That pretty much told me everything I needed to know about the VGA.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
RolStoppable said:
Not everything on TV can be as good as Kim Possible.

my neice loves that show.

It's actually a quality show that I like to watch from time to time.  Just because a show is made so that little kids can enjoy it, doesn't necessarily mean that older people can't.

OT: This year's awards just sucked all around.  I agree with pretty much everything Rol said.  The ladies weren't hot, and I believe Samuel L. Jackson was the only person who didn't make a COMPLETE retard out of himself (I didn't think it was possible for Stan Lee to sound uncool).

That said, though, last year's show was MUCH more funny and intelligent.  Of course all the jokes were about games, but picture this:

Girls comes on stage and starts insulting the entire audience of gamers.  She tells them to get a life, that they are losers, they're overweight, they'll never go anywhere, yadayadayada all the usual stuff.  (Of course it was said in a funny-pseudo-serious way)  She goes on like this for a couple of minutes, and then she says:

"But there is one thing I have to thank you gamers for.  One thing that you have contributed to very positively:  you gamers are helping to rid the world of AIDS."

It was absolutely hilarious.  After the laughter died down, she went on:

"Seriously, the United States is dropping a million PS3's on Africa in order to reduce AIDS in Africa."

Also, the introduction scene, where an ensign rushes into Captain Samuel L. Jackson's office and tells him that aliens took 'all their base' and 'killed all their dudes', was fucking awesome.  That scene made intelligently funny references to Gears of War, Oblivion, Zelda, Resistance, WoW, and all the other big games of last year, as Samuel and his chainsa gun went around taking revenge on the aliens that he says, 'killed all my dudes!'

Last year's show was funny as hell.  It's only this year that was completely lame.

Another reason this year's show fails: SMG wasn't even nominated for GOTY (though they smartly gave it best Wii game and best Action game)

I just caught the last half hour of the re-run, and it actually made me mad. For the first time ever I am disgusted at the work of Samual L. Jackson. This is a show obviously completly paid for by Microsoft. Game of the year candidates 360 game 1, 2, 3, and 4, PS3 + Wii = 0. IMO this was a sad night for Video Games, and an even sadder one for gamers. I wish I could take back what I watched of it, because I never want to see that again. I am even a 19 year old male, and that was somthing that would completly push me away from games.

If I was to do a game awards show, I would make it more about the developers. I don't want to see a bunch of jackasses on stage acting like retadrs. Give me Dave Jaffe, give me Kudo Tsunoda, Jason Rubin, Ted Price, Cliffy B., Mark Rein, John Carmak, or anyone else that actually has something to do with games.These are the guys that deserve to be up on starge talking about games, getting recognized for their work. Is it to much to ask for , for just once to have a completly unbiased, unfanboy, ungangster show about Video Games? At that I end my rant.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I used to watch Spike when they had Highlander and Deep Space 9.

Deep Space 9 is actually pretty good... and highlander is a hilarious example of what happens when you have to have many many scenes set in the past yet have a low costume budget.

Nothing like seeing a regiment of british soldiers in rented holloween costumes bright as the sun with no dirt on the trapsing through the forrest.

But yeah... It's very sad.

Stan Lee lately has just gone, batshit crazy or just really wants to be even more famous or something. What with Stripparella... and all this stuff. I don't get it.

What the hell is Tila Tequila famous for anyway other then being on my one friends myspace? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

omgwtfbbq said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
twesterm said:

Eventually they got to an award and for some reason they decided to paint the awards on naked women (really wasn't as hot as it sounds).

You're telling me they actually fucked up simple fanservice? How is that even possible? Or was it because you were actually watching Spike and your higher brain function simply refused to remain active during the show?

EDIT: I retract my question. I just remembered I've actually seen Stripperella (my brain must of tried to bury that memory) and that failed to be, well anything other than god-awful.

don't knock stripperella! That show is 7 kinds of awesome =) Cheapo = best bad guy, ever

I'd rather watch VIP then Stripperella... and I HATE VIP.  Isn't it about time someone else gave Pam Anderson a show she stars in that doesn't last more then a half a season?