By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I just got Just Dance 2!!

djstrykermx said:

Anyone else thinking this game is successful just because it has a Lady Gaga song as the title? Funny thing is it doesn't even have the song!

That ALWAYS bothered me. Gaga is huge. Having that "Just Dance" song pretty much headline the game could've made it bigger.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

I didn't download the Katy Perry DLC song. Never cared for her music. She is sexy as hell though. I really dig her look.

Ahem, Back to the game. I tried like maybe half a dozen songs (maybe a bit more) and I think my highscore thus far was like 3000-ish for Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend". I know I must be "doing it wrong". Apparently you are supposed to follow the little guy's motions on the bottom and not the models on the dance floor but I couldn't get many points doing that so I tried (to the best of my ability. Sadly I epically failed to keep up) to mimic the models but still do poorly. lol.

my friend was trynna get me to buy this i was like fuuuuuck thaaaaat!.....man she was pissed at me all day for it too lol

djstrykermx said:

Anyone else thinking this game is successful just because it has a Lady Gaga song as the title? Funny thing is it doesn't even have the song!

she should sue... but sadly she doesn't own the words "just dance" lol

but yes it's almost obvious that's one of the reasons why the game is successful in europe at least...

mM
leo-j said:
Smeags said:

That's great. It's amazing how much I hear my (female) co-workers talk about how fun this game is. We can get so caught up in the reviews/graphics/sales/whatever of games that we forget that when a game allows people to have a blast, well... sometimes that's what it's all about.

Glad you and your girlfriend are enjoying the game.

you people don't realize that all you do is move the wii mote around, and it says "perfect" "good" "perfect" it barely tracks you at all, might as well just go on the wii browser and search for a karoeke dance video, and start moving the wii mote around, and bam you have just dance...

Try playing the game with friends with an open mind, instead of despising it for its success (or feeling too macho to get into it). The inaccuracy is half of what makes it so damn fun, honestly, accurate score tracking would not improve the game all that much. Besides, I find it hard to believe you'd be able to keep up with someone actually following the movements if you're just flailing your hand around - just try it yourself. And even if it did work, doing so is just like using cheats against your friends in a multiplayer game - the option is there, but why would you take it?

Goes really well with alcohol, definitely. My crazy friends wanted to have a tournament for this next time we play, should be hilarious. Actually, one of them (a PS3 only owner) is seriously considering getting a Wii because of this game.

Oh, finally, the game is $40 (only $10 off from normal games, but in case you cared). As for the youtube comment, the same could be said for many games nowadays that focus so heavily on cinematics (a friend of mine without a PS3 just watched all of MGS4 on youtube, was enough for him)

edit: Yeah, wish Gaga was in it, too. But don't kid yourself, the game sharing the song title wasn't the reason for its massive success. It was biggest in the UK, topping the charts for weeks, that doesn't happen without some crazy word of mouth.

Around the Network
c0rd said:
leo-j said:
Smeags said:

That's great. It's amazing how much I hear my (female) co-workers talk about how fun this game is. We can get so caught up in the reviews/graphics/sales/whatever of games that we forget that when a game allows people to have a blast, well... sometimes that's what it's all about.

Glad you and your girlfriend are enjoying the game.

you people don't realize that all you do is move the wii mote around, and it says "perfect" "good" "perfect" it barely tracks you at all, might as well just go on the wii browser and search for a karoeke dance video, and start moving the wii mote around, and bam you have just dance...

Try playing the game with friends with an open mind, instead of despising it for its success (or feeling too macho to get into it). The inaccuracy is half of what makes it so damn fun, honestly, accurate score tracking would not improve the game all that much. Besides, I find it hard to believe you'd be able to keep up with someone actually following the movements if you're just flailing your hand around - just try it yourself. And even if it did work, doing so is just like using cheats against your friends in a multiplayer game - the option is there, but why would you take it?

Goes really well with alcohol, definitely. My crazy friends wanted to have a tournament for this next time we play, should be hilarious. Actually, one of them (a PS3 only owner) is seriously considering getting a Wii because of this game.

Oh, finally, the game is $40 (only $10 off from normal games, but in case you cared). As for the youtube comment, the same could be said for many games nowadays that focus so heavily on cinematics (a friend of mine without a PS3 just watched all of MGS4 on youtube, was enough for him)

edit: Yeah, wish Gaga was in it, too. But don't kid yourself, the game sharing the song title wasn't the reason for its massive success. It was biggest in the UK, topping the charts for weeks, that doesn't happen without some crazy word of mouth.

In Amazon.com Just Dance has 636 reviews averaging 4.5 stars, Just Dance 2 has already 29 reviews and so far averages 5 stars.

In Amazon UK Just Dance has 539 reviews avergaing 4.5 stars, Just Dance 2 has so far 6 reviews averaging 5 stars.

Obviously people are enjoying these games and not just buying them because they expect a Lady Gaga song in there . At least the first one was a word of mouth game, look at its sales pattern in the US.

[edit]c0rd, I quoted you but this is not a response to you, I'm just reinforcing some of your points[/edit]

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

I just found out the Katy Perry DLC song was free. So I downloaded it. And holy shit it took up a huge chunk of the Wii's internal flash drive. Yikes. Luckily you can use SD media for DLC downloads.

Overall I danced through 20 out of the 45 (44 included on disc that 1 DLC) and re-tried a few. I've gotten better but I still suck. lol. My Highest Score is 6413 (Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend"). In some other tracks I'll get 3000 but there are some where I am in the 2000s or even below that. lol. Meanwhile I see screenshots online of people getting 12000 in this game. lol.

I noticed that Just Dance 2 got 72 on metacritic thus far. IGN UK gave it 8/10. Now that's more like it. Just Dance averaged a 49. Popularity does not necessarily equate to quality (I know personally I roll my eyes when I see a big-budget mass marketed HD game getting fellated with 10s by most of the reviewers on metacritic like it's the second coming of Christ. ie. GTA4. Is that game really that good or are critics and gamers just buying into the marketing blitz hype?) But if that many people like it, there must be a lot of redeeming qualities to it. Especially when most of those copies were sold via word-of-mouth (and not some insane marketing hype machine) and gamers getting hooked after trying it at a friend's place.

For every sales this game made, leo-j dies a little inside.