By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What about Russia , China and India?

Recently I hear more and more about the amazing sales of consoles in North America, Europe and Asia. But I noticed something recently I've even heard about sales of game consoles in Africa and South American countries. But I realized something two of the worlds biggest economies, the two countries with the largest populations in the world are not represented. Then I though what about Russia I haven't heard of Nintendo of India or Sony of Russia.

Now I know Nintendo tried going into China in the early millenium with the introduction of iQue. Now Nintendo didn't have that much success and plans to bring the Wii to China were cancelled in early 2008. Today China controls gaming with only a certain amount of time allowed to be spent playing them. Consoles in China have effectevly banned however their have been new rip off consoles like the Vii and a newer platform has also been rumoured for China. So why haven't Nintendo , Microsoft or Sony tried their luck launching their platforms in China? I guess piracy might also be a reason but China is almost the worlds biggest economy theirs got to be a market for consoles.

India, now I know Nintendo Sony and Microsoft all launched their platforms in india. Though none of them have oppened headquarters there. I was watching CBC a few days ago and they said India was growing faster then any country in the world. Apparently India will have a larger population then China very soon. So with such a huge market why don't we hear much about gaming in India. Is their a huge market (Yes/No) and if yes or no why aren't companies rushing in to take advantage of the market. A country democratic none the less of that size should be a huge market.

Russia, another huge market. A population density similiar to the US. A similiar global super power with a huge economy. Yet you don't hear much about the console manufacturers taking advantage of this market place. I notice nobody talks about Russia. You'd think their would be a market in that country?

Now other then China I know all three companies are present in Russia and India. But why are their markets so small and shouldn't the big three be doing more to target those markets? I'd also be interested in knowing how many units of software and hardware are sold in those countries?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

What about the Middle East ? everyone is a gamer there.

and a lot of people on this site are from there.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

My understanding is EMEAA stands for Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia/Australasia so sales are tracked, at least to some extent

india has 875 million  out of 1.1 billion that live on less than 2 dollars a day, they need to save for many years and stave to buy a 300 dollar machine. Sure there are rich people and yes they have consoles, but not to rich. oh btw those like 225 million most a again still poor execpt for a growing mega rich society and wealthy middle class again most have video game consoles. Also Since Australia is not the sweat shop game devoloper country any more game publishers are looking to India, EA has studios there since the AUD is now equal with US they shut down the Australian studios and move shop to cheaper India. 

Russia will have the by far greatest buying power per person in the next few years, what i mean the people in Russia will be able to get what they want, cheap. So yes there is a big market opportunity there which i am sure the big 3 are selling at. 

China has the second biggest piracy rates in the world next to the USA, but since the US market for games is so big its balances out but not in china.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

^^ just came back to say that, beat me to it...though I don't know about the russian economical growth.

India although a growing economy, has a a rediculously disproportioned distrubution of wealth.Something like a third of the worlds impoverished live in India. By impoverished I mean those that live below the base measured earnings line of $1.25 per day.

Around the Network

China is a PC gaming market;..

And this site is 99% about console games.

To give you an idea:

China's entertainment and media industry may grow by an annual rate of 12 percent, far higher than the global average rate of 5 percent, to hit $ 133 billion in 2014, according to a new report released on Tuesday.

The country's entertainment and media industry ranked as the world's fourth-largest in revenue last year, following the United States, Japan and Germany, said accountancy giant PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PwC) in its latest global entertainment and media outlook (2010-14) report.

Globally, the entertainment and media market may expand to $ 1.7 trillion in 2014 from last year's $ 1.3 trillion, predicted PwC. Internet advertising, video gaming, and internet access were the three fastest-growing sectors last year.

In 2009, China replaced the Republic of Korea to become the second largest video gaming market in the Asia Pacific and the third largest in the world, with a market share of $ 4.5 billion, the report said. Online gaming accounted for 84 percent.

PwC China partner Pan Chenyu said China is now the world's largest online gaming market, contributing one-third to the global revenue in this sector in 2009, or 56 percent of the Asia Pacific total.

China's video gaming sector is expected to grow by an annual rate of 33.5 percent, contributing two-thirds of the sector's total growth in Asia Pacific in the coming five years, the PwC report said.

China also had the fastest growing movie market in 2009 as its box office revenue grew by 47 percent year-on-year, said the report, predicting that the upward trend is set to continue.

Revenue of China's Internet advertising industry is expected to reach $ 8.2 billion in 2014, a jump from last year's $ 2.8 billion, and Internet search advertising revenue may soar to $ 4.9 billion from less than $ 200 million in 2005, according to PWC China partner Wu Binghui.

China is PC/MMO market, though Lenovo tries to launch a console there.

Russia must be PC country, too. What I heard about consoles presence there is suprisingly reverse order: 1. Sony 2. Microsoft 3. Nintendo

I think this fact proves anti-human nature of Commies once for all :E

MDMAniac said:

China is PC/MMO market, though Lenovo tries to launch a console there.

Russia must be PC country, too. What I heard about consoles presence there is suprisingly reverse order: 1. Sony 2. Microsoft 3. Nintendo

I think this fact proves anti-human nature of Commies once for all :E

Has to be a joke?

Stealth Trolling? Sony fans = commies?

Just a note, China is not "nearly the worlds biggest economy". It probably will be in a few decades but its not close at the moment.

The reality about China and India is that the average income isn't that great, its an improving situation but I don't think we'll see much in those markets until everyone gets weathier. This is further hampered by rampant piracy and knockoff hardware in China. Plus its more of a pc focused market at the moment anyway I think.

No idea about Russia, but I do know its a booming market for the film industry (as in China) and I think the stalker pc games sell very well there. So it may be more pc focused aswell?

There is no Nintendo in Russia, but there are Sony and MS here. They do sell a lot of stuff beside games you know.

Russian PSN exists from the lunch here, but Russian XBL will be opened soon. A lot of publisher do translate their games to Russian, inclusing Sony and MS.

Nintendo console are sold by partners and prices in this area are prices are high here.

Still market is slim and Russians prefer PC gaming and pirated games (PC games are very cheap here).

Play my LittleBigLove level: search keywords "LittleBigLove realil"

LJ (Russian): http://realill.livejournal.com