By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow impressions

Where do I begin? I'll begin with saying I'm only about 1 hour into this game and its already epic. I believe this game is seperated into chapters which are further seperated into segments. The first chapter is seperated into 5 segments and I've already been in 3 different enviroments, seen 6 different enemies and fought 2 mini bosses. If the game keeps this pace it may very well become the best hack n' slash I've played. Yes I said hack n' slash because this game is similar to God of War and in my opinion may surpass it in quality. Combat is very satisfying with tons of different moves that you unlock by buying them with experience points. The thing I love about this game is in the pause menu you have a book which you open and that is the interface for selecting moves, seeing your inventory, etc. Its very well done.

Graphically the game started about as you would expect but once I hit the third segment which was in the bog (swamp) the graphics blew me away. This game is on par with Uncharted 2 and God of War III, so far. I bought the PS3 version because I'm trying to show both my consoles love and since I bought Reach it was time for the PS3. I'm assuming both versions of the game look identical or similar so if this is the case the 360 definitely can push God of War graphics.

Musically this game is up there with the best of the best, so far. I find myself just sitting back and listening to the music in the background before proceeding farther because it is so good.

Overall I say buy this game. It is a must have and I don't know how IGN managed to give this game a 7.5. Its a 9 in my book. I haven't beaten it yet but I'm pretty sure its only going to get better from here on out.

Around the Network

Sounds awesome. I'm jealous.

Sweet, I hope I can time for it.

Nice impressions. But in terms of being the best hack n' slash, I think Ninja Gaiden will remain my favorite. I'll find out once I get this game, I guess.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Is it true this game has some of the music from Super Castlevania 4 (SNES)?

SC4 may be a 20 year old game, but imo it still has some of the best soundtrack ever.

Around the Network
JGarret said:

Is it true this game has some of the music from Super Castlevania 4 (SNES)?

SC4 may be a 20 year old game, but imo it still has some of the best soundtrack ever.

Simon's Theme and level prelude music is epic.

Limestone cave and library music was nice as well.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

One thing I have noticed so far is there definitely aren't near the amount of enemies that GOWIII has. They don't respawn over and over as much and not as many battles. As I said I'm not far into this game but either that is bad or good depending on how much you like to fight as opposed to checking out the scenery and exploring.

huaxiong90 said:

Nice impressions. But in terms of being the best hack n' slash, I think Ninja Gaiden will remain my favorite. I'll find out once I get this game, I guess.

Dude... your similarities to me are starting to get scary.

I'm loving the production values of this game: cutscenes, music, graphics, variety in enemies and environments... It's incredible. The only thing putting me off is the gameplay. From the videos I've watched it just looks clunky and I hate how the action periodically stops when you hit an enemy. Granted, I haven't played the game myself yet (gonna try the demo tonight) and I also liked Darksiders (got a similar feeling of gameplay from watching vids before release) so I hope to enjoy it.

priteshmodi said:
huaxiong90 said:

Dude... your similarities to me are starting to get scary.

I'm loving the production values of this game: cutscenes, music, graphics, variety in enemies and environments... It's incredible. The only thing putting me off is the gameplay. From the videos I've watched it just looks clunky and I hate how the action periodically stops when you hit an enemy. Granted, I haven't played the game myself yet (gonna try the demo tonight) and I also liked Darksiders (got a similar feeling of gameplay from watching vids before release) so I hope to enjoy it.

As I have just beaten the first chapter I can tell you its not clunky at all the the gameplay is super smooth. The action you are talking about when it stops when you perform it I haven't experienced yet or I don't have that ability so I can't confirm nor deny it but so far the game is great.

Graphically its up there with the best of the best but I'll say the character models (human) are a notch below UC2 but still good. The other character models (enemies, etc) are as good as anything up there.  Environmentally its as good as it gets. Production values are awesome. This game close to a movie like experience.

So we're definitely looking at a 15 hour game at least as I have just beaten the first chapter (took me 1 1/2 hrs) and it shows there are 11 more. One more thing......THERE IS A WORLD MAP! You can go back to any chapter or section to replay and find things you have missed or replay them once your experience and abilities get more advanced so you can explore areas you previously couldn't.