By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - what is so good about Blade Runner?

The movie dosn't come out and slap you in the face with the fact he is one. What give it away is the dream scene with the unicorn. At the end Deckard spots a origami figure of a unicorn showing that Gaff knows Deckard's dreams. 

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network
darklich13 said:

The movie dosn't come out and slap you in the face with the fact he is one. What give it away is the dream scene with the unicorn. At the end Deckard spots a origami figure of a unicorn showing that Gaff knows Deckard's dreams. 

I see.

Towards the end of the movie I was like "finish,finish, finish, finish, I want to eat , finish!", I didn't expect it to be revealed that way, nice.

sad.man.loves.vgc said:
thelifatree said:

atmosphere is outstanding.... the ending, the story, the souindtrack, it's paced so where so you feel the world, instead of being forced scene to scene. imo

but I don't blame you if you don't like it, my girlfriend doesn't, my best friend and brother do.

Well I admit I liked the atmosphere a lot!

Anyway, the thread seems pointless to me now since it's all about taste. It's just that I was expecting a masterpiece after all the praise the movie got and is still getting > http://movies.ign.com/articles/677/677739p5.html

but it is a masterpiece

and many agree

it sounds like its not your kind of thing,i'd be interested to hear some of your favourite movies,ones that you enjoy not what you think you should enjoy

i am a big movie lover and like all genres

Above & Beyond

zuvuyeay said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
thelifatree said:

atmosphere is outstanding.... the ending, the story, the souindtrack, it's paced so where so you feel the world, instead of being forced scene to scene. imo

but I don't blame you if you don't like it, my girlfriend doesn't, my best friend and brother do.

Anyway, the thread seems pointless to me now since it's all about taste. It's just that I was expecting a masterpiece after all the praise the movie got and is still getting > http://movies.ign.com/articles/677/677739p5.html

but it is a masterpiece

and many agree

it sounds like its not you're kind of thing,i'd be interested to hear some of your favourite movies,ones that you enjoy not what you think you should enjoy

I enjoy movies a lot, lots of them!

here are some of my favourites:

American beauty , The human stain, momento , district nine, the first and only the first terminator, the green mile, pulp fiction, jurrasic park, the prestige, pan's labyrinth, oldboy , the war at home, clueless, hitch , shrek, the dark knight, inception, watchmen ... the list goes on

EDIT: I know many agree that the movie is a masterpiece and I did admit that the thread is kind of pointless lol

sad.man.loves.vgc said:
zuvuyeay said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
thelifatree said:

but it is a masterpiece

and many agree

it sounds like its not you're kind of thing,i'd be interested to hear some of your favourite movies,ones that you enjoy not what you think you should enjoy

American beauty , The human stain, momento , district nine, the first and only the first terminator, the green mile, pulp fiction, jurrasic park, the prestige, pan's labyrinth, oldboy , the war at home, clueless, hitch , shrek, the dark knight, inception, watchmen ... the list goes on

EDIT: I know many agree that the movie is a masterpiece and I did admit that the thread is kind of pointless lol

i enjoy those movies too,

i liked all the terminators even 4,but i'm easily pleased

don't know the war at home and haven't seen inception yet but looking forward to the blu-ray rental when its out

Above & Beyond

Around the Network
badgenome said:

Rutger Hauer.

Agreed he is fucking amazing in it. He steals every scene he's in with Harrison Ford.

zuvuyeay said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
zuvuyeay said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
thelifatree said:

but it is a masterpiece

and many agree

i enjoy those movies too,

i liked all the terminators even 4,but i'm easily pleased

don't know the war at home and haven't seen inception yet but looking forward to the blu-ray rental when its out

I watched the war at home years ago on tv, I wasn't expecting anything but the movie was really really  REALLY good, watch it!

The terminator 4 was better than 3 and probably 2 but non of them comes close to the first one in my opinion, actually I thought they were bad too.

Inception felt fresh and "new".

I am easily pleased too and I enjoy wide range of movies and music.

I found the film to be sickeningly pretentious. 

It seemed like a movie made by an art student who had a gigantic budget. The same kind of art student who today would sit and watch some woman play with a hoola-hoop with flashing lights on it for 20 minutes, and think "that's one of the most amazing things I have EVER seen!".

I felt pacing was terrible. The dialogue and characters felt very inorganic (and not just because some were replicants); it required a huge effort to actually care about any of the characters. I always feel like I had to make a strong effort to appreciate the film.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

sad.man.loves.vgc said:
darklich13 said:

I see.

Towards the end of the movie I was like "finish,finish, finish, finish, I want to eat , finish!", I didn't expect it to be revealed that way, nice.

Yea, its one of those movies you really need to watch several times.  Watch the movie again with the notion of Deckard being a Replicant and you start to see a different side to the whole movie.  What sucks is when the movie was initionally realesed in1982, the Unicorn dream secuience was not in the movie.  Instead they put in Harrison Ford voice overs which dumbed down the story and they also added a "Happy Ending" with Deckard and Rachael escaping from the city.  These changes were done by the movie studio without Ridly Scott's approval.     

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

You tell me... and if you can't watch it until you can.

What is it with all the 'what is so good... can someone explain this..." threads I keep seeing all over the gaming/film boards at the moment?

Work it out yourself - that's the point.

Yeah, I know, snarky.  But true.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...