By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Financial Times Germany: Wii at 30.2% worldwide market share

Article in FTD (Financial Times Deutschland) on how sony increased sales in November and finally outsold Wii in Japan with 183 K vs. 160K (Wii). Some market data supposedly received from Nikko Citigroup (analysts) included. Here the goods:

Marketshare worldwide in 2007 (estimate): X360 41.4%, Wii 30.2%, PS3 28.4%

Sold units in million: wii 2007: 6 mn., 2008: 18 mn.; ps3: 2007: 5 mn., 2008: 9 mn.; X360: 2007: 7 mn., 2008: 11 mn.

Analyst statement from Soichiro Fukuda (Nikko Citigroup): Marketshare wordwide by 2012: Wii: 46%; X360: 33% and PS3: 22%

My take on this:

1. Someone mixed up numbers in this article. I think the data they give as 2007 is actually 2006 and the data they give as 2008 is actually 2007 (mixed financial years (Financial year 2008 ending in March 2008????) with "real" years in their charts?). If so, very bad writing/ presentation of facts.

2. Very interesting estimate of 2012 marketshare. I would say PS3 is a bit low in this estimate, as it already is at about 18% and picking up steam.

Lets discuss! Would value your opinions. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

This is a REPOST!

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

haha germans, they need to stick at what they're good at lol :P

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

darthdevidem said:
This is a REPOST!

was already posted? didnt realise. sorry. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

@faxanadu

yes it was around 3 days ago...

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

I DO NOT support Xbox

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Around the Network
darthdevidem said:
@faxanadu

yes it was around 3 days ago...

yes, its the newspaper from Friday. I had a look at the sales topics and none seemed to relate to it, so i figured it wasnt on here yet. anyhow, glad to hear there is more members reading FTD, as this means we have some serious people on here.

RolStoppable said:
1. The numbers are so weird, no matter how you put it. I call Schwachfug.

2. The Wii is way too low and the 360 and PS3 are too high. By 2012 the Wii should be at least at or close to 70 % marketshare, the other two should be pretty even with an advantage for the 360.

I know you're a fanboy but 70% give me a break :)

@rolstoppable

puhh-lease

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

I DO NOT support Xbox

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

@rol: I also think your number might be a bit high. I would say over 50% yes, but not 70%.

Xbox 360 + PS3 > Wii , No matter how you cut the cake. Anything above 50% marketshare for the Wii is a joke. I think the black friday week is a good guestimation of how the console wars will play out till the end. That was everyone's best week and a good idea of the the mindshare each console has on the general public.