By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why do the PS3 controllers hurt so damn much?

I used to play a lot of fighters on the PS2 (and other consoles for that matter), and I actually still do whenever I get the chance. I've found that the PS2 Controller is pretty much the best suited controller for fighting games. A nice, soft D-Pad, slick outer coating which doesn't irritate the palms, 4 face buttons and 4 shoulder buttons and all with directional precision. You could button mash for days on end and your hands would come out unscathed- it's truly a remarkable fighter controller.

Now I pretty much expected the same thing from the PS3 controller, but I was dead wrong. The outer coating feel much rougher, the D-Pad was INCREDIBLY stiff/hard, and the R2/L2 button- although not a huge problem- slow you down a tad when you try to press down repeatedly. The face buttons and the top shoulder buttons were the only thing that came out right.

By the end of a 3 hour "King of Fighters" session I had with a couple buddies, I had a terribly painful blister on my left thumb from the extra hard D-Pad (which hindered my performance near the end), and my palms were slightly irritated. The only controller D-Pad that's ever ruined my thumb like that before was the N64's (and for those who remember, that thing was like a friggen rock).

Has anyone else noticed these problems? I'm quite surprised I've heard so little about it. The differences are instantly noticeable when you pick a PS2/3 controller.

Is there any news on Dual Shock 3 becoming more like its PS2 counterpart, or is it just going to be a PS3 controller with rumble?

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

Around the Network

They seem the exact same to me. Maybe you're ps2 controller is just really worn-in? I'll give you the R2/L2 complaint.

seems the same for me... im happy they got the triggers so much easyer for racing

Own all Sony Stuff PS123P

Feburday 28th will be a Owner of a Wii

Currently playing: Need for Speed Pro Street

Games i own:
NEED FOR SPEED PRO STREET ,DW6 ,WARHAWK ,COD4,JUICED 2 ,RESISTANCE, MOTORSTORM

Games im lookin forward to:
UT3 (Ps3) , HAZE (Ps3) , KZ2 (Ps3) , MGS4 (Ps3) , SSBB (WII) , GT5 (Ps3) LBP (Ps3)
08 Predictions

Wii: 45,000,000
Ds: 90,000,000
PS3: 25,000,000
PSP: 40,000,000
360: 26,000,000

CLEANING BUMP !!!

Time to Work !

i like te trigger system better then the old controller :) no problems with hurting eather

Around the Network

Man, are you guys sure? It feels so different to me -.-

Makingmusic might be right about the differences being caused from a "worn in" controller vs a newer one, but I'm certain the D-Pad feels very hard compared to a PS2 controller!

Gah! I should just buy a new PS2 controller and see if it's any different X_X

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

its the same to me except for the triggers

Yeah virtually the same I still find it to be very comfortable.

I agree that it is probably just wear, as they feel the same to me. My only problems with the sixaxis are it's weight (should be sorted with dualshock 3) and the poorly designed triggers - why wouldn't they make them concave?

only tried them once... so i really dunno lol. But from what you r saying it sounds pretty uncomfy :S