By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MOVE - 300,000 Units Sold in First Ten Days!

CGI-Quality said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
darthdevidem01 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

A lot of hypocrisy in this thread.

When a big of even decent game of a franchise sells like this, its called a flop - Lets take Other M lately. Under 2 % of the PS3's base bought it. Fail.

Move is a new peripheral expected to start off slow, not a 20 year franchise the likes of Metroid. Hardly comparable.

This.

Not to mention NINTENDO expected Other M to sell much much more than Corruption......Other M will be selling less than Corruption in actuality.

I just used Other M as example, because i spend some threads discussing it with Khuutra - and therfore it popped up first in my memory. There are many other - newer, if you will -  games where a similar debut were deemed a flop. Hypocrisy! 

Move is just another peripheral, thats the excuse? Its supposed to be a new breath for the PS3 - an expansion of their audience. Sony dedicated a lot of time to it. In all its conferences of 2010 move was front and center. You couldn't miss it. Therefore, this is a bad start for the move. 

But you're missing the key piece here - it was never expected to start off high. It started off good enough though, which is what people are mainly commenting on. You're turning it into something it shouldn't be.

A month ago, Sony said it didn't expect massive sales. What's not massive? Its very subjective, like it was supposed to be - most likely because of the low pre-orders. The statement was pure PR. If it did high, then you act hardly surprised, and if it does low, then you say it did just under expectations. Standard PR-practice.

The following holiday season will show move's further strength or weakness. In any way, Sony compaign for the casual audience started off bad. Certainly for all the attention and money they gave it. Sony's lack of a statement about the debut sales says enough. If you can't say anything nice, then say nothing at all.

Again: for a huge 'first party' game, peripheral or whatever these are not good debut sales. Rather bad.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

I'll say it again. If Wii Fit or Motion plus sold like this people would be calling them the flop of the generation. There would be no end of Nintendo dooom threads.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

CGI-Quality said:
Grimes said:

I'll say it again. If Wii Fit or Motion plus sold like this people would be calling them the flop of the generation. There would be no end of Nintendo dooom threads.

And I'll say it again, it wouldn't make their case true or valid.

I believe it is reasonable to make a valid comparison. They are hardware exansions to existing console.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

CGI-Quality said:
Grimes said:
CGI-Quality said:
Grimes said:

And I'll say it again, it wouldn't make their case true or valid.

I believe it is reasonable to make a valid comparison. They are hardware exansions to existing console.

I think you misunderstood - just because someone calls something a "flop" or "failure" doesn't mean they're correct. It just means either a. something didn't meet their personal expectations or b. they're heavily biased.

Well then, you could make that excuse for anything. 

CGI-Quality said:

Indeed you could, because internet go-ers opinions mean jack shit in the real world.

Then what is this purpose of this site if not to discuss such issues?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Grimes said:
CGI-Quality said:

Indeed you could, because internet go-ers opinions mean jack shit in the real world.

I didn't say we couldn't discuss sales, obviously I wouldn't be here either if I felt that way. But my opinion means little to shareholders, manufacturers, and higher-ups making money. As far as I'm concerned, if Sony expected a slow burner (which they did), and this is where it started, I see nothing wrong with it, especially if such sales are sustained.

What Sony or any company say is PR and should be taken with a grain of salt. I believe that Sony declared it a 'slow-burner' only after it realized that demand wasn't that high. The retailer interest wasn't very high, so they adjusted their statement as damage control.

CGI-Quality said:
Grimes said:
CGI-Quality said:

I didn't say we couldn't discuss sales, obviously I wouldn't be here either if I felt that way. But my opinion means little to shareholders, manufacturers, and higher-ups making money. As far as I'm concerned, if Sony expected a slow burner (which they did), and this is where it started, I see nothing wrong with it, especially if such sales are sustained.

Expecting somethint to sell poorly isn't a defense for something selling poorly.

Afterall, move had to cost quite a bit of money.  If I spend ten million dollars developing a gun that shoots mustard, and I only expect 1 to sell to myself for $5.99 and I sell 2... it still sold poorly.

It selling how it does means a lot to shareholders, manufactuers and higher ups... because it puts it still in a troubled situation.  For all we know, Sony could of expected it to sell slow, simply because they realized via their market research that it was going to sell poorly.

We don't really know any better then we did before launch if it'll succeed or fail.  All you can really say definitly... is that it's opening sales didn't make it a successs.

CGI-Quality said:
Kasz216 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Grimes said:
CGI-Quality said:

Expecting somethint to sell poorly isn't a defense for something selling poorly.

Afterall, move had to cost quite a bit of money.  If I spend ten million dollars developing a gun that shoots mustard, and I only expect 1 to sell to myself for $5.99 and I sell 2... it still sold poorly.

It selling how it does means a lot to shareholders, manufactuers and higher ups... because it puts it still in a troubled situation.  For all we know, Sony could of expected it to sell slow, simply because they realized via their market research that it was going to sell poorly.

We don't really know any better then we did before launch if it'll succeed or fail.  All you can really say definitly... is that it's opening sales didn't make it a successs.

But what you consider "selling poorly" doesn't make it a poorly selling product. And as far as it being a success, since none of us know anything for sure, it will remain opinionated and speculated to the contrary/favoring.

That's pretty much the angle of my logic.

Except... people have given actual logic as to why they see it as a poorly selling product.

Your only defense so far has been "Sony expected it to sell like this" and hope basically.

You haven't even quoted or suggested a similar situation in which said hope is justified.

It basically feals like you have no arguement, therefore your pulling out a catchall defense soley because you want a catchall wait and see defense without actually analyzing anything about it.

300,000 sales for the move is i believe... lower then the Rumble packs debuts on the N64.

Move is selling fine. It should end up having 1-2 million by the end of this year.

Well, after sony said the pspgo sold as expected.....I just can't trust sony on that matter (expected sell, good/bad sales for X product..)