By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metacritic is a poor gauge of game quality see why

Barozi said:
d21lewis said:
Barozi said:
d21lewis said:

While I was out earlier, I checked out the new 360 game Hydrophobia on Metacritic.  One thing that stood out was one of my favorite sites (well they were when the old EGM--not this fake EGM we get nowadays--was still in publication) 1up gave the game something like a 58.  What!?  I played the demo last night and I planned to buy the game today.  They gave the game a C and Metacritic translated their score for them.  Now I don't know about you but where I live, a C means anywhere from a 75% to a 79% (and for clarity, a B is 80-84,a B is and 85-89, an A is 90-94, and an A is 95-100).  I don't think that such a low score is what 1up had in mind!

Now I'm getting the game anyway and in the end, the score is arbitrary but I don't think Meta should be in the business of converting scores like that.

so what's an A- B- and C- then ?

What the heck is this?  Calculus?

I was kidding!  But no.  My school didn't have those grades.  It also didn't have "D's".  A 70 was a C and everything below that was an F.  But you make a good point.  1up has A-, B-, so on and so forth.  But I don't think they use them as a 10 point scale like Meta is trying to do.  In fact, I know they don't.  They wrote a protest about it in the SSF4 issue earlier this year.  I'll see if I can dig it up.