By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS sales hit 40 million worldwide

well i dont know but i am sure it will sell more units than the ps2 in japan.

Around the Network

woohoo! time to celebrate for nintendo by buying a second, different colored version of the ds! :)  actually i dont mind buying another one.  it's like a collectible with a different color.  too bad the US doesn't have navy blue.  i would love that color.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Delusional said:
woohoo! time to celebrate for nintendo by buying a second, different colored version of the ds! :) actually i dont mind buying another one. it's like a collectible with a different color. too bad the US doesn't have navy blue. i would love that color.

Now, if it somehow had changeable covers...

Good to see this site is still going 

Make that 40,000,002!

My girlfriend and I just ordered ours online and they'll be here within days. Only one major problem. We can't play them until our anniversary on the 28th!!! It will be a very painful month!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

What a great number of units to be sold in such a short time.

I wonder how the PSP would have done had it been released at the same price? 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

"Will DS hit 100m in its lifetime?"

Thats a big question that has multiple answers. It really just depends on how you phrase the question. Will THIS DS + DSLite hit 100m? Possibly. It'll get close to 90-95, if not more, within the next 2-3 years. The big question is how long nintendo decides to keep the DS.

I know I use the same argument as the Wii, but I just wonder if/when Sony will launch the PSP2 (before a new DS, imo), and if/when Nintendo responds to it.

Provided Nintendo keeps the DS family going...The DS family will easily beat out the Gameboy family (GB, GBC, GBA)'s lifetime sales by a mile, and could get close to rivaling the Playstation family of consoles.

Right now we got:

Playstation Family: 235m units (105m for PS1, 128m for PS2, 5m for PS3)

Gameboy Family: 199m units (via Wikipedia for GB, GBC, GBA, GBASP, GBM)

Nintendo Entertainment System Family: 109m (via wikipedia for NES and SNES)

Double-Screen Family: 40m (DS + DSLite)

Xbox Family: 35m (Xbox + Xbox 360)

The DS family, provided it gets atleast 1 more revision before Nintendo switches to a new system, should pass the Gameboy family. If Nintendo keeps the DS family for 15 years (another 14.5 years), then it should become, by a small margin, the largest family of gaming systems at around 400 million units sold.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I think the DS could use another (more subtle) case shrink in 2008, but I don't see what features of the PSP 2 could threaten it, so we might not see new hardware from Nintendo for a while. Unless they go for expanded media functionality.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

I think it could reach the 85-90 millions, but due to production problems is not going to reach the PS2 levels, if they make a DS 2(or advance or whatever) they could reach the the GB levels, the big question is when they are going to release another system?(Sony, Nintnedo and even M$)

The next handheld gen will be quite interesting.

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d 

mrstickball said:

Playstation Family: 235m units (105m for PS1, 128m for PS2, 5m for PS3)

Not 105/128 but 102/115 (end 2006), and don't forget that's is just a shipment figures.

And I don't understand why do you create separate category like "Nintendo Entertainment System Family" or "DS Family"

Because of name?

So N64 and GCN (about 55.5 mln) aren't part of this "Family" (Nintendo home consoles)?

the Nintendo64 should be part of the nintendo home console groups at least.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!