By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Wii or Playstation 3?

twesterm said:
To you people saying the PS3 will be cheaper: it's not going under $350 within the next few years and it's going to stay at $399 for a good while. I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near $250 until near the end of its life cycle.

it will probably get a price drop next year but not a 200$ one more like a 50$ price drop

Around the Network
koffieboon said:
twesterm said:
To you people saying the PS3 will be cheaper: it's not going under $350 within the next few years and it's going to stay at $399 for a good while. I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near $250 until near the end of its life cycle.

Do you think it will still be at the same price point next holiday? I really don't believe it, even if Sony doesn't want to drop their price they will likely be forced to do so by Microsoft. Cause 360 will definitely get a price drop somewhere next year, and Sony will need to follow or just leave the console business altogether.

I could believe at most a $50 price drop but I really don't think it will happen.  Sony has already made a lot of sacrifices for their PS3 and it's going to be a good long while before we see a price drop.

Well, you want to have the most fun with the console.

A) Are you wireless and can play online with both? - PS3 still has better online, the Wii is still struggling to catch up, but is beggining to have an online offering.

B) Do friends come over to play games? Ps3 has some strange limitations on playing their games with multiple people. The most reliable game is Warhawk. Others will not let you lan, play online, and in some cases, don't even have split screen. I hope that improves. Wii however, generally has 4 players on simple, quick party games, few long term alternatives.

C) You've listed 3 good games for each system (Though I'd add Warhawk to the Ps3s), but where will you go next for them? Unless you want shiny sports games, for the PS3 you're waiting a bit longer, and though the Wii games mostly aren't FPS, you've got some very good choices for games. IF you pause and say "I can't think of any more PS3 games I want, but my next purchase for Wii would be" or vice versa, can't think of Wii games, it's all about the games. If you want more from Ps3 (Right now), get one.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

leo-j said:
THIS SITE IS 95% WII FANBOYS.

Do not listen to them post it on gametrailers.

leo-j is a PS3 fan and knows you won't take just his opinion, so he wants you to go somewhere where you will get a LOT of PS3 favored answers. Why is the gametrailers userbase more in line with PS3 fans? Well just consider the nature of the site, Trailers, visuals, etc. Wii is fun to be played, but does not impress when compared with PS3 or 360. When watching a video, the main comparison is well....visuals, so naturally PS3 fans will flock to gametrailers and naturally leo-j will want you to ask your question there.

Wii is the globally popular system, so VGChartz shows how popular it is through the charts. PS3 has half the sales as Wii. So naturally, on VGChartz are going to be many more Wii supporters than PS3 supporters.

I bet if you went into the general public, because of the Wii's demand and bigger userbase, that most people would favor Wii over the PS3 because of these same type of trends. So would you rather get a PS3 because a small grouping of users on a site want you to get it? or would you rather look at the whole public to get your answer. On average more people will probably stand behind Wii than the PS3 but if you limited yourself to these niche gaming sites, you would not get unbiased answers even if they are in support of Wii as well.

Perhaps you are asking the wrong questions.  Maybe you should ask, What does Wii have for me? on a Wii knowledgable forum and What does PS3 have for me? on a PS3 knowledgable forum.  Then You can make your own decision.   

Get Wii now, and get PS3 when the price drops to 200$. That's the time when all the exclusives that you're looking forward will be out.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
koffieboon said:
twesterm said:

Do you think it will still be at the same price point next holiday? I really don't believe it, even if Sony doesn't want to drop their price they will likely be forced to do so by Microsoft. Cause 360 will definitely get a price drop somewhere next year, and Sony will need to follow or just leave the console business altogether.

I could believe at most a $50 price drop but I really don't think it will happen. Sony has already made a lot of sacrifices for their PS3 and it's going to be a good long while before we see a price drop.

They will be forced to do pricedrops as long as PS3 doesn't start selling some respectable numbers(which at the moment it is, but we'll see how it sells after holiday season). They've invested shitloads of money, and they're loosing it constantly on selling hardware/marketing, so it's crucial toreach some critical mass before the major software gets out so they can start having some profit from it

twesterm said:
koffieboon said:
twesterm said:

I could believe at most a $50 price drop but I really don't think it will happen. Sony has already made a lot of sacrifices for their PS3 and it's going to be a good long while before we see a price drop.

Actually, they only lowered their price by 100 dollar this year, I really don't see why they can't do the same next year, especially with their 500 dollar SKU. I expect Microsoft to lower the 360 Arcade to 199 dollar next holiday season and the Premium will likely be under 300 dollar as well. So unless Sony releases a 300 dollar PS3 they will be heavily outpriced.

This really is a pointless argument so I'll just say this: y'all have some wild expectations.

Cheat1011 said:
I was going to get a Wii back in 06, but I couldn't find it ANYWHERE, so I just got a 360. The PS3's 600 dollar price tag was a huge turn off, there was no way I was going get it.
I totally agree with you I cant find a wii either and that sucks!

Official Member of the Xbox 360 squad!

It all depends on what type of games you play.

That being said, since you have an Xbox 360, it does not make much sense to also get a PS3, if you enjoy playing Mario games and min-games. Thus, you should buy a Wii.

If you are a fan of sports, shooters, slashers, and single-player quests, the PS3 would probably be better.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV