By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Just bought a 27" iMac i7 :)

So my current setup is a 4 year old Mac Book Pro hooked up to a Dell 30" monitor (2560x1600). I also have a gaming computer hooked up to the same screen. When I want to use one or the other, I have to swap the cable.

I have an HD 5870 video card on my Gaming rig with a displayport.

The cool thing about the 27" iMac (2560x1440), is not only does the mini displayport on the back allow you to hook up a second display, you can use it as an input, so you can use your 27" display as a monitor. So I can hook it to my Gaming rig, and get rid of both the Dell and the laptop. Clean up a lot of space on my desk.

The computer was $1,899 (Apple Refurbished from there website). My Dell I can sell for $600 or so, and the laptop for around that. Not bad of an upgrade for a delta of $700 bucks.

P.S. If you have not seen the screen on the new iMacs, your missing out. They are the most incredible displays ever made. I could buy a 27" monitor of the same technology from Apple, but that alone is a grand. I think this setup will do very nicely. I will let you know :)

Around the Network

sounds fine,i want one

Above & Beyond

Got mine in July, primarily for the purpose of music production, but turns out I'm using it mostly for general email/surfing and StarCraft.  :) 

Edit: Ooops, i5 not i7. 

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69

Got mine a few months back.. use it for graphic design, email surfing and starcraft 2....*

*no p0rn! looks horrible on a screen like that..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

What video card does that monster laptop come with?

Around the Network
disolitude said:

The iMac isn't a MacBook, just so you know. It's a desktop computer. ^_-

Hynad said:
disolitude said:

The iMac isn't a MacBook, just so you know. ^_-

Oh its one of those built in screen computers? Cool...my question still stands :)

It comes with an ATI Radeon HD 5750.  Pretty average.

Congrats. I'm still running an old Core Duo iMac from 2006, which I was going to replace but decided I could milk another year out of the ol' girl. When I do upgrade, I'll be getting a 27" iMac or whatever is the equivalent. Since I primarily do web design/development and artistic work on the iMac, I'll pair it with my current 27" Samsung monitor for one ungodly-huge computing setup.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Hynad said:

It comes with an ATI Radeon HD 5750.  Pretty average.

Oh, wow.

I guess it does the job for non gaming stuff...but having a screen of that resolution and that video card is like loading a BFG5000 gun with apple pies.