By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The biggest hurdle that the PS3 will have to overcome.

Ports of 360 games.

I was thinking about buying a PS3. It's a seriously tasty looking piece of kit - but I already own a 360 and a Wii so in all honesty it's a really hard purchase to justify.

I understand that the PS3 is more powerful (by how much I'm not sure) than the 360 but if games are made to cater for the lowest common denominator (as cross-platform games invariably are) then this advantage is lost.

Unless some truly outstanding games are released that show the USP of the PS3 over the 360 then I fear that people will generally plump for the more affordable option - why pay extra when you can get pretty much the same games line up - of the same quality on a cheaper machine?

PS3 seriously needs some AAA exclusives but with their market share the way it is it's hard to see where these are going to come from. It's not like they have the 1st party muscle of Nintendo.

Not trying to flame the PS3 here, it's a great looking machine and if it and the 360 were both launched tomorrow I'd choose the PS3. I just feel that the fates have conspired against Sony this time and it's hard to see how they're going to come back from the position they're in.

1st post BTW. Hello all :)

Around the Network

Actually, the PS3 isn't much more powerful at all. In fact you could argue that the 360 is more powerful. Wait for a price drop for the PS3 if you absolutely must have it.

edit- and welcome to the forums.

The PS3 have a long way to be the winner of this gen. And if the AAA titles go multi-plattaform the way becomes longer, they are not dead yet, but they are on the way, Sony needs to do a real effort to put the PS3 on top. I think that the Sony killer move last 2 gen was to launch earlier and keep a good price. They didn't follow that so now they are in a big trouble.

Hello to you, I just start today so I'm the same as you.XD

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d 

I hear a lot of people say that exclusives dont matter, but really that is what defines the console. It is true that having the most games for your system will make you the winner for sure (see PS2 with 90% of the games)... But exclusives kept the Gamecube profitable for Nintendo.

Sony can't beat the Wii on innovational games and price. Unless Nintendo screws up they will end up with 50% or more (I am predicting 55%) of the market.

Now they can compete with MS on graphics and multimedia center stuff, they are about equal, but MS has a several huge advatages:

1) Head start and 7M lead.

2) Price

3) They are profitable. So they can reduce the price at any time to put the hurt on Sony.

We are already seeing a lot of change from Pre-E3. Wii is getting more exclusives, also more multiplatform games that use the remote in some way to make the Wii game different (some better than others of course).

Previous PS2/PS3 exclusives games being announced for 360 as well.

If MS was selling well in Japan Sony would have no chance to get out of 3rd, but this gives them a chance for 2nd.

BUT, If they lose FF, DQ, and KH to Wii or 360. Even if they are multiplatform, it is over. Even worse if they go exclusive to another system.

If you want the high end graphics and multimedia capabilities then you can get a 360 for a lot less. If you want new innovative games plus Nintendo games, then you got the Wii at a great price. Hell you can get both for less than the PS3.

Sony needs to cut the price by $200-$300 right now. Take the loss and stop the market share bleeding. If they don't it will be over pretty soon.

After XMas Wii could have a 5M lead over them in each market and that is the point of no return imo.

wii_are_better_than_ said:

Actually, the PS3 isn't much more powerful at all. In fact you could argue that the 360 is more powerful. Wait for a price drop for the PS3 if you absolutely must have it.

I have an HDMI port on my TV that's just begging to be used :D but I honestly couldn't live with myself if I were to fork out £400+ for a PS3 right now though - there just isn't enough unique content available to justify it, not for me anyway. If I didn't have a 360 it might be different, but then again, if I didn't have a 360 then the amount of games available and the price difference would still probably make it the more likely option.

It's hard to see a way back for Sony - they really need some killer exclusives and I suspect it's people like me that they need to win over.

Around the Network
wii_are_better_than_ said:

From what I've heard the PS3 is more powerful. Dont quote me on saying this but I have heard it on big sites like IGN or gamespot. Its just that 3rd party developers have no need to make a title any better on either system. Its just that ony hasnt released any big titles yet for the PS3 thats there own. From what I've heard FFXIII is going to be visually better then Hollywood movies. Plus I have also heard that the PS3 can support more people on screen, more polygons, and much more. Im not saying I said this because I have yet to own a PS3 but thats what I heard.

My opinion is that if Sony can make Square-Enix make games for them exclusivly then they will win. Seriously if Square wanted to make there own console it would probally sell more then all three of the consoles. Seriously they make the biggest games! SERIOUSLY! SERIOUSLY! Sorry I just notice I say that alot.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

If Square made their own system they would be limiting their customer base and would have worse sales.

Anyway, Square has specifically said that it is really hard to make an exclusive game due to the costs involved. So unless Sony forks out a lot of $$$ it isn't very likely.

Ok, to say this simply. The PS3 has more power than the 360. How much more? Idunno. But FF12 is one of the best looking games last gen, and the x-box has like 4x more power than the PS2, yet the PS2 had some of the best looking games. The true and pure optimization is what matters.

I'm really curious about the new AAA games going multiplatform. From what I've read from everyone says about multiplatform games, their meant to be money farms. Not to be a AAA game. There have been some great multi-platform games. But as a reality, they are not usually the best. When a series goes multi, it usually goes downhill fast.

People talk about Resistance looking great. No, it dont. Motorstorm looks great? If you say that, You should also say The Wii is more than enough power for any graphics. Motorstorm has sub-par graphics. I played a game on the PC like 3 or 4 years ago, that looked almost as good. However the thing that makes motorstorm great, is the physics models it runs. Never have I seen a game with such realistic driveing. (for off-road)

When it comes to handeling, my truck drives like they do in motorstorm (mostly). The wrecks are not realistic. But their great fun! (that's what a game is about tho, right?)

If your not interested in motorstorm, I would say wait till July for the PS3, as there's nothing great coming between now and then. There is also a chance for a price drop between now and then. (not very likely, but it could happen) 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

SpaceJase said:

Ports of 360 games.

I was thinking about buying a PS3. It's a seriously tasty looking piece of kit - but I already own a 360 and a Wii so in all honesty it's a really hard purchase to justify.

I understand that the PS3 is more powerful (by how much I'm not sure) than the 360 but if games are made to cater for the lowest common denominator (as cross-platform games invariably are) then this advantage is lost.

Unless some truly outstanding games are released that show the USP of the PS3 over the 360 then I fear that people will generally plump for the more affordable option - why pay extra when you can get pretty much the same games line up - of the same quality on a cheaper machine?

PS3 seriously needs some AAA exclusives but with their market share the way it is it's hard to see where these are going to come from. It's not like they have the 1st party muscle of Nintendo.

Not trying to flame the PS3 here, it's a great looking machine and if it and the 360 were both launched tomorrow I'd choose the PS3. I just feel that the fates have conspired against Sony this time and it's hard to see how they're going to come back from the position they're in.

1st post BTW. Hello all :)

crappy ports are only a launch problem.

Kwaad said:

I'm really curious about the new AAA games going multiplatform. From what I've read from everyone says about multiplatform games, their meant to be money farms. Not to be a AAA game. There have been some great multi-platform games. But as a reality, they are not usually the best. When a series goes multi, it usually goes downhill fast.

I tend to agree with that analysis which is why I believe the importance of exclusives cannot be overstated - especially in Sony's case where they need to show why their system is worthy of the higher price tag.

Ports of 360 games are the worst thing for the PS3 right now IMO. 

I'd love to see some outstanding PS3 titles that force me into going out and buying one. Any excuse is usually good enough for me when it comes to games consoles.:D