By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 2 days of Sports Champions and i have to say,this game is....

epicurean said:

I played the demo for it last night, and as a ping pong player for many, many years, I can say, "Holy crap thats awesome" (as far as ping pong goes).  In fact, I'm probably going to have to buy the game just for that.  I'm hopeful that the computer controlled players get much more difficult, but even the 2nd one in the demo wasn't TERRIBLE (still one 5-0, but there were some decently long rallies).  I really don't even care if any of the other games are any good, ping pong was so accurate compared to the real thing it's almost shocking.  Te only thing its missing is you can't really dive for balls (as you dont really move the player), and the ball seemed to stay on the table a little to easily.  But I'm still incredibly impressed.  Were the ping-pong games on the Wii this good?  (Not trying to start a fight, I just never got them, assuming a game couldn't recreate the subtle movements and their effect this well).

On Wii Play no, on Wii Sports Resort I like it more but it's also different, like the Sports Champions demo you don't control the character simply the paddel, it's a bit more simple and streamlined and I like it that way, the demo for Sports Champions seems like a bridge of realism and the arcade nature of WSR, so to each their own but I hear Sports Champions becomes more simulated later on though apparently (from a few comments and reviews) hitting balls hit down the center of the table is needlessly hard.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
epicurean said:

I played the demo for it last night, and as a ping pong player for many, many years, I can say, "Holy crap thats awesome" (as far as ping pong goes).  In fact, I'm probably going to have to buy the game just for that.  I'm hopeful that the computer controlled players get much more difficult, but even the 2nd one in the demo wasn't TERRIBLE (still one 5-0, but there were some decently long rallies).  I really don't even care if any of the other games are any good, ping pong was so accurate compared to the real thing it's almost shocking.  Te only thing its missing is you can't really dive for balls (as you dont really move the player), and the ball seemed to stay on the table a little to easily.  But I'm still incredibly impressed.  Were the ping-pong games on the Wii this good?  (Not trying to start a fight, I just never got them, assuming a game couldn't recreate the subtle movements and their effect this well).

On Wii Play no, on Wii Sports Resort I like it more but it's also different, like the Sports Champions demo you don't control the character simply the paddel, it's a bit more simple and streamlined and I like it that way, the demo for Sports Champions seems like a bridge of realism and the arcade nature of WSR, so to each their own but I hear Sports Champions becomes more simulated later on though apparently (from a few comments and reviews) hitting balls hit down the center of the table is needlessly hard.

Yeah, obviously I only played the demo (and once at that), i just couldn't believe how much if felt "real".  Obviously it can't completely replicate the real thing, but it was closer than I thought a video game could get to it.  And yeah, not everyone will be looking for that amount of "realism", most people would probably prefer the more arcade-y feel.  But for me, it turned into something I really want, whereas before I just figured the whole thing was just some mini-games I wouldn't care about.  Might be the first time I can remember a demo really sold me on a game.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS