By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Christine O'Donnell is the worst candidate ever

TheRealMafoo said:

It was guaranteed republican because the man running as a republican was as much a democrate as he was a republican.

the GOP only wanted him because a real Republican could not win.

And TeaParty Members are for balanced budgets and limited government. How is that far right? Almost everyone in the US is for that.

You defeat your own logic right there.  The Tea party is extreme right of American mainstream, which is why when a moderate Republican was defeated in Deleware, voters identified more with the democrat than the far-right Tea Partier.

Thats the way America's two party system works, Republicans and Democrats hover around the center and are actually very alike though you wouldn't think that from hearing them talk.  The Tea Party pushes the Republicans farther right, away from the center, and thus they lose votes come the general election.

Until America adopts a parliamentary multi-party system (not any time soon), the Tea Party, the Greens, and other parties out of the mainstream can't effectively participate in government.  In fact, they will only negatively effect their cause.

O'Donnell (Tea) and Nader (Green) are perfect examples of why this type of movement cannot work.  O'Donnell caused the Republican party to lose a senate seat, resulting in a Democrat who is even farther away from the Tea Party's ideaology to take power.  Nader took tens of thousands of liberal votes away from Gore in the 2000 election, helping Bush win the presidency, which resulted in a politican even farther away from Nader's ideology to gain power.

Around the Network
ManusJustus said:

TheRealMafoo said:

It was guaranteed republican because the man running as a republican was as much a democrate as he was a republican.

the GOP only wanted him because a real Republican could not win.

And TeaParty Members are for balanced budgets and limited government. How is that far right? Almost everyone in the US is for that.

You defeat your own logic right there.  The Tea party is extreme right of American mainstream, which is why when a moderate Republican was defeated in Deleware, voters identified more with the democrat than the far-right Tea Partier.

Thats the way America's two party system works, Republicans and Democrats hover around the center and are actually very alike though you wouldn't think that from hearing them talk.  The Tea Party pushes the Republicans farther right, away from the center, and thus they lose votes come the general election.

Until America adopts a parliamentary multi-party system (not any time soon), the Tea Party, the Greens, and other parties out of the mainstream can't effectively participate in government.  In fact, they will only negatively effect their cause.

you say this like the election is over. O'Donnell's opponent had far more money they her, and she still one. If she won, how is she not more representative of Americans then the person she beat?

I think in 5 weeks, she will win again. Her numbers are down right now because she just fought a nasty mud slinging fight against the GOP. 5 weeks before she won the primary, her numbers were way down too.

Let me ask you this...

Are you for a balanced budget?

Are you for liberty?

Do you agree with the Constitution?

If you answered yes to all those, there is only one candidate running in that race you should vote for. Does that make people extreme who vore for her?

I think most Americans are for those three things.

Here is an example.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39290815/ns/politics/

Most Americans agree with what the Tea Party is fighting for.

Do you think Democrats will cut spending and balance the budget? I hope you don't think that.

Do you think Republicans will cut spending and balance the budget? Hell no. 

So if your the majority of Americans who feel this is there top priority, who is out there to vote for? The Tea Party.

Your right about one thing. Both parties are the same, but they are both the same on the wrong side of popular opinion.

Before these last few years, most people didn't care about politics. It's just something that happened while they enjoyed there lives. People are awake now and really looking at what's going on. We have real problems and neither party have a solution to it.

The answer is to make a new party that does.

TheRealMafoo said:

Are you for liberty?

I think everyone is for a balanced budget, until they get to spend the budget...

The Tea Party does not stand for liberty, they are anti-woman rights, anti-gay rights, anti-religious freedom, and so forth.  Yeah, I love liberty, which is why I could never vote for the Tea Party.

I can't name one politican who doesn't agree with the Constition, its the interpretation that matters, and I guess those who interpret differently are thought to be against the Constution instead of against your interpretation.

Here's a great political sight with insight and polling, in case your interested...

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

Being that approval ratings for congress are in the 20% range, disapproval ratings for congress are in the 70% range, and most of the political leaders in Washington have approval ratings in the 20% range it is difficult to argue that either political party is doing much which truly represents mainstream American values. At the moment the Tea-Party is gaining momentum because of this dissatisfaction with both political parties, and it is not reasonable to label it as extreme in a large part because it is a chaotic cross section of Americans; and the reason it appears to be significantly more conservative than either political party is that conservative republicans are the most disenfranchised, American voters are (on the whole) much more conservative than either political party has become, and conservative Republicans who are not in the "good graces" of the Republican Establishment are trying to channel this outrage for their own political gain.

As much as Christine O'Donnell has very low odds of being particularly successful based on conventional wisdom and traditional voting paterns, I wouldn't necessarily say that this means she can't win in November. Based on conventional wisdom "Senator Kennedy's Seat" was certainly going to go to the Democrats and we all know how that turned out. The two things that could really create an upset are a high number of protest voters (voting less about issues and more to send a message to the government) and voter turnout.

Around the Network
ManusJustus said:
TheRealMafoo said:

Are you for liberty?

I think everyone is for a balanced budget, until they get to spend the budget...

The Tea Party does not stand for liberty, they are anti-woman rights, anti-gay rights, anti-religious freedom, and so forth.  Yeah, I love liberty, which is why I could never vote for the Tea Party.

I can't name one politican who doesn't agree with the Constition, its the interpretation that matters, and I guess those who interpret differently are thought to be against the Constution instead of against your interpretation.

Here's a great political sight with insight and polling, in case your interested...

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

Do you have any evidence to back up your claims?

Some of you guys are completely missing the point here. The guy she beat was a left leaning Republican, who if he'd won, would side with the Democrats on a lot of issues and possibly more big spending bills. So why would the Republican Party as a whole give a flip if she loses, if the other guy was likely going to vote with the Democrats anyway, nevermind that Deleware is a historically blue state.

As for me, I'd buy her a broom to ride to Congress on if she got elected, she can't be worse than what's there right now.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

She use to practice Witchcraft?

Thats awesome! NOT!

i really don't care that she was in witchcraft, that wouldn't bother me about a candidate, but it should bother the far right that is she appealing to.  

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

themanwithnoname said:

Some of you guys are completely missing the point here. The guy she beat was a left leaning Republican, who if he'd won, would side with the Democrats on a lot of issues and possibly more big spending bills. So why would the Republican Party as a whole give a flip if she loses, if the other guy was likely going to vote with the Democrats anyway, nevermind that Deleware is a historically blue state.

The Northeast is a liberal area, and Castle was one of the most conservative Northeastern Republicans (consrvative rankings below).  Hell, Mitt Romney is super conservative now, but as govenor of Massachusetts he supported government provided healthcare.  If the Republicans want to be conservative in Deleware like they are conservative in Utah, people aren't going to vote for them.

http://www.conservative.org/congress-ratings/