By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tales of Innocence First Hour Impressions

ItsaMii said:
naznatips said:

Yeah, Ruca is pretty slow right now. Of course, I don't really have anything to combo with this early in the game. I'm sure he won't feel so slow later. All I have are basic sword attacks and the Demon Fang Lloyd used to use. In that video he's using a lot of specials. That spinning sword attack for example.

As far as a score, I don't like to assign a score to a game I haven't beaten. I'll just say that I'm very impressed with pretty much everything in the game to this point.

ItsaMii ToS was very anime inspired as well... every Tales game is. It's part of the style.

I know, but in this game it is too much. Just look at the characters outifits, they make TOS outifits look formal. I forgive Tales series because the gameplay is always good and the plot is usually interesting. Persona 3 is a great example of how anime influence can ruin a game.

Funny you should say that, because Ruca actually DOES wear formal clothes.  If anthing, I think the opposite of your statement is true:

While Ruca's clothes are fairly plain, and his hair is flat and normal, Lloyd has unnecessary amounts of detail on him (the cape things for example), and the cliche anime spiky hair.  

Again, looking at this comparison, Ange dresses very formally and isn't overly adorned, but Colette has random things hanging off her dress for no reason and  lots of unnecessary shapes and triangles.  

Looking at it, I would say Tales of Innocence has a much more Western character design than any other game in the series to this point actually. 

Around the Network
Soriku said:
naznatips said:
ItsaMii said:
I hate this game character design. Anime influence is too heavy. I am still more interested in TOS 2. Right now, I still have to play TOD, TOE and TOA.

ToE and ToA are 2 of my least favorites in the series. ToA I absolutely hate because I can't stand Luke, the main character. ToD is pretty good though.

As far as Knight of Ratatosk goes, I love ToS as much as anyone, but no overworld bothers me, and I'm not sure I'll like KoR because of it. It's also not the game that's getting the majority of development resources. Tales of Innocence is the first major Tales game of the generation.

That bothers me as well, but like ItsaMii said, they're still putting a ton of effort for a spin-off. Tales spin-offs have never had overworlds. IMO, they should just have made an OFFICIAL Tales of Symphonia 2. Make it an OFFICIAL Tales, not a spin-off/gaiden type thing.

But overworld or no overworld, it could still be good. Look at games like KH. It has no overworld yet remains to be a very good game still (because it's story driven?).

I think if the Symphonia team work on ToS: KoR, it could turn out REALLY, REALLY good.

It's not technically a spinoff.  It's a "mothership title."  That means it's considered part of the primary canon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_series#Mothership_Titles

Do you read Japanese or can the game be played in English?

rubido said:
Do you read Japanese or can the game be played in English?

Neither.  I just found a FAQ.  

RolStoppable said:
Soriku said:
That's what I meant but I didn't know the proper name for a situation like that =/

P.S. Does anyone else find the lack of Sword of Legendia info...disturbing? But the good thing is Wii has 3 Namco RPGs so far >:D

I don't know if that's a good thing. Three games can cause a ton of threads.

OH SNAP!!!

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Hmm...just to add

Is it me...or is that green sparkly thing what you move Emil with? Do you move him with the pointer or something?

All combat is on the top screen, so no.

naznatips said:
ItsaMii said:
naznatips said:

Funny you should say that, because Ruca actually DOES wear formal clothes. If anthing, I think the opposite of your statement is true:

While Ruca's clothes are fairly plain, and his hair is flat and normal, Lloyd has unnecessary amounts of detail on him (the cape things for example), and the cliche anime spiky hair.

Again, looking at this comparison, Ange dresses very formally and isn't overly adorned, but Colette has random things hanging off her dress for no reason and lots of unnecessary shapes and triangles.

Looking at it, I would say Tales of Innocence has a much more Western character design than any other game in the series to this point actually.

Do you have a link with more character pictures? Resolution is too low for me to make comparisons. The other character are much worse IMO.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_Tales_of_Innocence

Spada is clearly of french design. Nothing very anime in his design at all. Iria is supposed to look like a pirate, which she pulls off pretty well. She has some anime touches to be sure, but nothing like the other games. Ricardo is clearly of American Wild West influence. Ange and Ruca are both English influence.

None of these characters fit standard anime cliches, and I'm not really sure what you are talking about ItsaMii. Either you don't watch much anime at all, or you just didn't remember the characters very well. Clearly the characters are supposed to be European in style. As are the villages whenever you actually get the chance to play it. There is an anime touch to everything, but it wouldn't be Tales without a little anime.

Soriku said:
naznatips said:
Soriku said:
Hmm...just to add

Is it me...or is that green sparkly thing what you move Emil with? Do you move him with the pointer or something?

All combat is on the top screen, so no.

Wha...? Top screen? I'm talking about ToS: KoR, not ToI.

Ah.  I hadn't watched the video.  Just assumed you meant ToI heh.

i might buy this, i love namco rpg's.