By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN: Industry Insight: Making FPSs Work on Wii

Nice read. I'm on the fence about the gestures, but the "dead zone" idea was incredible.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network
xomaniac said:
mario with guns...

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=245

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Gamerace said:
Now for their next trick - figuring out how to get FPS to SELL on the Wii.

It's a shame MoH:H2 isn't selling better. Not a great game, IMO, but poor sales will result in few FPS on Wii.

MoH has 2 things going against it:

The WW2 theme. We've had far too many since the month apart release of MoH: Allied Assault and RTCW back in (I think 2001).  

The stench of EA. Not sure how much of an impact this has, but my guess is it has enough. When BioWare sold out to EA they had probably around 100 pages of posts saying some variant of "I will never buy anything BioWare again, and I've been a loyal fan since the beginning. Enjoy getting raped by EA." EA has made a very, very negative name for itself over the years. 

I liked the bit about customisation. Custom controls are a key point, in TS2 for GC i thought the majority of the button layout was perfect, but i always had custom controls for when zoomed in so i could move about easier.
I really hope Timesplitters 4 is made for Wii because it could be really excellent. I have a control scheme i'd like to put to you all but i'm going to wait till tomorrow as posting it on the Wii will be a pain.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
xomaniac said:
mario with guns...

i would buy that game...if i had a wii

Consoles I own: Dreamcast, PSP

Around the Network
Gamerace said:
Now for their next trick - figuring out how to get FPS to SELL on the Wii.

It's a shame MoH:H2 isn't selling better.  Not a great game, IMO, but poor sales will result in few FPS on Wii.

Seriously? What do you think their sales expectations were? I think that if they get between 150 and 200k lifetime, they will be verry content. No one anywhere in the world expected it to sell anymore than it did... except maybe you lol.

Just kiss the tip.

Honestly, this should not have much of an expectation to sell:

MoH:H2 on PSP:

Launch sales
1) 6,099
2) 4,763
3) 3,368

Total listed on this site: 0.01 mil

MoH:H2 on Wii:

Launch sales
1) 33,192
2) 29,342
3) 16,552

Total: 79,086 after 3 weeks

MoH:Airborne on 360 (not a psp side franchise version)

Launch sales
1) 82,045
2) 35,361
3) 16,250

Total: 184,643 after 13 weeks

MoH:Airborne on PS3

Launch sales
1) 20,337
2) 10,433

Total: 30,770 after 2 weeks

The series just doesn't sell all that sell. Combined with the fact that its not the main console franchise, they should be happy with the sales they got.

it would be nice for other developers to use the control scheme of MOH:H2

"The series just doesn't sell all that sell."

And that's a good thing. WW2 shooters need to die. Perhaps Call of Duty as the best of the bunch can carry on. The rest should try to find the next fad.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
xomaniac said:
mario with guns...

Sonic in Brawl?  Madness!

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!