By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I played Halo Reach for some time now. Reviews are broken.

I don't know why people complain about a metacritic score or reviews in general. Let's analyse what metacritic is for a moment:

The metacritic score is an average of review scores, review scores are opinions, so the meta score is an average of opinions. So basically people who complain about the meta score complain about an average of opinions.

Weird, isn't it .

Well, I haven't played it yet, I'll get it on Friday, then I'll be able to make a statement about Halo: Reach.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network
ArnoldRimmer said:

I think reviews are indeed broken, but just the other way around:

The game is probably way overrated.

Thing is: Halo Reach is very similar to GTA IV - a game so hyped that hardly any game reviewer even considered giving a score less than 90%, because with all the hype you know every reviewer will give ridiculous high scores, and it always looks strange if your score is completely different than that of all the other reviews.

Lots of gamers however soon expressed criticism and complained that the game is way overrated. Now the review score of GTA IV on metacritic is 98, the user score however is less than 80.

Halo 3 is similar: Metacritic review score 94, metacritic user score 76. And Halo Reach will probably be similar as well. If a game is extremely hyped for like GTA IV, the Halo series or GT5, then review scores are usually overrated.

User meta score on metacritic is worthless, why are you even using that as an example :-S, are you saying the Halo franchise doesn't deserve it's scores? It has hundreds of thousands of people play daily for a reason.

Seece said:
ArnoldRimmer said:

Thing is: Halo Reach is very similar to GTA IV - a game so hyped that hardly any game reviewer even considered giving a score less than 90%, because with all the hype you know every reviewer will give ridiculous high scores, and it always looks strange if your score is completely different than that of all the other reviews.

Lots of gamers however soon expressed criticism and complained that the game is way overrated. Now the review score of GTA IV on metacritic is 98, the user score however is less than 80.

Halo 3 is similar: Metacritic review score 94, metacritic user score 76. And Halo Reach will probably be similar as well. If a game is extremely hyped for like GTA IV, the Halo series or GT5, then review scores are usually overrated.

User meta score on metacritic is worthless, why are you even using that as an example :-S, are you saying the Halo franchise doesn't deserve it's scores? It has hundreds of thousands of people play daily for a reason.

Lemmings... Lemmings... Why do I sense lemmings...?

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Aldro said:

My comment on his comment was a joke too ;o.

I always call Gears for GeoW and GoW....(God of War) for GoW and come on that picture is just funny xD. ADMIT IT or I have to rip your head off too! x) <3

(Lets just get back to the topic now)

Reach back at 93 :)

I liked the picture.

To be honest the only one with an issue causing trouble here seems to be the mod.

Bloody typical.

Jordahn said:
Seece said:
ArnoldRimmer said:

There's usually a nuke button which gives them a 5 second countdown before they all explode.

Around the Network
hYpnochronic said:

Honestly, the multiplayer alone warrants an incredibly high score.  The campaign, however, is near unbearable.  It has one of the worst single player modes I've ever forced myself through.  I kind of wish they had just left it out and included more multiplayer maps. 

But the argument that reviews are broken is completely legitimate.  For example, the same reviews that bashed Metroid: Other M for it's voice acting and story gave Halo a pass by either saying the campaign wasn't really important, or even worse yet, that it was SO GOOD and made you sympathize and care about the characters (it does NOT).   Having been through it,  I can now most certainly say Halo Reach is FAR worse in almost every regard (single player).  It's hokey, corny, contrived, and generic.  It's a bad Michael Bay B-rate action movie.  I've criticized Metroid Other M quite a bit, but the fact that Halo Reach gets a pass is ridiculous.  Is it all in the hype?  Possibly.  One thing I've started to realize lately though, is that reviews are:

1. For sale (advertising etc)

2. A way to promote one's love of a certain console

On multiplayer alone though, I truly believe that Reach unquestionably deserves high praise.  I guess the question is, what SHOULD A REVIEW BE?    Does it have to include every facet of the gameplay possibilities?  Do even the menu screens count?  Should excessive load screens drop the score even though it doesn't affect the game itself?  I personally believe each game is different and requires it's own criteria.  So READ the reviews, be familiar with the reviewers track record, and don't by into hype.  It's really easy to tell when a game suffers from it's own popularity.  You just have to pay attention.

Wow. I am awestruck. You must have played a completely different game than the rest of us. I am almost finished and so into it. It is by no means "unbearable". The epic battles, the amazing score, the interactions between characters. I am literally begging to know what happens next, but unfortunately I have to sleep. The characters and story in reach are the most personality driven in a halo game, other than Halo Wars. I am completely at a loss for your comment.

I can't help but nod my head in shame and say "you're doing it wrong" if that is even possible.

Jordahn said:
Seece said:
ArnoldRimmer said:

I know right? It's ridiculous that some people just hate Halo because other people find joy in it. How dare they? It's much better to follow the crowd and downplay it's importance. Darn those Lemmings...

Selnor's review of Halo Reach just in.  10000/10.

That brings the Metacritic for Halo Reach to over 9000!!!

Why are some gamers giving Reach 0s? The game just came out and already hating. 360 fanboys are ruthless. LOL!

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/halo-reach/user-reviews

PakChiuCheng said:

Selnor's review of Halo Reach just in.  10000/10.

That brings the Metacritic for Halo Reach to over 9000!!!

What does selnor says about Halo reach's graphics power level???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik