By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Many of you have probably already heard but if you buy the 40 gig ps3 at walmart today you get a $50 gift card.

Also, if you buy a toshiba hd-3 hd-dvd player you get 12 free hd-dvds so everybody can get off of sony for giving away ten with the ps3 a couple of weeks back.

Around the Network
kvh22000 said:

Many of you have probably already heard but if you buy the 40 gig ps3 at walmart today you get a $50 gift card.

Also, if you buy a toshiba hd-3 hd-dvd player you get 12 free hd-dvds so everybody can get off of sony for giving away ten with the ps3 a couple of weeks back.

That won't happen. The bly-ray bashers won't admit they were wrong to attack the PS3 for that deal, and the HD-DVD bashers will just attack HD-DVD for this deal.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I was one of the people who ridiculed Sony for giving all those Blu-Ray movies away, and now I'll do the same:

This just shows how desperate the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray camps are to win this stupid format war which few care about. Serves 'em right for not working harder at creating a single format which the whole industry can support. I'm sticking with DVD until someone else decides this war for me, because I'd like to spend my money on more important and safe investments.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

This just shows how desperate the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray camps are to win this stupid format war which few care about. Serves 'em right for not working harder at creating a single format which the whole industry can support. I'm sticking with DVD until someone else decides this war for me, because I'd like to spend my money on more important and safe investments.

Once again, NJ5, I completely agree with you.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

The problem that the large studio's seem to not understand is that when people went from VHS to DVD they got a good deal. The picture quality was much better and the discs last longer in a persons collection. Going from DVD to HD DVD or Blu Ray, there is no huge incentive for regular people to switch. DVD already looks "good enough" for most people. They aren't giving us the incentive to move over, offering free movies isn't going to give the format the push it needs to win. If they want to win and be taken serious by the average consumer, they need to show the consumer the value in owning an HD disc. They can do this by including a standard def copy with every HD movie they plan to sell. That way someone who's upgraded their system to support the HD format can play it and when the user wants to play a standard DVD copy they can do so as well. The biggest issue in all this is that consumers are dumb... like really dumb... if you can't make your technology idiot proof then you fail.

A disc looks like a disc, it should be able to play the same way in any DVD player. The same disc should work without question. Figure that out or the consumers will figure it out for you ;)

DVD's aren't going anywhere for a very long time.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network

Yeah, ok, the format war sucks, we get it.  Get over it.

The point here is that the 40gb ps3 is $350 because a walmart giftcard is as good as real money. 

Also, if you get an hd-dvd player with 12 free movies, I'm sure you can figure out how to get it free (hint: ebay) and not worry about it anymore.  No reason to complain anymore then, just buy movies.

Get a PS3 and hd-dvd player and call it a decade.