By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide UP - 04th September

kain_kusanagi said:
snfr said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Yet Yakuza and Valkyria chronicles have sold decently for the niche titles they are, and with almost no marketing what so ever. The PSP is very successfull, it just isn't as successfull as the DS, but still doing fine. Even the Japanese treated Valkria Chronicles as a niche game, that's why its sequal is on the PSP instead of the PS3. Your examples are not the trend. Look at Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, and the countless other very Japanese games that enjoy huge success worldwide. Sure there are plenty of niche games that are popular enough in Japanese that westerners scratch their heads at, but I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about blockbust games like Halo, Modern Warfare, etc. Those games are just too good for the Japanese to not like at all. The sales of the Xbox 360 are so poor in Japan, inspit of huge marketing, that I don't think it has anything to do with taste. Especialy considering that MS secured tons of extremely Japanese games just for Japan, yet they still ignored the little white box.

Fun may be subjective to a certain extent, but quality is not. The Japanese are really missing out on some top quality software, but they don't even seem to want to even give any of it a chance. Maybe their are just too set in their ways. It would explain why Japanese RPG are still using random battles and turn based combat while thw rest of the world moved on years ago. But I think it's deeper than that. I think the Japanese see gaming as a Japanese thing and they don't like the idea of an outsider muscling in on the action.

Japan can't be the only nation in the world that doesn't "get it". Nope, they just don't want to "get it". Nuff said.

The PSP of course is very successful in the west overall. But it's still doing great in Japan while at the same time it's doing bad in Europe and America, that's what I meant. The PSP can surely be considered as a success, but PSP's time in the west is over, in Japan it's far away from being dead.

Regarding games like Halo and CoD: these games are selling really well in Japan, even better than many JRPGs, so saying that Japanese automatically dislike all western products is just not right.

There are of course lots of Japanese games on the 360, but it doesn't really destroy the image of the 360 being a shooter console. And shooters don't really appeal to them. These Japanese games btw are the reason why the 360 sold so many units there, without them it wouldn't even have reached 1 million by now.

Quality is definitly subjective, the ultimate proof of it is metacritic. I don't care about review scores at all, but I'm using it now to make my point clear, because many people rely on review scores. If quality is objective how can FF XIII then get review scores of 40, but get scores of 90-100 at the same time? Are many reviewers just biased or is quality subjective? What makes more sense to you?

It remains a matter of appeal. You don't even have to look at Japan vs. the west. Just compare EMEAA with Americas and you'll even see big differences here. Racing games sell better in EMEAA (GT4 as an example), FPS sell better in Americas. The 360 has a huge lead over the PS3 in America, in Europe it's pretty close and the PS3 is slightly ahead, but the PS3 is definitly in a lot better position. I don't here anyone complaining about Americans having a bias against the PS3.

Look, it's not like the Japanese don't buy 360s at all, there are just less people who buy it. Just like there are less people in America who buy PS3s. Nuff said.

You make a good point, but  seems to me that the ratio of westerners who buy Japanese games/systems is much higher than the ratio of Japanese who buy western games/systems. That's my point. Obviously the Japanese do purchase Xbox 360 and Halo, but not at the same rate that westerners buy Final Fantasy. The same goes for racing games. They might be more popular in Europe, but they are still plenty popular in North America. It's all about ratios and it seems to me that Japan is out of wack with the rest of the world. How can it be that one tiny nation disagrees with the rest of the people on the planet. It's not 100%, nothing is, but if the rest of the world likes something it stands to reason that the Japanese would too if they gave it a chance.

I doubt even a reviewer would scores FFXIII 40 out 100 would claim it's of poor quality. There are plenty of games I hate but still consider high quality. I hate Final Fantasy Tactics, but I consider it one of the finest crafted games around. High quality, but I'd score it low. FFXIII is a high quality game with love it or hate it gameplay. The gameplay is finely tuned and of the highest quality but some reviewers didn't like it. That doesn't make it any less of a quality game. There are people who apsolutly rail against Halo, I don't understand it, but some people hate it. That doesn't change the fact that each game in the series is among the highest quality FPS of their day. I don't see how Japan can be the only nation that doesn't "get it". I don't expect everyone to love it, but you'd think the same ration of people would.

Yep, you got what I meant. The ratio is what we have to watch at here, and by looking at market share of less than 8% for the 360 in Japan among the home consoles, it just seems that there are not enough people who are interested in it, but there are at least some. But it somehow feels weird to me, too.

Well, I think it depends on how you define "quality". There are gamers and probably reviewers who would call the gameplay of FF XIII crap or bad while others think it has high quality. Seems like it's a matter of appeal to me. So if we define quality as something objective I think it's safe to say that every game that has working gameplay mechanics and a logical story has some quality in it.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network

snfr said:

The PSP of course is very successful in the west overall. But it's still doing great in Japan while at the same time it's doing bad in Europe and America, that's what I meant. The PSP can surely be considered as a success, but PSP's time in the west is over, in Japan it's far away from being dead.

In Japan, PSP probably has another 6-12 months before it's as dead as the west.  3DS is literally going to slaughter it, and even Wii has a more attractive lineup for 2011 at this point.  I can't imagine any developer greenlighting a big PSP title at this point, why bother? 

jarrod said:

snfr said:

In Japan, PSP probably has another 6-12 months before it's as dead as the west.  3DS is literally going to slaughter it, and even Wii has a more attractive lineup for 2011 at this point.  I can't imagine any developer greenlighting a big PSP title at this point, why bother? 

Well, who knows? It's definitly a possibility that it will be dead in 6-12 months, but I wouldn't be so sure about that. In 2011 there will be at least FF Agito XIII for the PSP, and a price cut could keep it healthy another 6-12 months. The 3DS will hurt its' sales for sure IMO, but I don't think it will die very quickly.

I don't know much about upcoming games on PSP to be honest, because Agito XIII is the only thing that interests me, but I guess we might see the last big titles for it in 2011.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

snfr said:
jarrod said:

snfr said:

Well, who knows? It's definitly a possibility that it will be dead in 6-12 months, but I wouldn't be so sure about that. In 2011 there will be at least FF Agito XIII for the PSP, and a price cut could keep it healthy another 6-12 months. The 3DS will hurt its' sales for sure IMO, but I don't think it will die very quickly.

I don't know much about upcoming games on PSP to be honest, because Agito XIII is the only thing that interests me, but I guess we might see the last big titles for it in 2011.

FF Agito XIII and WKC Dogma Wars are basically the only big-ish PSP games for 2011 or later afaik.  There's not really anything else that could clear, say, 200k.  Unless some of 2010's big games get delayed or something... TGS should be telling as to how exactly PSP will fare next year.

I should also point out, I think 3DS is also going to wipe out DS almost immediately (though big DS games should still do well thanks to backwards compatibility), and I also think 3DS will cannibalize what little 3rd party support Wii has left (though that's not such a big loss at this point).  Only the HD twins will remain (somewhat) unscathed.

AGITO XIII will be the most pirated game in the PSP like Dissidia. They should have released it for 3DS instead. Better graphics and online.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Around the Network
Christian973 said:

AGITO XIII will be the most pirated game in the PSP like Dissidia. They should have released it for 3DS instead. Better graphics and online.

They still might imo.  Hell, it may be multiplatform like FFXIII.

jarrod said:
snfr said:
jarrod said:

FF Agito XIII and WKC Dogma Wars are basically the only big-ish PSP games for 2011 or later afaik.  There's not really anything else that could clear, say, 200k.  Unless some of 2010's big games get delayed or something... TGS should be telling as to how exactly PSP will fare next year.

I should also point out, I think 3DS is also going to wipe out DS almost immediately (though big DS games should still do well thanks to backwards compatibility), and I also think 3DS will cannibalize what little 3rd party support Wii has left (though that's not such a big loss at this point).  Only the HD twins will remain (somewhat) unscathed.

You're probably right, but I think the DS could still sell some units even months after the release of the 3DS and Nintendo perhaps won't stop producing it immediately. It'll probably still sell to those who only buy it for brain training or whatever and don't want to spend more money. It's sales won't be relevant though.

And well, it makes sense somehow not to develope for the Wii anymore then and go to the 3DS, but we'll see. The Wii doesn't really have a good 3rd party support anyway, so it probably won't hurt the Wii in any way.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

360 above Wii last week after all. Didn't take long for that to come true did it

X360 continues it's WW streak over Wii for the 11th week.

TheSource said:

Metroid will increase next week in EMEAA when it has more time on the market than a single day, and can likely drive some hardware with it.

DS numbers are actually the lowest they've been in a long time. Used to do 300,000 per week without any trouble. Of course the USA price cut for DS is September 12, so there will be a nice rebound there heading into Christmas depending on when / if the 3DS launches.

Seems like this was pretty badly incorrect as well!