By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - ps3 not $299 (small catch)

by Mark Renton

PS3 has been selling much better now that the bottom price is a more consumer-friendly $399. But wouldn't a $299 PlayStation 3 be even more wonderful?

Well, that's exactly what Sony is doing for people who sign up for their credit card these days. The company is giving a $100 credit against the purchase of a PS3 at any authorized retailer, effectively bringing the price down to the sub-$300 rate for the 40GB model.

Have no fear, we gain nothing financially from pointing out the deal; the original link was found over at the Blu-ray forums. So if there's any kickbacks to be had, it'll go to "Shin-Ra" and not us. That's what we call full disclosure, boys and girls.

Also, the current APR appears to be 14%, which is somewhat obscene in this day and age, so we'd highly advise you purchase the console, get the $100, pay it off, and sleep worry-free.

So if you're a disciplined soul with a craving for a $299 PlayStation 3, go jump through the requisite hoops here.

source: http://www.ps3news.ca/12062007/09/299_ps3_straight_from_sony_with_a_catch_of_course

edit: crap, title was suposed to be "ps3 now $299"  my bad.

Around the Network

No advertising...

I bought my Playstation 3 for $750, at retail, around the time it came out, so I don't really care for all of these price drops. All they do is tell me how much money I could have saved, if I bought the Playstation 3, so many days later.

Wow! Sony is really getting desperate!

14% APR... yikes. Totally not worth it. I'll just wait the old fashioned way.

a.l.e.x59 said:
No advertising...

I bought my Playstation 3 for $750, at retail, around the time it came out, so I don't really care for all of these price drops. All they do is tell me how much money I could have saved, if I bought the Playstation 3, so many days later.

He's not advertising (notice no referral in the link), he's just telling about a really bad deal that's been floating around the internet for quite a while.

Just a note to everybody in case they missed it: piss poor deal. Don't even think about taking it.

Around the Network

The only reason anyone should do that is if they will pay it off quickly. (Like immediately) But keep in mind that if you are in the process of buying a home or getting a loan of some sort, be careful doing this as it will take a hit on your credit rating as a new line of credit.

I bought mine for $500 and got a 2nd controller free back this summer when the 60's dropped $100. I'm not sad that I paid more then I can get one for now, and am just fine with that.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Is there any reason you couldn't get the deal, pay it off, and cancel the card the next day?

You can do that but you'll take a credit hit.

twesterm said:
You can do that but you'll take a credit hit.

Very much so.   If you have any plans in the near future to purchase a house, refinance, or get a loan for a car, you'd be best not to do that unless your credit is so good that it wouldn't matter.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.