By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPG lacking difficulty

Most of my RPG time are spent on DS so I cannot speak for other consoles.

Anyhow, I think that RPG nowaday lacks difficulty.

This is not about the boss battles, but simply enemies encounters.

I'd like to see larger monsters group.

I'd like to see them spawn with different monsters that enhance each other.

I'd like to see them spawn with weaker monsters but are somewhat dangerous little helpers if you fail to get rid of them.

A recent example for DQ9. Golem spawning with caster monsters.

Golem would take you 2 to 3 turns to kill it off with all your team hitting it.

Meanwhile, the casters would be killed off easily in 1 turn before they throw deadly AoE spells on your group.

However, the Golem would jump in and block any attacks you try to land on the casters. One of those naturally ability that allows the Golem to protect any ally low on HP.

Now, i've encounter such groups but they are no more than group of 4 total. Making it not much a risk rather than an annoyance.

I'd like to see these common battles to randomize more and have larger groups that the players could test their tatics or run away.

The last game that I remember using the run away option at all was Strange Journey but that wasn't because it was hard, it was cheap oh-KO spells and that's not a cool in my book.

DQ9, IMO, lack the large battles. They comes in group of 4 max most of the time.

Around the Network

The don't make 'em like the 7th Saga anymore. That SNES game was ridiculously tough. Going through a dungeon consisted of me mumbling "please no enemy encounter, please no enemy encounter."

Go Play Final Fantasy IV DS, it is much much harder than previous versions of the game

Killiana1a said:

The don't make 'em like the 7th Saga anymore. That SNES game was ridiculously tough. Going through a dungeon consisted of me mumbling "please no enemy encounter, please no enemy encounter."

They just need to make a balance. Say, 90% of the encounters, you should be able to beat. Meanwhile, the 10% would post somewhat a wipeout risk and the best option would be to run away.

I remember renting 7th Saga way back and I couldn't get anywhere with it, LOL. Mostly because it was so slow.

MrT-Tar said:

Go Play Final Fantasy IV DS, it is much much harder than previous versions of the game

done and done. it's still easy though. You can just kill off whatever posed the highest risk, usually casters.

I like how they implement the protect skill for golem in DQ9. I just wish they use it more for larger battles (groups).

Around the Network

Honestly, I prefer easy JRPGs. I do want some challenge, but I'm mostly interested in the story.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

what about the world ends with you

-

MetalGear_94 said:

what about the world ends with you

I thought that was easy, too.

It sorta killed some of my stylii, though.

Aren't there any Fire Emblems for the DS? Tactical or strategic rpgs are well balanced most of the time. They are not button smashers, they make you think every once and then, they are very addicting and you may even improve some of your intelectual skills. I love all kinds of rpgs, but srpgs are the ones with which I had ever had more fun.

The DS Fire Emblem 1 wasn't hard, neither.

Speaking of which, I need to find where I put my Fire Emblem Wii and finish that at some point. I need a Wii portable.