By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is VGChartz, by nature, a volatile community?

Moral of the story; Give them real guns. There'll only be one winner then

Currently playing: Civ 6

Around the Network
Nighteyes_1981 said:
TWRoO said:
You have summed up perfectly the world of videogaming/internet forums.
The reason videogames are not seen as an important medium akin to film, literature or even TV is because videogames reach into people and pull out their competitiveness; the child within as it were. There is little reason for one person to berate another because he has a different taste in films, but because videogames are so often based around achieving goals and defeating opponents the competitive spirit needed to do that comes out and hovers over all things game related.
People play to win, and the desire to win spills over from being just one game to being about your favourite console and genre.

Apparently you've never sat between a Friday the 13th fan and a Nightmare on Elm St. fan.  Or Disney vs. Warner Bros. or...

No i have not, I have never heard anyone arguing over Disney and WB? I'm not saying no one argues in Film/TV etc, i am saying it is rare because films don't naturally bring out peoples competitiveness. There are of course some who woukd argue their opinion over another whatever the medium, but with games it is much more common.