By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - THE FIGHT - PSMove true 1:1

*shrug* Believe what you want. Just trying to keep you informed.

Around the Network
naznatips said:

The thing is, I want to believe your information, but after watching the video its kinda hard. Did you watch it or you stick with your E3 test play? I mean, you said: "This is probably the reason for the input delay as well, which is extensive." I know that something being "extensive" depends on our perceptions, but im pretty sure most wouldnt consider the delay in this video being extensive. Which makes me wander if you played the same version demonstrated in the video or if you are neutral on the matter.

P.S.: no prob if you didnt watch the video, after all its a 9 minutes vid. If its the case, take a look at it just to make sure. Its particularly the extensive delay that left me wandering.

naznatips said:

Your telling people they are wrong and its not something when you dont even know what its going to be like when completed. So yea i think i will believe what i want. You could have chose much better words, like as of the demo a e3 a (2 month old demo!) its not 1:1. Honestly you dont think things have been fixed in almost 2 months time? IMO you kinda just lost some validity as a game informer there bud.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Icyedge said:
naznatips said:

The thing is, I want to believe your information, but after watching the video its kinda hard. Did you watch it or you stick with your E3 test play? I mean, you said: "This is probably the reason for the input delay as well, which is extensive." I know that something being "extensive" depends on our perceptions, but im pretty sure most wouldnt consider the delay in this video being extensive. Which makes me wander if you played the same version demonstrated in the video or if you are neutral on the matter.

P.S.: no prob if you didnt watch the video, after all its a 9 minutes vid. If its the case, take a look at it just to make sure. Its particularly the extensive delay that left me wandering.

I did watch the video. I'm not sure what you guys were seeing in the pre-battle stuff that suggested to you the actual blows are 1:1. He swung his fists around loosely and it did the same, but when he did an actual move it clearly was pre-scripted. The headbutt, is an easy example. Also the delay is definitely extensive. You feel it even more when playing it, but even just watching the fight the latency is well over the generally considered "acceptable" latency of 100ms.

As for you Jamai, as I said you're welcome to disagree with me, but no, I don't believe there are major differences in the build present here than the one at E3. Two months isn't very long in development terms, and the demo builds themselves take a bit of time to create. People always beg for 1:1 fighting, but the fact is true 1:1 neither works nor is very fun. The scripting is absolutely present, and necessary, at the very least during the main "moves" even if not during basic punches. It was hard to tell with regular punches because of the delay. 
I'm just informing you of what I experienced. Take it for what you will, but videos with a developer showing off a game aren't really the best way to judge something. For that matter, neither is a report from a press member like me who's played it for all of 30 minutes total. The best way is to play it yourself, and you'll get to do that someday, but don't take this video as proof of 1:1 controls, as even in it there are clear displays of it not always reacting the way the player does.

naznatips said:
Icyedge said:
naznatips said:

I did watch the video. I'm not sure what you guys were seeing in the pre-battle stuff that suggested to you the actual blows are 1:1. He swung his fists around loosely and it did the same, but when he did an actual move it clearly was pre-scripted. The headbutt, is an easy example. Also the delay is definitely extensive. You feel it even more when playing it, but even just watching the fight the latency is well over the generally considered "acceptable" latency of 100ms.

As for you Jamai, as I said you're welcome to disagree with me, but no, I don't believe there are major differences in the build present here than the one at E3. Two months isn't very long in development terms, and the demo builds themselves take a bit of time to create. People always beg for 1:1 fighting, but the fact is true 1:1 neither works nor is very fun. The scripting is absolutely present, and necessary, at the very least during the main "moves" even if not during basic punches. It was hard to tell with regular punches because of the delay. 
I'm just informing you of what I experienced. Take it for what you will, but videos with a developer showing off a game aren't really the best way to judge something. For that matter, neither is a report from a press member like me who's played it for all of 30 minutes total. The best way is to play it yourself, and you'll get to do that someday, but don't take this video as proof of 1:1 controls, as even in it there are clear displays of it not always reacting the way the player does.

I understand and nothing may have changed between the demo at e3 and the one shown, i have no idea. Also i agree video release by sony or of developers shouldnt necessarily be trusted. And i know your just give your impressions of what you have experienced. However, to come in this thread and say everyone is wrong and that its not 1:1 like it doesnt have the possibility to ever be when its 60% complete, is wrong to me and a little condescending. I would have been more careful with my word selection.

Furthermore, i dont care if it is 1:1 i just want a well done and accurate move game.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Around the Network

Well I will say is the tone of those who tried it at GC was very different from their tone at E3 and GDC. Joystiq is a good example. It's still 60% build so let's hope it actually delivers on what it promises which from the sound of new previews it seems to be on it it's way to do. so yeah let's hope for the best :)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

naznatips said:

I agree, the pre-battle stuff doesnt necessarily reflect the actual fighting. The headbutt is clearly pre scripted, we were talking of regular jab, hook ect. Your new version is better: "It was hard to tell with regular punches because of the delay. " instead of the first post stating as fact it was all pre-scripted with no difference what so ever than pushing a button. More reasonable.

For the delay, now I understand that your placing it in relation to an "acceptable" 100 ms while I was placing it in relation to the technology being implemented. Fair enough.

naznatips said:
Icyedge said:
naznatips said:

@Bold: Oh yeah, that part was very, very scripted with a big delay. They would be better without it.

I never played the game, but what I read at Joystiq really impressed me. Two different testers, but the GamesCom one said his impressions were very positive, while the E3 guy wasn't. Maybe the game improved well between E3 and GC, maybe the E3 demo was an old build. You are probably right, since you tried it out, but there's a chance they have improved and will continue to until launch.

there is an excerpt from a Interview they gave recently:

[TSA] I’ve seen older builds and it really has improved since previous versions.

[KG] We’ve done a lot of R&D and we’ve had builds where the head and hand tracking weren’t fully working together. We didn’t want to go to an event and show it off as it would have been unfair to the game. Now we’ve got to the point where we can show it off. With old versions of the game it was quite confined, you have to stand here, you have to do this and that. Now we’ve improved a lot of the flow of the game and the technology itself is working a lot better.

[TSA] The one-to-one mapping looks pretty tight.

[KG] It is. As I say, it’s down to millimeters, and with our calibration process we detect the length of each player’s arms. It’s not going to work if some guy who’s six foot passes it to someone who’s four foot. It’s not going to work. So, we calibrate between every fight – your character’s arms are the same length as your own arms. If you have a long reach you can use it to your advantage. If you have a powerful swing you can use that to your advantage. The technology in Move, there’s a magnetometer and a gyroscope so it detects force as well as where it is in 3D space. If you throw a light punch, the character will throw a light punch. If you throw a heavy punch – and it hits – the enemy is going to know about it.

source: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/08/17/interview-the-fight-lights-out/

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Icyedge said:
Monteblanco said:

I'm still worried. There is still a significant delay between the command and the action and I don't like the idea of having to buy four moves to play it against a friend.

You sure you meant significant? Significant mean in fairly large amount. Now, im not going to argue with you since what you and I consider in fairly large amount may differs. Just thought I would point you the meaning just in case.

Significant to the point you that, in a jab, you may finish your arm movement before the character starts his. I hope they will improve the code as this is a game I would like to play, even if I am not thrilled with the price (four controllers for a player vs player match).