By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - iPad and Mac

I game a lot on my iPad, far more so than my iPod or iPhone. Steam has recently made gaming on the Mac a worthwhile endeavour. Is it possible we can have these gaming platforms added to the site, as they all seem a worthwhile addition to me? We already have the iPhone/Pod after all -- why not complete the set?

Around the Network

Iphone is a platform on VGC

and Ipad and iphone seem to have most of the same games

MAC would be a different platform but it isn't anywhere near big and isn't any different than PC

Really, the iPhone category should be replaced with iOS.

And I think it's fine to lump Mac OS in with 'PC.' After all, any Mac game you buy on Steam entitles you to play on Windows, too. There aren't many Mac exclusives these days.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Really, no.

You don't dump 360 with PS3 even though they share so many games, so you shouldn't dump Mac with PC. They are completely different platforms. I can't see any realistic reason that they should share a category other than laziness or simply disliking the Mac.

On the otherhand, I could understand iOS working for both pad and pod, after all the PSN category covers both PS3 and PSP, but then the iPhone category would need to be renamed.

However, I will add that claiming the pad and pod share the same games is wrong. My pad has a whole bunch of games exclusive to the iPad, or, at the very least, completely different to their pod/phone varieties. It is a completely different platform, and it has completely different games.That said, the same is the case for the PSN games for PSP and PS3 -- yes, they share many games, but each also has it's exclusives.

So, that being the case, I'd now amend my request to say the following:

Can we please rename the iPhone category to iOS and add a Mac category?

Who cares what games can play on Mac? It has never been considered a game platform. It is a pc and any game sales that are for a Mac PC should remain the same as a Linux/Windows PC. Basically, all PC related gaming should be lumped together as this a console sales tracking site. PC sales are one in the same and basically Mac is always a small subset of games available on Windows. There are no 1st party Mac games.

As for ipod/pad/phone products, yeah, it should be changed to iOS as well as Android should be added as we all know they are about to move strongly into the gaming category. After all its the OS that differentiates these products and now the actual name of the device. Difference here is that mobile gaming is going to be specific to the OS and have exclusives going both ways more like the console market. Of course like the PC market Apple is doomed to failure for its closed box setup. Silly they make the same mistakes over and over and over.....

Around the Network
Hapimeses said:

Really, no.

You don't dump 360 with PS3 even though they share so many games, so you shouldn't dump Mac with PC. They are completely different platforms. I can't see any realistic reason that they should share a category other than laziness or simply disliking the Mac.

On the otherhand, I could understand iOS working for both pad and pod, after all the PSN category covers both PS3 and PSP, but then the iPhone category would need to be renamed.

However, I will add that claiming the pad and pod share the same games is wrong. My pad has a whole bunch of games exclusive to the iPad, or, at the very least, completely different to their pod/phone varieties. It is a completely different platform, and it has completely different games.That said, the same is the case for the PSN games for PSP and PS3 -- yes, they share many games, but each also has it's exclusives.

but 360 and PS3 games have big differences and they are big platforms

the request are so taken on VGC,YOU WILL HAVE TO JUST GIVE A SUGGESTION AND THEN SEE IF THE ADMINS TAKE IT OR NOT

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Hapimeses said:

Really, no.

but 360 and PS3 games have big differences and they are big platforms

the request are so taken on VGC,YOU WILL HAVE TO JUST GIVE A SUGGESTION AND THEN SEE IF THE ADMINS TAKE IT OR NOT

I'm honestly not quite sure what you're saying there. I think you're saying that I should suggest the idea to the Admins and leave it to them to decide? If so, I agree entirely; indeed, isn't that what I'm doing here?

Regardless to that, I'm not actually bothered one way or another really. I don't even have a Mac (yet). However, I know many people who do, and many that game on them as well, and most, rightly or wrongly, would be appalled to define their computing experience with the name PC. Steam has heralded a change here, and many like the direction away from Windows-based gaming. Mac is a platform -- it may not be as prolific as other platforms, but it looks likely that will change sooner rather than later.

As for having somewhere to list iPad games: this I am bothered by. It's a pretty massive gaming platform now, and has many exclusives, so I think it needs recognition here somewhere. As to how that should be handled -- as a new platform, or as an addition to the iPhone platform, perhaps as iOS -- I don't mind at all; however, I think integrating iPad and iPhone/iPad togather makes sense, as I mentioned before.

Hapimeses said:

I'm honestly not quite sure what you're saying there. I think you're saying that I should suggest the idea to the Admins and leave it to them to decide? If so, I agree entirely; indeed, isn't that what I'm doing here?

i was just saying that requests aren't taken and made possible here

the site makers already just remade the site into VGC 3.0

so they will take time and also if they think it is worthwhile

Regardless to that, I'm not actually bothered one way or another really. I don't even have a Mac (yet). However, I know many people who do, and many that game on them as well, and most, rightly or wrongly, would be appalled to define their computing experience with the name PC. Steam has heralded a change here, and many like the direction away from Windows-based gaming. Mac is a platform -- it may not be as prolific as other platforms, but it looks likely that will change sooner rather than later.

sure but for that you have to change alot of things and alot of games have to be individually changed so it won't be done if its not that big of a platform

As for having somewhere to list iPad games: this I am bothered by. It's a pretty massive gaming platform now, and has many exclusives, so I think it needs recognition here somewhere. As to how that should be handled -- as a new platform, or as an addition to the iPhone platform, perhaps as iOS -- I don't mind at all; however, I think integrating iPad and iPhone/iPad togather makes sense, as I mentioned before.

it is massive by the casuals comparision not against the other biggies

in agree with the iOS thing

So, if requests of this ilk aren't handled in this forum, where should I send such suggestions? Regardless of whether changes are implemented or not, I still think both issues are worth consideration by the powers-that-be.

Hapimeses said:

So, if requests of this ilk aren't handled in this forum, where should I send such suggestions? Regardless of whether changes are implemented or not, I still think both issues are worth consideration by the powers-that-be.

here only.

i was just saying that you shouldn't expect it to be done soon