By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ground Zero Mosque debate heard around the world

Yeah it lives in Europe, I think the most in the Netherlands where Wilders has announced that he will go NY to have a lecture why it should NOT be build...If you don't know him 'this guy:

warning to america:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQOCcx5V9RI

Yeah you don't have to send him back..

In my city it lives very much in the muslim community...Considering the fundamentalists and their organizations see this as a victory...if it was not allowed to build...It was proof that USA was against the Islam...Now it is build it is proof that America goes on his knees for the Islam;..Either way the Good/more open/more Western Muslim will suffer from it. They already suffer so much from the extremists and they will only suffer more sadly.

Around the Network
Chairman-Mao said:
Mr Khan said:
Chairman-Mao said:

All I know is if I built a big Christian church in the centre of Islamabad it would be burned down very quickly. Muslims hate the USA but at least the US is tolerant of religions.

Syria's got churches, Egypt has a sizable Coptic minority, Lebanon's got 'em, Indonesia's the largest Muslim-populated country on earth, and seems to handle diversity well enough (outside of Bali, but that was high-profile al-qaeda stuff, and not entirely home-grown)

Well there may be churches in these countries, but that doesn't mean Christians get equal rights in these countries, where as in most western nations treat everyone equally by law.

For Indonesia, no, my grandpa was a government official in Sumatra, and he was a protestant.

Chairman-Mao said:
Mr Khan said:
Chairman-Mao said:

All I know is if I built a big Christian church in the centre of Islamabad it would be burned down very quickly. Muslims hate the USA but at least the US is tolerant of religions.

Syria's got churches, Egypt has a sizable Coptic minority, Lebanon's got 'em, Indonesia's the largest Muslim-populated country on earth, and seems to handle diversity well enough (outside of Bali, but that was high-profile al-qaeda stuff, and not entirely home-grown)

Well there may be churches in these countries, but that doesn't mean Christians get equal rights in these countries, where as in most western nations treat everyone equally by law.

I can't speak for Syria or Egypt (though both of their governments have proven to have a certain secular commitment), but i know Lebanon actually had the opposite problem (Christian minority oppressing Muslims), which was one of the contributing factors to their civil war (the bigger cause being Israel and Syria both trying to use Lebanon as a puppet)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

this really seems like something the people of new york should be deciding.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Chairman-Mao said:

Muslims in USA don't have it as bad as Christians in the middle east. Religious persecution is a huge deal in middle eastern and southeast asian countries. I did a study project last year on Christians being tortured and killed in Burma and having to flee to Thailand to escape death.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it is sad this is creating so much controversy when there are much bigger issues to address (BP oil spill, the economy, etc.) but Muslims should just be glad they are allowed to freely practise their religion and not cry over a little controversy.

WOW! Just wow! That's some racist shit right there.

Islam and Christianity are both based off of the same abrahamic religion, and is the second biggest regligion in the world with 1.3 billion followers around the globe. Should 1bn people just be glad that they can freely practise their religion? Should religions such as buddhism, hinduism and judaism also "just be glad" that the surperior master race of christianity allows them to practise their religion freely?

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Municipal Land-Use Hearing Update
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor Tea Party

Around the Network

this whole thing blowing up is more of a problem then the "problem" itself.  This makes for horrible world news for the US, and it horribly distracts from the far more important issues (of which there are many)that need to be taken care.  The country is in tough shape.

and why is fox news saying that they want to "shred our constitution," considering not letting them build this mosque is in direct conflict with the same constitution.

You know there is a mosque 4 blocks away from ground zero right?  We are essentially nitpicking about 2 blocks distance even if you go with their stance.

I got sick of this issue pretty quick, i'm not gonna comment on it anymore and i hope we can move onto bigger and better things.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Coca-Cola said:

The world will take any news from the U.S.A. and make it look bad for us so this is nothing new.  I was expecting something worse.

And i find it very interesting how many people turn against Christianity so quickly.  they have Christian churches in the middles east that is free to worship and spread the gospel?  Turkey recently allowed Orthodox church have a mass in an old cathedral, and they will allow them to do so ONCE a year.  Great tolerance.  If people want this controversy to go away, this imam and other alike need to come out and condemn Muslim countries that continues to treat Christian unfairly - even imprisonment and murders.  I don't think anyone would be against any mosque built in America if that were to happen.

Personally, I am sad that this news is a controversy.  Just build the Center and get it over with!

This story somehow reminds me of the time I saw a Egyptian teenager in a Korean Restarurant in L.A.  - about 8 years ago.  He walked in and the whole restaurant froze. hahaha.  I went to the boy and invited him to my family's table and bought him dinner.  we had a great conversation.  Turns out he really hated the terrorists and what they are making him go through.  who knew?

Turkey is very strictly secular, not a very good target to pick out.

Rath said:
Coca-Cola said:

The world will take any news from the U.S.A. and make it look bad for us so this is nothing new.  I was expecting something worse.

And i find it very interesting how many people turn against Christianity so quickly.  they have Christian churches in the middles east that is free to worship and spread the gospel?  Turkey recently allowed Orthodox church have a mass in an old cathedral, and they will allow them to do so ONCE a year.  Great tolerance.  If people want this controversy to go away, this imam and other alike need to come out and condemn Muslim countries that continues to treat Christian unfairly - even imprisonment and murders.  I don't think anyone would be against any mosque built in America if that were to happen.

Personally, I am sad that this news is a controversy.  Just build the Center and get it over with!

This story somehow reminds me of the time I saw a Egyptian teenager in a Korean Restarurant in L.A.  - about 8 years ago.  He walked in and the whole restaurant froze. hahaha.  I went to the boy and invited him to my family's table and bought him dinner.  we had a great conversation.  Turns out he really hated the terrorists and what they are making him go through.  who knew?

meaning muslims can worship only once a year? I'm not an expert on Turkey so I apologize if they don't allow muslim worship as well as Christian.

btw, i'm not picking on Turkey except I read this article.  that's all. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38711112/ns/world_news-europe/

Coca-Cola said:
Rath said:
Coca-Cola said:

meaning muslims can worship only once a year? I'm not an expert on Turkey so I apologize if they don't allow muslim worship as well as Christian.

btw, i'm not picking on Turkey except I read this article.  that's all. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38711112/ns/world_news-europe/

Umm, that's at a single site which I assume is legally owned by the Turkish state. I don't think they would allow a Muslim service to be held there usually either (not that the Muslims would want to).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secularism_in_Turkey

It was one of the strongest founding ideals of Turkey, they don't even allow headscarves in government buildings or schools.

STEKSTAV said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Muslims in USA don't have it as bad as Christians in the middle east. Religious persecution is a huge deal in middle eastern and southeast asian countries. I did a study project last year on Christians being tortured and killed in Burma and having to flee to Thailand to escape death.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it is sad this is creating so much controversy when there are much bigger issues to address (BP oil spill, the economy, etc.) but Muslims should just be glad they are allowed to freely practise their religion and not cry over a little controversy.

WOW! Just wow! That's some racist shit right there.

Islam and Christianity are both based off of the same abrahamic religion, and is the second biggest regligion in the world with 1.3 billion followers around the globe. Should 1bn people just be glad that they can freely practise their religion? Should religions such as buddhism, hinduism and judaism also "just be glad" that the surperior master race of christianity allows them to practise their religion freely?

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Municipal Land-Use Hearing Update
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor Tea Party

Dude I'm not trying to be racist, you're missing my point. All I'm saying is Muslims (and other religions) in North America are treated much better than non-Muslim religions (Christianity, Buddhist, etc.) in Muslim countries like Burma, Malaysia, Pakistan, etc. In North America you can freely practice any religion, in Muslim countries you can freely practice Islam and nothing else.