By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hardcore games

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Antabus said:
Antabus said:

Same goes for shooters.  Games like Halo replaced games like Contra and Metal Slug (although the first Doom and Quake games were hard as hell).

So.. Have you beaten Halo 3 single player on legendary with all the skulls enabled? No? That's what I thought.

No I don't really have the time.  I only played it a little bit and didn't really like it.  But if you're doubting my 1337 gaming skillzorz, I must let you know I play Doom on Nightmare Mode and I speedrun SMB1, and when I was younger and had more free time I could beat Contra without the Konami code.

Most games that are really hard these days are hard either due to frustrating controls, poor design, or a need for rote memorization of all enemies.  Or all three really.

I don't care for your gaming skills. You just say stuff like Halo is easy when you haven't even played it through on the hardest setting.

Memorization? Are you sure that you aren't talking about NES-games, like megaman and so on?

When a game isn't fun, I don't turn up the difficulty.  I just stop playing.

Halo IS easier than Doom.  I played Halo 1 on Legendary and Doom 1 on Nightmare Mode.  That's my comparison for you.

That's ok, if you don't like a game you don't have to play it! But... if you haven't played it with the highest difficulty setting, you really can't say that they are easy.

Halo:CE was quite easy game. Halo 3 with all the skulls.. that is not easy.  At all. I can't comment on Halo 2, haven't yet even tried it on legendary.

Around the Network
Antabus said:
Antabus said:
Antabus said:

Same goes for shooters.  Games like Halo replaced games like Contra and Metal Slug (although the first Doom and Quake games were hard as hell).

So.. Have you beaten Halo 3 single player on legendary with all the skulls enabled? No? That's what I thought.

No I don't really have the time.  I only played it a little bit and didn't really like it.  But if you're doubting my 1337 gaming skillzorz, I must let you know I play Doom on Nightmare Mode and I speedrun SMB1, and when I was younger and had more free time I could beat Contra without the Konami code.

Most games that are really hard these days are hard either due to frustrating controls, poor design, or a need for rote memorization of all enemies.  Or all three really.

I don't care for your gaming skills. You just say stuff like Halo is easy when you haven't even played it through on the hardest setting.

Memorization? Are you sure that you aren't talking about NES-games, like megaman and so on?

When a game isn't fun, I don't turn up the difficulty.  I just stop playing.

Halo IS easier than Doom.  I played Halo 1 on Legendary and Doom 1 on Nightmare Mode.  That's my comparison for you.

That's ok, if you don't like a game you don't have to play it! But... if you haven't played it with the highest difficulty setting, you really can't say that they are easy.

Halo:CE was quite easy game. Halo 3 with all the skulls.. that is not easy.  At all. I can't comment on Halo 2, haven't yet even tried it on legendary.

Halo is by definition easier than Doom, as it has auto-aim and checkpoint saves.

It's good to see that everybody agrees on the meaning of hardcore.

Everybody agrees it's either a bullshit marketing term or *insert game of my choice* aka bullshit marketing term.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

i think this article describe it best: (not necessary a fan of Bruce)

http://www.bruceongames.com/2008/08/12/hardcore-gaming-is-dead/

"By hardcore I mean that they were in narrow genres, were progressively more complex, were difficult for the neophyte to get into and appealed to a large but still limited demographic"

"What will happen is that the existing hardcore genres will continue. But they will become less obtuse and more user friendly."

"So hardcore as we know it will no longer exist. Instead there will be shades of grey between the two extremes of what are just now known as hardcore and casual."

PS There are still a few very hardcore games on the PC so they do still exist. One of the advantage of the PC is users mods which turns some games more hardcore.