By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada discusses console war

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8213&Itemid=2

“The Wii is the antithesis of the Xbox 360. It's strictly for hardcore gamers. The attachment rate for the Xbox 360 is much higher than for the Wii. People who buy the 360 really like games,” he said. “I think the current trend is that most people aren't buying the Wii as a game machine, but as a toy... It seems that Sony isn't sure what it wants to do. Is it making high-end electronics or a game console for gamers? I want them to clearly define their console.”

Around the Network

Well the PS3 does sell good amounts of software vs sales numbers.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

a console is for playing games = it is a thing to play games = is a toy

WTF is he talking about. Big loss of respect here.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

and his statement says that the wii is for hardcore gamers and the antithesis to the X360. Very well written/ translated.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Yeah, same as Faxanadu said, and if Square keeps this approach, they might loose their position this gen.

There is quite a number of interesting RPG's out there that are not from Square Enix...

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network

The wii has 11 million sellers right now after a year and they are going to add 6 soon (GH3, Wii Fit, RE:UC, Mario & Sonic, MP3, Mario strikers) .... 17 million sellers after little more than a year looks very good for me.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

I dont agree with what he said. Xbox360 has a better attachment rate is because there's a lot of good games and nice library. If Wii has enough good games, it will have a good attachment rate as well. It doesn't mean that people own Wii like game less than people who own Xbox360.

Well, now at least I know why SquareEnix only know how to produce spinoff and remake, because they got an idiot CEO. Pity to the company developers.

Umm, part of being a million seller is that they actually sold a million. Most of those games havent sold million yet

I think he should release some high quality hardcore titles on the Wii, and then say how gamers aren't taking it seriously.

So far the kinds of games that did well last gen, and are doing well on the other consoles, are selling very well on the Wii. The 360 has a notably better attach rate, but most of that comes from being on the market a year longer, and not have a game bundled along. The lower cost of development should be enough to negate the slightly lower sales, and even that problem is going to disappear when the userbase gets big enough.

Somehow Yoichi sounds like Yamauchi in his final years....I see doom for Squenix