By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGC staff, pls. help me understand this..

At the end of sep 2006, the PSP was reported to have sold roughly 22.9 Million units to the general public from retail stores. So how come on the main page it shows the PSP as selling less than 21 million units to date? Are the updates for the PSP a little left behind or what?

Around the Network

Most likely the 22m report was SHIPPED and sold to retailers, and not consumers. VGCharts only tracks (or tries to track) sales to consumers.

This means that although there were 22m+ PSP shipped to retailers (sold to the retailers) last year, as of right now, 21 have sold.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Actually the 22m number comes from this site under world->hardware sales.

Can you answer this one.

Rayman: Raving rabbids for 360? 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

mrstickball said:

Most likely the 22m report was SHIPPED and sold to retailers, and not consumers. VGCharts only tracks (or tries to track) sales to consumers.

This means that although there were 22m+ PSP shipped to retailers (sold to the retailers) last year, as of right now, 21 have sold.

I know exactly what this site is about, I was one of the first early adopters of this site when it had just one web page. I stated 22.9 mill units sold (not shipped) for the end of sep. 2006. That's why this thread is directed to a VGC staff that'll have a better grasp of their proccedings than just users.

Around the Network

This (http://vgchartz.com/worldcons.php) page is called Worldwide Hardware Shipments.

And this (http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdatapsp_e.html) page from Sony states Cumulative Production Shipments, with is even less then "shipped".

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Kwaad said:

Can you answer this one.

What do you want to know about it? It's up for preorder now, available in May.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

reverie said:
Kwaad said:

Can you answer this one.

What do you want to know about it? It's up for preorder now, available in May.

Ahh, I thought it was out already.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

There is a difference between Shipped and sold to consumers, companies like Sony say sold when they mean shipped to retailers

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
There is a difference between Shipped and sold to consumers, companies like Sony say sold when they mean shipped to retailers

You obviously didn't even bother reading the posts did you? The figure 22.9 is not Sony's figures. It's the number of units sold to cunsumers (by the end of sep 2006) from retailers and not shipped numbers from Sony to retailers.