By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Could GT5 flop? (as in do disappointing sales)

the game is so hyped that it is hushed because we are all afraid it might be pushed back again

I Hate the fact that all these pillows are contaminated by retard!!

Around the Network

Depends on expectations... if 15M... then yes I think it won't make the cut. (1/3 instal base...the others sold on a 100M instal base). If very successfull it could reach 10M... but heck look at the PSP score... 1.4M there's not that huge of a die hard fanbase. and there have been many good racing  sims out this gen already. Proof that it'll hurt the game : GT4... sold only 2/3 of GT3... because there was already a good racing sim... GT3. I think a lot of people won't upgrade from prologue.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Hephaestos said:

Depends on expectations... if 15M... then yes I think it won't make the cut. (1/3 instal base...the others sold on a 100M instal base).

GT3 and even GT4 didn't sell on a 100m userbase

If very successfull it could reach 10M... but heck look at the PSP score... 1.4M there's not that huge of a die hard fanbase.

what the hell are you comparing to a piracy laden platform and GT PSP sold 1.9m copies

and there have been many good racing  sims out this gen already.

so

Proof that it'll hurt the game : GT4... sold only 2/3 of GT3... because there was already a good racing sim... GT3.I think a lot of people won't upgrade from prologue.

lol so you think even the GT5P fans will abandon

the buy a demo but not the full version

There have been several things this Gen that will affect GT5 sales.  There are a few people around here thinking its going to sell 15 million units and 3 or 4 million PS3's alone.  You guys are going to be VERY VERY upset with those kinds of predictions.  Honestly that is not going to happen. 

And here is why:

1) The PS3 user base is no where near what the PS2 base was back in the day.  The attach ratio would have to be a lot better than anything we have seen so far for the PS3.  People continually site this and that and all the former GT games that sold x million copies and that the demo has sold x many copies.  Well the demo was given away free for some time so a lot of that shouldn't count toward what the GT:5 p sold.  If anything GT:5 P would piss me off,  sorta like dangling a carrot on a stick in front of a horse.  It can almost reach it but it continually cant get to it.  ( several of the GT games were bundled as well).

2) The continual delays that we have became used to has seriously put a lot of people off.  Nothing like waiting for something so long that in the end you turn against it.  I know I have done that several times in my life.  Delays are bad when it happens for 3 or 4 months but when that turns into years, only god knows how pissed some people are.  And pissed off people generally go somewhere else to play.  If thats Forza or some other race game so be it.

3) A lot of the GT:5 players have merged over to the 360 or the Wii.  There are no doubts the 360 has gained a lot of Sony's market share.  And the only way GT:5 will do 10 Million plus is if there is a huge exodus away from the 360 and the PS3 bundles it for a long time.  Which I honestly don't see happening.

4) This is probably the biggest problem that GT:5 faces this gen.  People have moved along to different genres.  The people who buy these types of games are simply turning to something else.  I don't think anyone who really thinks about it for a few moments will say differently.  Games centered at Racing have been losing popularity for some time.  Which saddens me very much because I happen to love most racing games.  Racing simply isn't what it used to be and I don't think its a console seller like last gen.

I still think GT:5 will do really well, just not 10 million units or more.  I have said before that it will do between 4.5-6 million units sold.  With marginal bundling.  If its bundled a ton it may do 5-7.5 million.

Just my opinion, who knows it may do 20 million. :P  ha ha.....

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Yeah, one of the reasons i got a PS3 so early was because i thought GT5 was bound to hit back then. Really though i think the hype just died. Im still buyin the game, but i'm lookin forward for other games more than this

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Hephaestos said:

Depends on expectations... if 15M... then yes I think it won't make the cut. (1/3 instal base...the others sold on a 100M instal base).

GT3 and even GT4 didn't sell on a 100m userbase

If very successfull it could reach 10M... but heck look at the PSP score... 1.4M there's not that huge of a die hard fanbase.

what the hell are you comparing to a piracy laden platform and GT PSP sold 1.9m copies

and there have been many good racing  sims out this gen already.

so

Proof that it'll hurt the game : GT4... sold only 2/3 of GT3... because there was already a good racing sim... GT3.I think a lot of people won't upgrade from prologue.

lol so you think even the GT5P fans will abandon

the buy a demo but not the full version

What a thourough argumentation...

1. GT3 and 4 didn't sell 15 and 10M day one, they did so throughout the life of the console which sold what? 140M now? Would you say the games are not good enough for New PS2 buyers to buy them?

2. I said Diehard fans, cause thse guys that are suposed to buy a 150 € limited edition would surely pay the 30€ for the PSP version instead of DLing it. Especially since they probably bought their PSP in the first place for GTPSP that was a pre launch taunt video....

3. So, competition in this category is higher than it ever was console wise...

4. where did I say fans?  it says prologue for a reason, so that casuals buy the demo unknowingly that it's a demo.  Also the game was bundled with the PS3. I  said many people will not buy GT5 even though they got P, the ones I listed are part of them. Others will have succombed to competition and considering the amount of cars and tracks all these gamesalready have, the marginal gain of getting GT5 is very little for the non Diehard fans.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Depends. Some expectations are for this to perform in range with other Gran Turismo titles, which could prove accurate, or not. My doubts mostly stem from the fact that we've never seen Gran Turismo on an underperforming PlayStation platform (except for GT Mobile, but that had issues all its own).

GT5's performance will settle the question of whether GT's success has driven the PlayStation brand, or been driven *by* the PlayStation brand. (though Europe loves them some GT, so it's going to be a console-pusher in EMEAA regardless)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

damndl0ser said:

There have been several things this Gen that will affect GT5 sales.  There are a few people around here thinking its going to sell 15 million units and 3 or 4 million PS3's alone.  You guys are going to be VERY VERY upset with those kinds of predictions.  Honestly that is not going to happen. 

not many people are expecting anything like that you should see the GT5 sales prediction thread

And here is why:

1) The PS3 user base is no where near what the PS2 base was back in the day.  The attach ratio would have to be a lot better than anything we have seen so far for the PS3.  

wat????????????????

GT3 sold on a lower userbase than GT5 will release at

and the attack ration was big then too

People continually site this and that and all the former GT games that sold x million copies and that the demo has sold x many copies.  Well the demo was given away free for some time so a lot of that shouldn't count toward what the GT:5 p sold.

what demo was given as free???????????????????????

If anything GT:5 P would piss me off,  sorta like dangling a carrot on a stick in front of a horse.  It can almost reach it but it continually cant get to it.  ( several of the GT games were bundled as well).

so what if they were bundled????????????????

this is be bundled too and they were a premium bundles

2) The continual delays that we have became used to has seriously put a lot of people off.  Nothing like waiting for something so long that in the end you turn against it.  I know I have done that several times in my life.  Delays are bad when it happens for 3 or 4 months but when that turns into years, only god knows how pissed some people are.  And pissed off people generally go somewhere else to play.  If thats Forza or some other race game so be it.

GT games have always had delay.

3) A lot of the GT:5 players have merged over to the 360 or the Wii.

wat????????????????????

There are no doubts the 360 has gained a lot of Sony's market share.  And the only way GT:5 will do 10 Million plus is if there is a huge exodus away from the 360 and the PS3 bundles it for a long time.  Which I honestly don't see happening.

yes 360 did but not so much the GT5 fanbase

4) This is probably the biggest problem that GT:5 faces this gen.  People have moved along to different genres.  The people who buy these types of games are simply turning to something else.  I don't think anyone who really thinks about it for a few moments will say differently.  Games centered at Racing have been losing popularity for some time.  Which saddens me very much because I happen to love most racing games.  Racing simply isn't what it used to be and I don't think its a console seller like last gen.

agree but the main thing is that there have not been any good racing games this generation

i know forza,PGR but there have not been any standouts

GT5 could be that standing out

I still think GT:5 will do really well, just not 10 million units or more.  I have said before that it will do between 4.5-6 million units sold.  With marginal bundling.  If its bundled a ton it may do 5-7.5 million.

so you think it could seel less than GT5P...................LMAO

Just my opinion, who knows it may do 20 million. :P  ha ha.....

YEAH WHO KNOWS

Its funny that the frustration from waiting make people decide to pass on something they like. Exactly like childrens who penalize themselves from not getting half of something they could get because they wanted everything.

Cthulhu said:

I already bought (a week ago) the G27 and the G27 wheel stand pro...thats 254euro and 130euro...just to play GT5

Also I have preordered the limited edition of GT5

Am I hyped enough?

PS: the plus is not supported?

Haha this! Just bought G27 only for GT5!