By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Could GT5 flop? (as in do disappointing sales)

AkibaFan said:

i hve this fear. I see no hype for gt5 on here or any othr forum on the intrnet. evry1 is excited for new COD, halo, evn LBP2 has more excitement.

I remembr when GT3 was going to release, the hype in months to its launch ws really high, for gt5 ther is nuthing.

the pre-orders in america are vry bad, its doing less than othr titles which shudn't be doing more than a GT game...ff14, fable 3, assasins creed and evn kh on the psp is doing bettr pre-orders weekly thn gt5.

cud gt5 do very disappointing sales (sub 5/6 million)

Prologue is approaching 5mil.

In other words, chill!

Around the Network

No it won't.

ArnoldRimmer said:

I don't know if sales will be disappointing, but considering how long it's been in development and all the work put into the game, I think there's absolutely no chance it will be a financial success - even with fantastic sales it will most probably not even cover the development costs.

I always believed Gran Turismo to attract to a very small audience by the way, because it's so extremely focussed on realism. I played GT5 prologue, and I found it so hard and challenging that Forza 3 felt like Mario Kart in comparison.

Gt5P physics still need some work. Some cars was a pain to drive with default car settings. After making some ajustments I found some of these cars were more bearable to drive.  The lastest news is GT5 is a lot better except on dirt. Hopefully this will be improved before it's release.

Smidlee said:
ArnoldRimmer said:

I don't know if sales will be disappointing, but considering how long it's been in development and all the work put into the game, I think there's absolutely no chance it will be a financial success - even with fantastic sales it will most probably not even cover the development costs.

I always believed Gran Turismo to attract to a very small audience by the way, because it's so extremely focussed on realism. I played GT5 prologue, and I found it so hard and challenging that Forza 3 felt like Mario Kart in comparison.

Gt5P physics still need some work. Some cars was a pain to drive with default car settings. After making some ajustments I found some of these cars were more bearable to drive.  The lastest news is GT5 is a lot better except on dirt. Hopefully this will be improved before it's release.

wouldn't a tire change help?

Kennyheart said:

No it won't.

=)

It wont but they definitly need to promote this game now, whether its using it at races such as nascar or making a gt5 bundle, hopefully the marketing persuation will work bcus ive seen many teasers on black ops and halo reach, no gt5 yet. so while the hype isnt here yet, i think sony will eventually come up with a marketing campaign so this game will sell huge.

Above I'm a proud Gran Turismo fan, not a Sony fanboy, and now a proud 360 owner, but sharing xbox live accts ATM

End of 2009 Predictions (made Jan 1, 2009): My predictions were pretty accurate, the 360 was over and the Wii was just under.

Wii: 65 mil (yea I'm crazy) 360: 35 mil (its getting there) PS3: 30 mil (the slim better do well)

End of 2010 Predictions (made Jan 7, 2010):

Wii: 81 mil  360: 47 mil PS3: 45 mil

Around the Network
GranTurismoHelperMax said:
Kennyheart said:

No it won't.

=)

It wont but they definitly need to promote this game now, whether its using it at races such as nascar or making a gt5 bundle, hopefully the marketing persuation will work bcus ive seen many teasers on black ops and halo reach, no gt5 yet. so while the hype isnt here yet, i think sony will eventually come up with a marketing campaign so this game will sell huge.

maybe even using Nascar drivers to promote the game in commercials.

GranTurismoHelperMax said:
Kennyheart said:

No it won't.

=)

there's only one reason why Sony is not marketing GT5 yet.

Halo:Reach.

that game is getting the most hype of 2010 and the most sales...when Halo:Reach comes out, we'll see the streets flooded with GT5 ads.

besides, there's the Move Controller coming out in september, they can't affort 2 marketing campaigns at the same time.

imo, when the marketing campaign starts WW we will see 100k-200k weeks of pre-orders until launch.

and i've to add that GT5 is tracking above MW2 in the US which opened with 1.5M...imo it's doing just fine, don't expect a Halo:Reach kind of release in the US, expect that kind of release in Europe.

the game won't flop without a doubt, the game is in my list of most hyped games ever, i wait every day to see any GT5 news...

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

Casual or semi-hardcore gamer doesnt pre-order many games, only hardcore do that. And GT5 appeal to every group. It can sell more than another game that have 5 times the pre-order. Also, it will have more time to sell since we arent going to get GT 6 or another racer as complete before some time.

If by flop you mean more than 10 million in sales then yes it will flop. I don't see this game selling more than MW2. MW2 was a huge success on PS3 so GT5 will be a success as well but its not going to be the biggest game ever. If anyone thinks this game will sell more than Reach they need to wake up. GT5 will have to have a 40% attach ratio to beat Reach in sales and thats just not going to happen.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
themanwithnoname said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

i'm not sure! if so where did 15m people go? did they just drop of the face of the earth.

i think GT5P 3m is a good mark to judge GT5 by! if you think about it tradition demos don't sell 3m units so just multiply it by 2 and 6m is what most likely the sells will be by the end of the yr 10m by summer of next yr and 15m by the end of holiday season 2011 or more. 

i need to know more about how GT sells so i can do a more accurate depiction of possible sells, but anything can happen so.

15 million at the end of next year? Is that really your prediction?

well how long do you think it will take thats if you think it will reach 15m.

i no longer make predictions. it's an estimated guise based on previous sells.

read my last sentence in my previous post, but i am dieing to know what you think.

15 million people did not fall off the face of the earth but I'd make a bet at least half of them moved to the 360. You'd have to be crazy if you think GT5 is going to be the best selling in the series when the PS3 has sold 1/4 of what the PS2 sold. The attach ratio would have to be ridiculous for this to happen.