By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Lady GaGa to release new album with genre defining music

I cant take a performer named GaGa serious. Why does she have dress strange.  What does that have to do with music?

What she should do is dress a little less freaky get a tight band and write songs that resonate with people.

Like Tom Petty He depends on a tight band and good music and lyrics we can relate to

he was more defining than she is

Not saying she couldn't be 

Around the Network
thelalaby said:
leo-j said:

Yes but rihanna has never been an out there type of performer 24/7, disturbia was a theme for her song..

Then again Rated R is a completely differen't side of her. Who knows, all I know is most artists have become a bit more provocative in there performances, and have upped the ante a little bit compared to a generation ago, when it was ok to lip sync.

All for the best

Ok, you are acting like nobody has been provocative in their performances before Lady GaGa started singing or like no dance song has ever hit no.1 before Lady GaGa. Most songs that hit no.1 are dance songs, and this has been case since forever.

give me 10 dance techno songs that have gone #1 in the U.S before lady gaga.. in other words before mid 2008

mM
KylieDog said:
Carl2291 said:
KylieDog said:

Westlife were massively popular like that once.

So was Elvis. And the Beatles. And Madonna. And Michael Jackson.

Wonder what happened to them.

Oh Gaga and Westlife were loved by millions for decades?  My mistake.

burn!!

I think this is the age, where everyone hates on everyone. There will never be another Elvis, MJ or anyone that epic again.

I along with many other people hate her fame, but i'll be the first to admit that she makes decent music. I mean its not my thing, but its not half bad.

Conner52 said:

I can't quite understand Lady Gaga, she goes on talk shows and acts like a conservative, quaint, sweetheart but when she goes out and gets on stage she acts like a total tramp. I see generation defining music in the terms of female pop artists as people like Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Madonna, and Whitney Houston. She is like Rihanna or Katy Perry, a lackluster singer who is popular for catchy tunes with no depth and acting 'different'. 

She has done nothing original thus far, I haven't looked too far into it but I highly doubt she writes or composes her music. Her voice is lackluster, and eventually people will get tired of her. 

if you know nothing about her, then don't post.. this just shows me the epitamy of the responses in this thread.. a stereotype, and a hatred against an artist just because she is a pop singer.

as for singing:

1. She is one of the best sigers in the music business

2. Her songs have way  more depth than you make it out to be (not according to me)

3. She is the most original artist since MJ, Madonna (not according to me)

4. She writes and composes not only her music, but music for.. spears, lambert, pussy cat dolls, and many more..

mM

I think worrying about originality is overblown. I mean seriously who out there singing nowadays is truly original? I'm sure we throw any artist out there and their music, fashion, personality, etc. could be directly compared to someone that came earlier they either were directly or indirectly influenced by. Who cares? Some good Nas lyrics to make my point with:

"No idea's original, there's nothing new under the sun
It's never what you do but how it's done"

The thing is we don't know what the future holds. We can't accurately predict the influence and lifeline an artist will have decades from now. All I know is, at this current moment and the foreseeable future, Lady GaGa is the top dog in music. Let's not pretend that other artists who influenced previous generations like The Beatles and Michael Jackson didn't make remarkably simple and shallow music at times. Let's also remember the timeline some of these influential acts had when they finally elevated their music to a more critically acceptable level. GaGa as far as I can tell elevated herself musically already once going from The Fame to The Fame Monster. Lyrically it's deeper than her earlier effort. The album itself is more cohesive and has a running theme. She has plenty of time to grow as an artist and influence consumers and other artists through different sounds throughout her career if she does indeed turn out to be legit.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
perpride said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Back to reality....Lady Gaga is nothing more than a gimmick. Period. She wont define any generation and she is definately not on the same level as Kurt Cabain, John Lennon, Jim Morrison, or Jimmy Hendrix (people who actually defined Generations because there music meant something and wasnt just a catchy beat with a digitally enhanced voice) 

Wrong. Lady Gaga does define a generation. She defines the digital generation. She is the highest selling digital artist of all time. She is the most liked person on Facebook. She is the most followed person on twitter. And she is the most watched person on Youtube.

Sorry, that's pretty damning evidence.

yeh but every single thing you just said will change within the next 3 years....

@OkeyDokey - and if all of that was around when Brittany spears was at the height of her popularity it would have been the same thing. Look were she is now though. Lady Gaga will have about the same lasting effect and will be forgotten several years from now.

@perpride - Well put!

Um, I fucking HATE Britney Spears but she is a pop culture icon and will never be forgotten. Where is Britney now? Grossing 100 million on tour and still selling millions of albums and getting number 1 hits after the most publicized breakdown in media history.

That comparison does nothing for your argument. Seriously, do your research.

If you paid attention to previous post I did due my research. As I stated her past two albums have shown her complete decline in her affect on pop culture. The black out just moved a little under 1 million copies sold in the U.S and Circus is at 1.5mill sold in the U.S which is terrible in comparison to all of her previous efforts.

Sure she was pretty big in the early 2000's but she literally has become irrelevant. Also if you check this link she actually hasn't had many #1 hits since the breakdown so maybe it's you who should do your homework before making a statement like that :P

http://www.billboard.com/artist/britney-spears/290150#/artist/britney-spears/chart-history/290150

No, you haven't done your research. She's had TWO Billboard Hot 100 number 1's ("Womanizer" and "3") since 2008. She only has one other #1 in her entire career. And if you knew anything about the music industry, you'd know that album sales are WAY down in general. It's a miracle that Gaga's able to sell 10 million albums in a time like this.

Too bad the fact that she had 2 #1  in the past few years has contributed nothing to really push the sales of her albums.

"Shakes head" Since 2007 (Using this year because I referenced Blackout, which camer out in 07') their have been a fair amount of Artist that have had strong album sales. Also can you stop making the "research" comments because I'm actually giving a reasonable argument instead of a half-assed response (like what you've been doing).

Any person who looks at the billboard album charts knows that record album sales in the U.S are down significantly, now had "you" known anything about the music industry (as you called me out on) you would have know that worldwide sales figures are still maintaining a fairly stable level. ( The music industry isnt just the U.S :P )

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-2007.htm

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-2008.htm

http://www.mediatraffic.de/year-end-albums.htm

Here's a small list of artists (don't have time to find ever multiplat seller) who've maintained  significant sales (U.S figures)

Nickel Back - Dark Horse (3 Million)

Kid Rock - Rock N Roll Jesus (3 Million)

Linkin Park - Minutes To Midnight (3 Million)

AC/DC - Black Ice (2 million plus ) Last updated number for this album was 2008, which is why I put plus 

Taylor Swift - (6 Million)

Coldplay - Viva La Vida (2.7 Millon)

Beyonce - I Am Sasha Feirce (2.7 Million)

Alicia Keys -  As I Am (3.7 Million)

Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D (2.7 million)

Lil Wayne - The Carter III (3.5 Million)

You can wikipedia the albums which give you the numbers for the albums sales (they provide R.I.A.A articles for the figures)

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

No, you haven't done your research. She's had TWO Billboard Hot 100 number 1's ("Womanizer" and "3") since 2008. She only has one other #1 in her entire career. And if you knew anything about the music industry, you'd know that album sales are WAY down in general. It's a miracle that Gaga's able to sell 10 million albums in a time like this.

Too bad the fact that she had 2 #1  in the past few years has contributed nothing to really push the sales of her albums.

"Shakes head" Since 2007 (Using this year because I referenced Blackout, which camer out in 07') their have been a fair amount of Artist that have had strong album sales. Also can you stop making the "research" comments because I'm actually giving a reasonable argument instead of a half-assed response (like what you've been doing).

Any person who looks at the billboard album charts knows that record album sales in the U.S are down significantly, now had "you" known anything about the music industry (as you called me out on) you would have know that worldwide sales figures are still maintaining a fairly stable level. ( The music industry isnt just the U.S :P )

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-2007.htm

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-2008.htm

http://www.mediatraffic.de/year-end-albums.htm

Here's a small list of artists (don't have time to find ever multiplat seller) who've maintained  significant sales (U.S figures)

Nickel Back - Dark Horse (3 Million)

Kid Rock - Rock N Roll Jesus (3 Million)

Linkin Park - Minutes To Midnight (3 Million)

AC/DC - Black Ice (2 million plus ) Last updated number for this album was 2008, which is why I put plus 

Taylor Swift - (6 Million)

Coldplay - Viva La Vida (2.7 Millon)

Beyonce - I Am Sasha Feirce (2.7 Million)

Alicia Keys -  As I Am (3.7 Million)

Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D (2.7 million)

Lil Wayne - The Carter III (3.5 Million)

You can wikipedia the albums which give you the numbers for the albums sales (they provide R.I.A.A articles for the figures)

You're missing the point. I never said Britney didn't decline. You said Lady Gaga will be forgotten like Britney Spears. I was just trying to prove that that comparison is vapid because Britney is still relevant 10 years later and her career is showing no signs of stopping. She made Forbes top-earning celebrities list this year without releasing any new material.

/discussion.

Hello

Just a question :

Does someone here aged more than 20 like Lady Gaga

Because i really can't imagine someone knowing music before the 2000s that likes Lady Gaga.  I mean no disrespect for the kids who like her but come on...

Bye.

Zones : I still don't understand all the love for Blizzard, what was the last game they developed worth playing?
mrpapaye said:

Hello

Just a question :

Because i really can't imagine someone knowing music before the 2000s that likes Lady Gaga.  I mean no disrespect for the kids who like her but come on...

Bye.

I'm 30 and I like her. She makes great pop music, I don't ask for more.

Signature goes here!

mrpapaye said:

Hello

Just a question :

Bye.

26 here. She's my favorite female act on the market.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.