By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Lady GaGa to release new album with genre defining music

thelalaby said:
perpride said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Back to reality....Lady Gaga is nothing more than a gimmick. Period. She wont define any generation and she is definately not on the same level as Kurt Cabain, John Lennon, Jim Morrison, or Jimmy Hendrix (people who actually defined Generations because there music meant something and wasnt just a catchy beat with a digitally enhanced voice) 

Wrong. Lady Gaga does define a generation. She defines the digital generation. She is the highest selling digital artist of all time. She is the most liked person on Facebook. She is the most followed person on twitter. And she is the most watched person on Youtube.

Sorry, that's pretty damning evidence.

yeh but every single thing you just said will change within the next 3 years...

Michael Jackson is the most liked person on facebook. Britney Spears is the most followed person on twitter. And recently, Justin Bieber's "Baby" overtook "Bad Romance" as the most watched video on youtube proving that millions of views on youtube mean NOTHING.

Yet gaga is still the most watched person on youtube.. by what billions over bieber? And she is the most followed person on twitter behind a person who sold over 100 million albums and has been in the industry for 12 years.. And she is the most followed living person on facebook over the president of the united states himself..

mM
Around the Network
Kamal said:

If Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga had a fight who would win?

All of us!

axumblade said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
kooties said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Back to reality....Lady Gaga is nothing more than a gimmick. Period. She wont define any generation and she is definately not on the same level as Kurt Cabain, John Lennon, Jim Morrison, or Jimmy Hendrix (people who actually defined Generations because there music meant something and wasnt just a catchy beat with a digitally enhanced voice) 

typical elitist bullshit.

Not generation defining? She's become one of the most recognized artists of the late noughties and she's only done two albums so far. The era of music is defined by what was the most visible / popular at that time, and not what a minority thought was the best of the era. (Personally Vedder > Cobain)

Also it's really easy to easily to simplify artists to the point of easy dismissal, such as the tired shoegazers, 4 powerchord songs, average vocalists, and simple pentatonic soloists that you just listed. (I don't mean that, I love The Doors and Nirvana, but the way you presented that argument is akin to the typical elitist that listens only to local scene and the 5 bands he heard as a kid.)

You have quite the vivid imagination,lol. First of all what is the late noughties? I though this was the 2010's. Now to address your first statement. What defines an era of music is not always necessarily what gets the most radio airplay or is played on MTV constantly. Brittany spears sold millions of albums, ect, and years later is literally completely forgotten about (because her music meant nothing) It's music with meaning that actually reaches people in that generation that ends up defining it.

How am I being an elitist? I gave a short list of musicians who actually defined generations and I can add more (Thome Yorke,Black Francis, Layne Staley, Eddie Vedder, Trent Reznor, Maynard Keenan).Here's also a more  recent list of artists who have more talent in their left finger than Lady Gaga? ( Muse,  Arcade Fire, Avenge Sevenfold, Shinedown, Stone Sour).

My main point was is that she will not define a generation. She brings nothing original to the music scene besides the costume's she wears on stage (her image was manufactured by the record company anyways). There's nothing wrong in listening to catchy pop music but to take an artist like Lady Gaga as serious as Leo J does is rather hilarious. 

Defining a generation doesn't mean that everybody listens to the person. It means they are a major inspiration for what is going on in that time, which is apparent if you look at pop and r&b singers that are coming out now. Whether she is prepackaged or not, it doesn't really matter because "lady gaga" is what is influencing a lot of artists in that particular genre.

Who is she influencing artist wise? I havent really seen anyone copy her image or her sound. I mean it's no where near on the same level as what the Pixes did for the alternative rock scene or what Chuck Berry did for rock music.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

perpride said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Wrong. Lady Gaga does define a generation. She defines the digital generation. She is the highest selling digital artist of all time. She is the most liked person on Facebook. She is the most followed person on twitter. And she is the most watched person on Youtube.

Sorry, that's pretty damning evidence.

yeh but every single thing you just said will change within the next 3 years....

@OkeyDokey - and if all of that was around when Brittany spears was at the height of her popularity it would have been the same thing. Look were she is now though. Lady Gaga will have about the same lasting effect and will be forgotten several years from now.

@perpride - Well put!

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
axumblade said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
kooties said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

typical elitist bullshit.

Not generation defining? She's become one of the most recognized artists of the late noughties and she's only done two albums so far. The era of music is defined by what was the most visible / popular at that time, and not what a minority thought was the best of the era. (Personally Vedder > Cobain)

Also it's really easy to easily to simplify artists to the point of easy dismissal, such as the tired shoegazers, 4 powerchord songs, average vocalists, and simple pentatonic soloists that you just listed. (I don't mean that, I love The Doors and Nirvana, but the way you presented that argument is akin to the typical elitist that listens only to local scene and the 5 bands he heard as a kid.)

You have quite the vivid imagination,lol. First of all what is the late noughties? I though this was the 2010's. Now to address your first statement. What defines an era of music is not always necessarily what gets the most radio airplay or is played on MTV constantly. Brittany spears sold millions of albums, ect, and years later is literally completely forgotten about (because her music meant nothing) It's music with meaning that actually reaches people in that generation that ends up defining it.

How am I being an elitist? I gave a short list of musicians who actually defined generations and I can add more (Thome Yorke,Black Francis, Layne Staley, Eddie Vedder, Trent Reznor, Maynard Keenan).Here's also a more  recent list of artists who have more talent in their left finger than Lady Gaga? ( Muse,  Arcade Fire, Avenge Sevenfold, Shinedown, Stone Sour).

My main point was is that she will not define a generation. She brings nothing original to the music scene besides the costume's she wears on stage (her image was manufactured by the record company anyways). There's nothing wrong in listening to catchy pop music but to take an artist like Lady Gaga as serious as Leo J does is rather hilarious. 

Defining a generation doesn't mean that everybody listens to the person. It means they are a major inspiration for what is going on in that time, which is apparent if you look at pop and r&b singers that are coming out now. Whether she is prepackaged or not, it doesn't really matter because "lady gaga" is what is influencing a lot of artists in that particular genre.

Who is she influencing artist wise? I havent really seen anyone copy her image or her sound. I mean it's no where near on the same level as what the Pixes did for the alternative rock scene or what Chuck Berry did for rock music.

really?

rihanna 06:

rihanna 2010:

katy perry 2008:

katy perry 2010:

celebrities before gaga:

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/0/88/49_2007/wedding2007.jpg

celebrties now:

http://photos.posh24.com/p/791424/lst/fashion_disaster/this_weeks_worst_dressed_celebrities_2010-03-14.jpg

everyone in 2009 kept jaw dropping themselves looking at gaga every single "DAY" of her career, she would wear something jaw droppingly interesting, now in 2010 its not just her wearing what she wears.. Other's are starting to catch on to her style, and it's becoming a trend, ever notice the hairbow on every girl today? And all that techno colored clothing today? Guess who started that ..

and guess what?

I rest my case..

mM
Around the Network

Cmon people, let's be serious. Whether you like her or not, she's become extremly popular within what? 4 years? That's amazing. I don't hear any kind of pop music, not even hers, I prefer to support indie bands instead of most commercial artists, but Lady Gaga is different - I can see that she has talent, singing and performing. Saying that she's forgotable is the typical "let's hate what's popular nowadays" thought. If she had like 5000 subscribers in youtube, I bet you'd say she's the most underrated pop artist ever. The truth is, what if she inspired herself in Grace Jones? All she did was inspire, not a blatant copy.

As for sound..

2005-2008,

USHER= R and B

AKON= R and B

Aguilera = SOUL / R and B

Rihanna = Pop/ R and B

Ne-Oh= R and B

Katy perry = Pop rock

Enrique Iglesia= Latin/Pop

In the U.S dance music was never allowed to be played on radio, which is ONE REASON why madonna's last album never really managed to go full fledged diamond in the U.S or onto the mainstream pop radio..

Guess who changed that?

Lady GaGa- Late 2008 Electro/techno pop

the only one to do it in the U.S too.. everyone on the list above was a step behind her, and that literally pushed her up dramaticaly in fame.. atleast that's what I saw it to be.. and her style was way ahead of its time..

Now?

Usher = Dance/electro pop

Rihanna = Pop/R and B/electro pop

Katy perry = Dance/electro Pop

Enrique= Dance/Electro Pop

Ne-Oh= Dance/electro pop

Akon = Dance/electro pop

Aguilera = pop/dance/electro pop

Don't tell me she hasn't done shit for the music industry, because that just shows how misinformed you are about the pop music industry.

mM

She already changed pop music. Look at how we have new artists that can't sing in real life (Katy Perry, that kesha person) copying her style and sound? Even artists that have a voice like Christina Agelera or w/e  "copyed" her.

For those of you saying she can't sing, you are so in denial is hilarious. She actually knows how to play an intrument (piano) and when she sings live and slows down her music, you listen to the better versions of all her song.

Lady Gaga is one of the worst musicians I've ever heard. The thought of having to listen to any of "her" songs disgusts me and I'm appauled just looking at "her".

Chairman-Mao said:

Lady Gaga is one of the worst musicians I've ever heard. The thought of having to listen to any of "her" songs disgusts me and I'm appauled just looking at "her".

mM