By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Oh CRAP. I broke my HDD.

6 flights...that's beyond most drives impact tolerance imo, even when not spinning

might even have cracked/shattered the platters :(

hope not 'cause that would suck immensely...

GENTLY shake the drive and if you hear a tinkling I'm afraid you're pretty F'ed

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network
selnor said:

Guys I'm distraught.

I dropped my 360 HDD down a flight of 6 stairs. It is not smashed at all, but I plugged it back in, and the damn thing E68 on me. I have lost all my bloody game saves. 

Is there any chance this tin foil thing will work? 

I just wanna extract my saves so I dont have to lose everything.

Almost the same happened to me. Dropped my HDD too and lost all the savegames. Could not get them back by myself but it is possible to recover them. It just costs something like 100$ or even more. :(

Aye mate I feel for you.

Not many options for you to take...if it's worth the$$$ then well you know what to do...

Sadily I'm just waiting for a few sony kidz to come in and start the war.

Now this is why I wish we could still use memory cards for saved games... More modern memory cards of course, not those huge blocks that have like 8MB of space.

Zkuq said:

Now this is why I wish we could still use memory cards for saved games... More modern memory cards of course, not those huge blocks that have like 8MB of space.

We can't use usb thumb drives for saved games now?  I thought you could.  I will try later just to see.   If not that completely sucks ass.

*****EDIT*****

On topic, make sure to never open the drive if you ever want to have a chance at retrieving your saves.  If you open it you will more than likely get dirt and dust between the platters and the reader heads.  It takes experts who do this stuff and most are in very clean rooms to minimize these dust particles.   There are several places online to get this info back, but it is very pricey.  And in some cases you simply can't get everything you want off of the drives.  

Like the person above stated, make sure and gently shake the drive and if you can hear loose particles inside the hard drive its pretty much gone.  The platters will have been cracked or broken and that means no fixing.

Good luck either way, I wish you luck on it.  Even though I don't have a lot of saves, I would miss them a lot if they were taken away.  Esp... the mass effect ones. 

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Around the Network

bringing to a mate's... that's what memory cards/USB keys were made for....

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Do you have a component cable selnor?

if you do, instead of switching from HD to Tv by using that cable, just plug off the HD cable and have the SD cable in and then go back and plug the HD cable.

the xbox restarts when you switch cables.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

That HDD is toast after six flights of stairs. Don't even waste your time thinking about it anymore.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Dude that sucks ... you really shouldn't put your precious so close to 6 flights of stairs!!!!!