By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Best Graphics this Gen - Gears 3

hasanwhy said:

 

Please please PLEEEEEASE, someone answer me with a valid point of how such and such game is graphically superior to Uncharted 2 and can be found on another console other than the PS3. I really want to find a game that is superior to it but can be found on maybe say the PC or the 360. 


There are many games that look superior on the PC. Even console games like Battlefied BC 2 running on DX11 PC look better than Uncharted 2.

Here are some of the reason why PC version Metro 2033 looks better.

Texture detail - Metro 2033 uses 2048^2 texture size...Due to PS3 ram memory limit, Uncharted 2 doesn't even have half that. Put both games on a 1080p 60 inch TV and you see the drifference in textures.

Frame rate - if you have the hardware you can have metro running 60 fps. Once you get used to 60fps gaming, 30 fps looks crap.

DX11- tesselation and filter effect that DX11 do are quite beyond any console game.

Lighting - Even the 360 version of Metro 2033 has some really impressive lighting effects but the PC version has best indoor lighting effect on any game. Smoke, gas, fog, particles...all comes to life.

I will admit that Uncharted 2 is an amazing achievement on the limiting hardware, and is much better optimized than any PC game. PC hardware 10X more powerful than PS3 can run a game like metro 2033 that doesn't look anywhere close to 10X as good...



Around the Network

Rage on PC is probably going to make any game for PS3 or X360 look like last gen.



Dude Crysis 1 blow uncharted 2 away ... not Pc here we all know pc is better...



Reach said:

Dude Crysis 1 blow uncharted 2 away ... not Pc here we all know pc is better...


and yet you said that gears 3 is going to be the best looking game this gen.

you sir are smart!



Being in 3rd place never felt so good

iWarMachine said:
Sweep said:
d21lewis said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
d21lewis said:

I'm pretty much wasting space while typing this but I was in Gamestop earlier, waiting in line.  They showed videos on the monitor of Will Ferrel's new movie, Madden 11, and some 3rd person shooter that looked better than Gears AND Uncharted.  I instantly said, "I gotta have that!"  And now, I can't even remember the name of the game.  It featured a guy and a girl, though.


Quantum theory? :S


I found an E3 site and looked up every game that looked anything like what I saw.  I found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG4oLZR3Q

Cutscenes don't make a game but nevertheless, Enslaved looks good

OMG that thing never can be like uncharted...the detail is non existant! guys, i can't believe that you're comparing it to U2...it doesn't even look better than Gears 2!

It runs on the same Unreal Engine version as Gears of War 1. So no, it cant be as impressive in detail etc.

Now art direction is a different contest.



Around the Network

Reminds me of Uncharted 2... but I can't say it looks better for some reason... And I think GoW3 looks better than Uncharted2.



disolitude said:
hasanwhy said:

 

Please please PLEEEEEASE, someone answer me with a valid point of how such and such game is graphically superior to Uncharted 2 and can be found on another console other than the PS3. I really want to find a game that is superior to it but can be found on maybe say the PC or the 360. 


There are many games that look superior on the PC. Even console games like Battlefied BC 2 running on DX11 PC look better than Uncharted 2.

Here are some of the reason why PC version Metro 2033 looks better.

Texture detail - Metro 2033 uses 2048^2 texture size...Due to PS3 ram memory limit, Uncharted 2 doesn't even have half that. Put both games on a 1080p 60 inch TV and you see the drifference in textures.

Frame rate - if you have the hardware you can have metro running 60 fps. Once you get used to 60fps gaming, 30 fps looks crap.

DX11- tesselation and filter effect that DX11 do are quite beyond any console game.

Lighting - Even the 360 version of Metro 2033 has some really impressive lighting effects but the PC version has best indoor lighting effect on any game. Smoke, gas, fog, particles...all comes to life.

I will admit that Uncharted 2 is an amazing achievement on the limiting hardware, and is much better optimized than any PC game. PC hardware 10X more powerful than PS3 can run a game like metro 2033 that doesn't look anywhere close to 10X as good...

I understand completely that the PC's vast resevior of power allows it to reproduce games 10x better than on any other console. But my point was that I wanted to find Software that was absolutely incredible on its own without relying on the Console to improve its looks. Like Crysis is a game that comes close.



<a href="http://us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/visit/profiles/isti1122"><imgsrc="http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/isti1122.png" width="230" height="155" border="0" /></a><br/><a href="http://www.us.playstation.com/psn/signup">Get your Portable ID!</a>

Reach said:

Dude Crysis 1 blow uncharted 2 away ... not Pc here we all know pc is better...

In a way, it has, but how much of that "blowing" was because it ran on a PC? Its a beautiful game and all. But how much GB of space does that game use for textures? Or how about lets go into technical terms and say how advanced is it compared to Uncharted 2. They both use Screen Space Ambient Occlusion for starters.

See I'm not talking about how amazing it looks because lets face it, almost any game running on the PC looks better than *almost* anything on the consoles. What my original point was. Does the game ITSELF look and is incredible without the hardware?

By the way, I know many of you guys look at my avatar and think,"This guy is just an Uncharted fanboy", but in-reality I just chose a random image that was on my computer. I can change it if you guys think that would be better.



<a href="http://us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/visit/profiles/isti1122"><imgsrc="http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/isti1122.png" width="230" height="155" border="0" /></a><br/><a href="http://www.us.playstation.com/psn/signup">Get your Portable ID!</a>

d21lewis said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
d21lewis said:

I'm pretty much wasting space while typing this but I was in Gamestop earlier, waiting in line.  They showed videos on the monitor of Will Ferrel's new movie, Madden 11, and some 3rd person shooter that looked better than Gears AND Uncharted.  I instantly said, "I gotta have that!"  And now, I can't even remember the name of the game.  It featured a guy and a girl, though.


Quantum theory? :S


I found an E3 site and looked up every game that looked anything like what I saw.  I found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG4oLZR3Qx8


A few spots, mainly earlier in trailer, looked a lot less polished than others. Other than that, overall this looks pretty awesome. Seems more fun than most of the games being talked about here, as well.



zgamer5 said:
Reach said:

Dude Crysis 1 blow uncharted 2 away ... not Pc here we all know pc is better...


and yet you said that gears 3 is going to be the best looking game this gen.

you sir are smart!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions bro.



<a href="http://us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/visit/profiles/isti1122"><imgsrc="http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/isti1122.png" width="230" height="155" border="0" /></a><br/><a href="http://www.us.playstation.com/psn/signup">Get your Portable ID!</a>