By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The What If Topics... Halo never existed

I'm gonna make some threads over time to see what people think in what if situations for the Gaming Industry.

So here's the first one:

What if Halo never existed? Would MS have seen success with the original XBox without it? Would FPS games be popular the way it it today without Halo? Would Online Gaming have not taken off with Live if there was no Halo?

Post your thoughts.

Remember this is just all What Ifs so nothing too fanboyish please.

Around the Network

What if Mario didn't exist? Who knows.

The Playstation 1 and 2 basically survived being dependent on 3rd party.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I'm certain of one thing: if Halo never existed, my life would be the very same as it is now.

Maneco's Hall of Lame
As of October 2010 and, hopefully, until the end of times

Notable Mentions (a.k.a. "Games I Played and Hated")

The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Channel

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

Erm.... If Halo never existed then chances are Microsoft would have found some other land-mark game instead. So chances are evenly split that the Xbox 1 would have done somewhat better or somewhat worse.

Well if Halo didn't exist the following things would be quite likely.

1. There wouldn't be Xbox Live like we know it today.

2. The Xbox would have sold way less then it did.

3. The Xbox 360 would have been in 3rd place (if MS would have decided to even make another Xbox)

4. FPS's would most likely not be as popular as they are today.

5. My life would have been very boring seeing as Halo is what really got me into videogaming and without it I probably would have been a much more casual gamer (and stuck to PC RTS games mostly) And I would probably not own even own a 360.

My life would have been totally different without Halo....thank God for Halo!!!

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:

Well if Halo didn't exist the following things would be quite likely.

1. There wouldn't be Xbox Live like we know it today.

2. The Xbox would have sold way less then it did.

3. The Xbox 360 would have been in 3rd place (if MS would have decided to even make another Xbox)

4. FPS's would most likely not be as popular as they are today.

5. My life would have been very boring seeing as Halo is what really got me into videogaming and without it I probably would have been a much more casual gamer (and stuck to PC RTS games mostly) And I would probably not own even own a 360.

My life would have been totally different without Halo....thank God for Halo!!!

I've got the same opinion with ya. Also I have many friends just like you that got hooked up to Gaming all because of Halo Combat Evolved. Amazing really.

Cross-X said:

What if Halo never existed? Would MS have seen success with the original XBox without it? Would FPS games be popular the way it it today without Halo? Would Online Gaming have not taken off with Live if there was no Halo?

1. I would not shed a tear because there are far more gaming franchises and FPS franchises at that I care more about such as Doom, Deus Ex, and Half-Life.

2. No, Halo was the Xbox and without it, MS would have gotten out of the console market in a DreamCast fashion.

3. Yes, undoubtedly. By the time Halo was released, there was Unreal Tournament for MLG play, Counter Strike was still going strong, and games such as Crysis and F.E.A.R. would have still been released.

4. There would have been no Live.

T-bagging would have been less known and practised.. thank god for Halo...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Without Halo, gaming would be pointless. Thank our gods for these gems.

The only difference I can think of between the current reality and this hypothetical alternate universe without Halo is that the other universe would still have cool FPS games that make you work to find health instead of just standing around like a jerk while it recharges.  I think that's the worst thing to happen to the genre honestly.  Now gamers get rewarded for standing still in video games.  I don't play games to stand still (except for certain parts of Wii Fit).  What a joke.