By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Motion Plus, 1 year later

I don't ever remember Nintendo claiming 1:1 for the original Wiimote.

"

Iwata: I suppose the obvious question is: if it offers such huge advantages, why didn’t you use it in the Wii Remote from the very start?

Takamoto: We actually looked into the idea of including a gyro sensor at the very start of the Wii Remote’s development. But the idea was rejected due to issues of both space and cost which attaching a gyro sensor would entail.

Iwata: I see. But gyro sensors are measuring devices that have actually been around for a considerable amount of time, aren’t they?

Takamoto: That’s right. They were originally called gyroscopes and were used to measure angle and rotation speed in rockets and the navigation systems of ships. But they were very bulky instruments.

Iwata: They’re fitted in the noses of airplanes as well, aren’t they?

Takamoto: Right. That’s the sort of size we’re talking about. And let’s not forget that they were also extremely expensive."

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

Yeah, I can just imagine lugging around a wiimote twice as big that cost three times as much, just to get M in with the launch.

The sad thing is the people that really need to have that pointed out to them will never bother reading it.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Iv used my WMP like once... it has pretty lackluster support

ChichiriMuyo said:
mortono said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

I think Nintendo sorta blew it.  Athough Pachter was always wrong, he should have been right baout the WiiHD launching in '09 and it should have had M standard, with WSR as an upgrade for people who don't care about output resolution.  With a move like that their sales wouldn't have dipped and they'd have ample support for a product that genuinely improves the experience.  We'll see after the new Zelda, I guess, since that's really going to prove whther or not its going to get support at all.

No I'm glad Pachter was wrong. Wii HD would basically be the PSP Go of console releases.

They just need more motion plus games, not high-definition graphics.

Hah.  More like the Gameboy Color - an adequate way of extending the system's life while adding enough to spur on more development.  Basically, it'd have increased the lifespan of the system so that Nintendo has the time to develop a proper successor, which may be further out than most think.

Do your research. The GBC came out in 1999, ten years after the original GB. The Wii hasn't even been out half that long, and is selling even faster than the GB, with more hits and killer apps. Claiming it needs a life extention shows you either don't know the facts or are deliberately ignoring them.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
mortono said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

I think Nintendo sorta blew it.  Athough Pachter was always wrong, he should have been right baout the WiiHD launching in '09 and it should have had M standard, with WSR as an upgrade for people who don't care about output resolution.  With a move like that their sales wouldn't have dipped and they'd have ample support for a product that genuinely improves the experience.  We'll see after the new Zelda, I guess, since that's really going to prove whther or not its going to get support at all.

No I'm glad Pachter was wrong. Wii HD would basically be the PSP Go of console releases.

Hah.  More like the Gameboy Color - an adequate way of extending the system's life while adding enough to spur on more development.  Basically, it'd have increased the lifespan of the system so that Nintendo has the time to develop a proper successor, which may be further out than most think.

Do your research. The GBC came out in 1999, ten years after the original GB. The Wii hasn't even been out half that long, and is selling even faster than the GB, with more hits and killer apps. Claiming it needs a life extention shows you either don't know the facts or are deliberately ignoring them.

You're right.  My bad.  How about DSLite?  Maybe GBASP.  Maybe one of the many other pieces of slightly updated hardware Nintendo is so fond of in the handheld market that all helped to extend their lives and create new peak sales rates.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network
ChichiriMuyo said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
mortono said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

You're right.  My bad.  How about DSLite?  Maybe GBASP.  Maybe one of the many other pieces of slightly updated hardware Nintendo is so fond of in the handheld market that all helped to extend their lives and create new peak sales rates.

The Motion Plus is for that purpose. So they need to step up with the software more than just change the system when it actually works.

The Lite and SP were to address tech issues with the systems themselves (bulk including no longer being top heavy for the Light, and rechargeable battery to make a decent light system for the SP), and they were released in the early parts of the cycles, so they didn't really extend the system lives.

So the Wii wouldn't be getting a spech upgrade, but simply a design change, and only if Nintendo feels there is a tech that needs fixing by way of a design change.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

The severe lack of support from both Nintendo and 3rd parties is saddening.

It's great to have for Grand Slam Tennis TW10 or 11 and NHL2K10/11 as it definitely adds to those games.

It's just tragic there's no (good) baseball games that use it, hell no baseball with online either.  Pathetic, truly.

Otherwise, aside from RS2 there's no notably games that use it and the only one coming up is Zelda.   Although New Carnival Games could be surprisingly good thanks to WM but that remains to be seen.

It annoys me that Wii Party does support either WM or BB.   But could be optional modes for some games but it appears neither is given any support.  But hell, I could also complain Wii Play isn't online nor uses Wii Speak.  But the vast majority of people going to buy it won't care about any of that.

Problem is traditional games don't really benefit and new concept games notoriously sell poorly.  FlingSmash likely to follow suit.

ChichiriMuyo said:
mortono said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

A Wii HD would have to be a direct successor. When you update graphical capabilities, content is made that is exclusive to the new system. This forces people to buy new hardware and is the definition of a "new generation". 

The question is, how interesting would it be to previous Wii owners to have a new Wii that only had the addition of HD graphics and nothing else. They didn't buy the PS3 or 360, so why would they buy a Wii HD?

And for 360 and PS3 owners, who's to say that they would suddenly be convinced to switch over to the Wii? They would most likely stick with the consoles that already have ample HD content and higher quality online support.

The install base for a 'Wii HD' would be absurdly low because of this. 3rd party developers, as easy as it would be for them to port over their HD content, would deny Nintendo support (as they did with the Gamecube and N64) and blame it on the low install base.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo will at some point release a new console with HD graphics capabilities. But that will be the last thing on everybody's mind when it is revealed. It will have something else like 3d, motion controls, or touch controls, that sets it apart from everything else of the market.

As for the current Wii system, all Nintendo needs to do is make awesome, new motion control content and they will extend the life of their system. It also wouldn't hurt to improve their online support, the shopping channel, etc. But they don't need a Wii HD for that (a simple firmware upgrade should do).

LucasArts are idiots for passing up the opportunity. Even re-releasing lightsaber duels (though that's based on the lacklustre clone wars property) would have been a way of saving face, but instead they assiduously ignore the wii like they always have (outsourced all Wii development so far to Krome, i think)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Pyro as Bill said:

I don't ever remember Nintendo claiming 1:1 for the original Wiimote.

"

Iwata: I suppose the obvious question is: if it offers such huge advantages, why didn’t you use it in the Wii Remote from the very start?

Takamoto: We actually looked into the idea of including a gyro sensor at the very start of the Wii Remote’s development. But the idea was rejected due to issues of both space and cost which attaching a gyro sensor would entail.

Iwata: I see. But gyro sensors are measuring devices that have actually been around for a considerable amount of time, aren’t they?

Takamoto: That’s right. They were originally called gyroscopes and were used to measure angle and rotation speed in rockets and the navigation systems of ships. But they were very bulky instruments.

Iwata: They’re fitted in the noses of airplanes as well, aren’t they?

Takamoto: Right. That’s the sort of size we’re talking about. And let’s not forget that they were also extremely expensive."

If you swallow this bullshit, you'll get enterocolitis.

Low cost, small size gyroscopes based on vibrating elements instead of the more bulky wheels were already available when Wii entered its final development stages. Wikipedia is your friend and you'll be able to find enough dates for several kind of gyros.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!