By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is there any evidence for the Iraq War being about oil?

bazmeistergen said:

This thread needs help.

Any war can be justified by people, including (I can't believe I'm going to say this) Hitler's war. Most justifications are put out because of the pitiful 'moral' grounds that wars are fought on. For example, during the Iraq war - WMDs, the gassing of the Kurds, implementing democracy, Saddam's ambitions and so on. All of these can be seen as illusory and hypocritical when you look at US and UK policy in its historical context - ie propping up violent dictators in South America, supporting and shaking hands with Saddam (I'm looking at you Rumsfeld) when they knew of the chemical attacks in Halabja, overthrowing democratically elected governments on numerous occasions - Guatemala, Nicaragua etc etc.

Saying that (at least) 100,000 civilians would have died anyway is a pretty weak argument - there are far higher casualty rates published elsewhere, but we'll stick to the orthodox figures otherwise people will get their knickers in a twist - as most of the civilians would have died as a result of US/UK imposed sanctions rather than from the clearly brutal Saddam regime, but that's still justifying something on the basis of guesswork.

Of course, Saddam would have argued that he was putting down a rebellion/revolution of northern Kurds - something else both the US and UK have used as justifications for involvement in other nations - Russia, for example.

Oil may not be the direct and prime motivation - there were clear strategic and wider economic aims involved, but it is still up there within the primary economic objectives - Saudi Arabia is right next door and this helps US keep a presence in the whole area.

I don't understand why people are attached to their governments actions when it comes to foreign policy - when they are much more critical (and informed) about domestic issues (though the debate is constrained it has to be said)

Well I don't believe the war was about oil and I'm not an American, my country wasn't involved in the war and I'm a critic of Bush, the Bush doctrine and actually often American policy as a whole.

I see the war as political rather than economic.

@Binary Solo. I think your premise that war is always about resources is far too simple and very false. A good counter example is the crusades, those were fought almost entirely out of religious beliefs, the wish to have the holy land. The cold war was about political power rather than resources (and bickering over resources was merely the subtext of larger games).

Around the Network
Rath said:
bazmeistergen said:

This thread needs help.

Any war can be justified by people, including (I can't believe I'm going to say this) Hitler's war. Most justifications are put out because of the pitiful 'moral' grounds that wars are fought on. For example, during the Iraq war - WMDs, the gassing of the Kurds, implementing democracy, Saddam's ambitions and so on. All of these can be seen as illusory and hypocritical when you look at US and UK policy in its historical context - ie propping up violent dictators in South America, supporting and shaking hands with Saddam (I'm looking at you Rumsfeld) when they knew of the chemical attacks in Halabja, overthrowing democratically elected governments on numerous occasions - Guatemala, Nicaragua etc etc.

Saying that (at least) 100,000 civilians would have died anyway is a pretty weak argument - there are far higher casualty rates published elsewhere, but we'll stick to the orthodox figures otherwise people will get their knickers in a twist - as most of the civilians would have died as a result of US/UK imposed sanctions rather than from the clearly brutal Saddam regime, but that's still justifying something on the basis of guesswork.

Of course, Saddam would have argued that he was putting down a rebellion/revolution of northern Kurds - something else both the US and UK have used as justifications for involvement in other nations - Russia, for example.

Oil may not be the direct and prime motivation - there were clear strategic and wider economic aims involved, but it is still up there within the primary economic objectives - Saudi Arabia is right next door and this helps US keep a presence in the whole area.

I don't understand why people are attached to their governments actions when it comes to foreign policy - when they are much more critical (and informed) about domestic issues (though the debate is constrained it has to be said)

Well I don't believe the war was about oil and I'm not an American, my country wasn't involved in the war and I'm a critic of Bush, the Bush doctrine and actually often American policy as a whole.

@Binary Solo. I think your premise that war is always about resources is far too simple and very false. A good counter example is the crusades, those were fought almost entirely out of religious beliefs, the wish to have the holy land. The cold war was about political power rather than resources (and bickering over resources was merely the subtext of larger games).

Also, it should be noted that Saddam Hussein actually totally had a right to invade Kuwait.

From what i've read Kuwait was taking advantage of "Slant drilling" and nobody cared because it was happening to Iraq who nobody liked.

Slant drilling being of course when you drill slanted, and steal the oil underneath somebody else.

Although I am going to disagree about the Crusades.

The crusades were actuallly fought because of resources.   Back in the middle ages and really up untill the Potato was introduced to Europe...  wars ALWAYS followed the same path.

If you invaded... even if you lost the war, you gained a lot economically from the looting and incerases in production etc.  it also cut down on crime, by giving them more profitable people to mug and kill.

If you were invaded... even if you won the war.  You lost.   Because soldiers would take all the grain peasents had and there would be mass famine for everyone not in the war.   You'd be likely to lose up to 2/3rd of the population in the areas where the war took place.

There was HUGE motivations to go to war... and even larger motivations to not be invaded.   The Crusades used religion as an excuse to export the "pain" while still keeping the benefits of being at war.

This can be shown by the later crusades deciding to just focus on italian states and other similiar states in which there was no religous difference.

Actual "ethical" wars didn't start until after WW2.  

Kasz216 said:
Rath said:

Also, it should be noted that Saddam Hussein actually totally had a right to invade Kuwait.

From what i've read Kuwait was taking advantage of "Slant drilling" and nobody cared because it was happening to Iraq who nobody liked.

Slant drilling being of course when you drill slanted, and steal the oil underneath somebody else.

The crusades were actuallly fought because of resources.   Back in the middle ages and really up untill the Potato was introduced to Europe...  wars ALWAYS followed the same path.

If you invaded... even if you lost the war, you gained a lot economically from the looting and incerases in production etc.  it also cut down on crime, by giving them more profitable people to mug and kill.

If you were invaded... even if you won the war.  You lost.   Because soldiers would take all the grain peasents had and there would be mass famine for everyone not in the war.   You'd be likely to lose up to 2/3rd of the population in the areas where the war took place.

There was HUGE motivations to go to war... and even larger motivations to not be invaded.   The Crusades used religion as an excuse to export the "pain" while still keeping the benefits of being at war.

This can be shown by the later crusades deciding to just focus on italian states and other similiar states in which there was no religous difference.

Ethical wars were rare, however religious and ethnic wars were not.

Rath said:
Kasz216 said:
Rath said:

There wasn't one religious war that wouldn't of happened without relgion. 

As for ethnic wars... one could consider those wars of two groups over one set of resources.

Kasz216 said:
Rath said:

There wasn't one religious war that wouldn't of happened without relgion. 

As for ethnic wars... one could consider those wars of two groups over one set of resources.

Both kinds of wars are for power. Political domination, not physical resources.

Religion and ethnicity are merely ways that groups are joined together and then groups try and dominate others.

Around the Network

Ok. I'm not a pro-war person in general, but didn't the US congress vote in the 90's to make overthrowing Saddam official US policy?

Furthermore, Saddam was a danger to the reigion, because he invaded kuwait and commited mass genocide to the Kurdish with chemical weapons? He had used chemical weapons on people before and thus it was a pretty natural assumption that he still posessed them.

Another thing I read was in his later years he moved away from his more secular roots and became more and more religious.

It seems to me that there was a multitude of reasons to overthrow Saddam. Of course the whole invasion was mishandled greatly by the government in regards to its media campaign.

I'm certainly not pro the war, but since we're in it we might aswell make it work as best as possible.

their is no evidence about biochemical weapons( or something like that ), i dont know if i remember his name but their was a black guy in the staff of bush which admited that he was tricked and that their was no threat. now what did the us do? they reinforced their troops in quwait possibly getting more oil, and now they are getting oil from iraq. yes their isnt proof but if it wasnt for oil then what is it for? for fun?

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Rath said:
bazmeistergen said:

This thread needs help.

The Cold War was about resources and globalisation of economies as well as political. Both these things goes hand in hand, whether either one is primary is almost unprovable...

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

zgamer5 said:

their is no evidence about biochemical weapons( or something like that ), i dont know if i remember his name but their was a black guy in the staff of bush which admited that he was tricked and that their was no threat. now what did the us do? they reinforced their troops in quwait possibly getting more oil, and now they are getting oil from iraq. yes their isnt proof but if it wasnt for oil then what is it for? for fun?

As I've said multiple times in this thread. Oil isn't the only possibility for the war, politically war after 9/11 was a good idea.

I don't believe there is such a thing as an ethical war. They are made up to massage public opinion. There's always much more going on.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.