By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bigger Storage for the Wii

lenardo said:

so if i read that right...

a hard drive accessory for the wii is -potentially- coming.

Or maybe you'll just be able to plug you external HDD/iPod or any storage media !?

I really hope that's what they are gonna do... 

Now Loading... Please Wait!

Around the Network
zsidane said:

Or maybe you'll just be able to plug you external HDD/iPod or any storage media !?

I really hope that's what they are gonna do...

Hopefully they'd do both. It'd be nice to have the options, and I really doubt Nintendo would pass up the chance to sell the official Nintendo Wiidrive. Don't they already sell an official Wii SD cards? 

And if they have the space for it, why wouldn't they be able to offer Dreamcast games?  

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

No doubt he's implying that the Wii isn't powerful enough to do so. ;>

The general rule of emulation is that the system doing the emulating be about 3 times as powerful as the system it's emulatin. I checked the basic specs.. Wii has better GPU by a good deal, a better processor(around 3x's with a bit to spare.) etc I entierly believe wii could emulate DC games with ease.

I think it will be a usb hdd that will work with most external usb drives. Like the SD card thing. Nintendo could have made proprietary memory cards again, but they chose to go with industry standards of SD. You don't have to buy the Wii branded SD cards, you can use any of them. The same will probably be with the USB drives. They are going with an open standard and we will see a few Wii branded HDD's that will be a little more expensive than 'normal' but you will be able to get quite a few others for cheaper prices. They just won't be white and pretty. But, eh, it will be behind my Wii in the cabinet anyways.

Re: uses. I think it will be for future channels, games, and mostly demos and other online stuff. I bet there will be a 60g for $49.99.

Around the Network

What I am most intressted is the possiblity to download demos. Hopefully we can plug in any storage device and play from it. I think it is crap that you can't play vc games from SD cards.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

souixan said:
The general rule of emulation is that the system doing the emulating be about 3 times as powerful as the system it's emulatin. I checked the basic specs.. Wii has better GPU by a good deal, a better processor(around 3x's with a bit to spare.) etc I entierly believe wii could emulate DC games with ease.

Even if it couldn´t there are still Arcade games, and Segas Saturn to emulate... but DC games would be awesome

First off. Nintendo has already said.

"No regular USB HDDs will work with the Wii, it must be a Nintendo lisenced product."

Meaning, nintendo needs to turn it on in the wii, and then you will have to buy 'nintendo' brand HDDs... for ALOT more than their worth.

Nintendo has bascically said that the 2 USB ports will be used only for nintendo products. This is not good news, This is saying nintendo dont want 3rd party people useing the power of the Wii... what little it has. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:

First off. Nintendo has already said.

"No regular USB HDDs will work with the Wii, it must be a Nintendo lisenced product."

Meaning, nintendo needs to turn it on in the wii, and then you will have to buy 'nintendo' brand HDDs... for ALOT more than their worth.

Nintendo has bascically said that the 2 USB ports will be used only for nintendo products. This is not good news, This is saying nintendo dont want 3rd party people useing the power of the Wii... what little it has. 

Nintendo didn't block the use of non-Wii SD cards. Why would they block the use on non-Wii HDD's? Where did you see that quote?

clone usb 2 ethernet adapters do work (not all, but a specific usb vid/pid)

so other non original devices could work as well

(also nintendo could issue a firmware update that will block such devices...)