By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Dec 21st 2012 End of the World or Cosmic Rebirth?

dtewi said:
Someone create a good counter arguement.

I don't wanna die.

A counter argument for speculation? Good luck with that, it's almost as hard as finding a counter argument for fanboyism.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
dtewi said:
Someone create a good counter arguement.

I don't wanna die.

A counter argument for speculation? Good luck with that, it's almost as hard as finding a counter argument for fanboyism.

Which one of my original 4 points were speculation? They are all going to or are in the process of happening. Do any of these spell doom? That is up to you. Recycle now. Save the Earth!

Wojtas said:
Well, i believe in the magnetic poles shift theory. It makes a lot of sense as magnetism has substantial power over living and dead objects. One thing to remeber is that if the poles were to shift very fast, we would probably experience earthquakes, since it would impact the way magma flows thus creating new rifts in the earth shell structure. Furthermore all of the living orgamisms that find their way based on magnetism (birds are a good example) will go crazy.

Arg, no, no, no, the majority of this thread is paranoid but this is plain wrong.  There is no correlation between changes in the Earth's magnetic field, from paleomagnetic records, and increased volcanism.  Earthquakes do not leave as complete of records but again this seems highly unlikely as the majority of earthquakes have their sources in the crust with a minority of them occuring deep but never below the 660km depth.  Yes, we do get magnetic field reversals but there is no reason to think it will cause earthquakes or volcanoes.  The mantle of the Earth is not magma, it is solid with some form of elastic rheaology.  It convects extremely slowly, on the order of centimeters per year which is driven primarily by temepreture so that a magnetic reversal should do next to nothing to change this.  If your refering to the outer core, which is molten, then it is also incorrect as you have the casaulity backwards.  The Earth's main field is created from the convection of the outer core, its reversal is likely related to a changed in that pattern of convection and still even with that we have no reason to suspect this will lead to increased volcanism or earthquakes because the outer core can not generate necessary stress for an earthquake, as it is liquid,  and again we have no records of volcanism increasing from magnetic reversals.  

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

bulletstopper said:
Everyone is going to die. Those who do not die will be turned into vampyers. Will Smith will be the last man on Earth.

then death won't be that bad, i'd rather die then be stuck with will smith and his rapping

Astrodust said:

1: The Milky Way is not very far from us. The Milky Way is our Galaxy and we are in it.

Yes i know but which is closer to us at any point of time the sun or the Milky Way as u know our Galaxy is so big being far does not mean not in.

2: Nasa themselves are the ones that issued the solar storm warning. Since mankind has aquired cell phones, pda, wi-fi, solar storms have never reached the levels they will in 2012.

Yes it required a warning as it will 100% affect us but the problem is how big will the effect be??? This is unknown to anyone i believe. 

3:The time of a polar shift for Earth is unknown however some scientists believe we could be experiencing one now. The Earth's magnetic field is at it's lowest levels in thousands of years. http://www.creationevidence.org/scientific_evid/magnetic_fld/magnetic_fld.html Can some event speed this up? Why not.

This part is quite unknown, it may happen, it may not happen like i said before so lets not talk about this.

4: Again we are in the Milky Way. Our solar system is at the edge of a spiral arm called the Orion Arm. It is about 2 thirds from the center of the Galaxy(Milky Way). http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/astronomy/solarsystem/where.shtml

The star move at a slow speed in the Galaxy and 5 years time in the Galaxy is short so if we are near the dark rift of the Milky Way, we will have feel some effect now. Again which is nearer the Milky way or the Sun as in order to cover the Sun, the Milky Way must be nearer than the Sun.

Anyway i like to highlight that the Mayan did not predicted the end of the world as 2012, dec 12 however they predicted that something will happen on that day but what will happen is unknown. It is the later people that said the prediction equal to the end of the world. Anyway interesting topic to talk about, kudo to Astrodust.

Than again isnt the world ending in year 2000. Maybe we are typing in the land of dead. (j/k) 

By Milky Way i refer to the dense part of the Milky Way [the one we can see](too long to type) so if any conflusion in the post sorry.

Around the Network

Than again do u think i can get my hand on the next generation console beore this happen...

December 21st, 2012 is the day I was born.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

andors said:

Than again do u think i can get my hand on the next generation console beore this happen...

I think there will be many more generations of consoles before the demise of Earth, but I am no prophet. Also why does everyone assume that the Mayans predicted the end of the world. From what I have understood, they saw a new beginning. Mind you after a dark period.

Rubang B said:
December 21st, 2012 is the day I was born.

It is the day I shall be reborn.