By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Dec 21st 2012 End of the World or Cosmic Rebirth?

oh again the maya's thing, that day is my bday!! omg i m going to die celebrating it! lol

Around the Network
Astrodust said:
@misterd
You kind of have a bad attitude. Anyways there is no need to get upset over the Mayan predictions because they can be interpreted in more than one way. Are you denying the 4 points I made in the opening post? All I am saying is that 2012 is a significant year. Read it again. The Mayans believed in a transition period in 2012. For some people this is enough and will provide a catalyst to change for the better. Like the person on the mountaintop that stares out and better understands himself. If 2012 is the end of the world that is okay too cause maybe we were not meant to live forever. At least living in a way that hurts one another so much.

Actually I have (not "kind of") a scientific attitude. All this is - to use a phrase you like - cherry picked* data without any context to it. As for 2012 being a significant year... on what basis? Every year ends up being significant in some way to someone. To just say "it's significant" is useless unless you can explain how. The solar system entering some new region of the galaxy (something we do daily - we are moving along a pretty good clip, after all) is not expected to have any substantial impact on a human level. And without any data as to the sucess of the Mayan's predictions along these lines (not the calenedar, but of "significant changes" happening), there's no reason to give the prediction any weight. Also, the Mayan prediction for 12/21/12 is based on a religious belief about the length of creation, not on any astronomical phenomenon, so this correlation does appear to be coincidence retroactively interpreted as prediction. Historically there have been people who have believed any number of dates were "significant" and would bring great change. Usually they have been wrong, and the ones who weren't are few enough in number to be statistically insignificant (again, enough people pick enough years, someone will be right that something of some sort will happen). In the end, we all have two choices - to sit around and wait for something momentous to bring about change, or to get off our asses and do it ourselves. Historically, the later has more success than the former. *Cherry picked is an accurate colloquialism that describes the data. People using it in the correct context are not, by an large, using it to appear smart - they are using it to accurately convey an important concept. On the other hand, in my experience those who pull out the "you're only using those words to sound smart" card tend to do so because they are insecure about their own intellectual prowess. In either case, your critique of the term was a non-sequitor that did nothing to answer the criticism about the predictions.

NJ5 said:
BenKenobi88 said:
I think living through the change of a millennium will be the most exciting thing to happen in our lives, cosmically...

Too bad that a "millenium" is only special because we have ten fingers. It's not really a very cosmical event ;)

That, and because of the arbitrary start date of the modern calendar (even if you were to insist on the birth of Jesus being the proper starting point for the timeline - a point I won't argue as it is irrelevant to the argument - the fact is we don't even know what year that really was, let alone what day).

@misterd
Who is to say I wanted to answer criticisms about the predictions? I'd rather leave room for other people's oppinions. An oppinionated opening post is boring and I don't feel the need to be right. I am happy just sharing some information. Anyways have you asked yourself lately why you are such an angry person? How is it that some people can go into to this thread with a little fun and others can critique it on a scientific level. But you just seem to attack it? Can't there be more than one oppinion on the subject? I think maybe you need to hug people more or something.

Astrodust said:
@misterd
Who is to say I wanted to answer criticisms about the predictions? I'd rather leave room for other people's oppinions. An oppinionated opening post is boring and I don't feel the need to be right. I am happy just sharing some information. Anyways have you asked yourself lately why you are such an angry person? How is it that some people can go into to this thread with a little fun and others can critique it on a scientific level. But you just seem to attack it? Can't there be more than one oppinion on the subject? I think maybe you need to hug people more or something.

Man, you need to get over yourself. There was nothing angry in any of my posts, and if you want an open discussion, you need to stop getting defensive when people scrutinize the idea at hand.

Around the Network

Actually I have no problem with criticism. I actually can see from the point of view from some of the people who have given some solid scientific examples against any outcomes of natural disasters related to 2012. Sigh, again I must point out to my original post. I created this thread only to get people interested in the date who may have not known about the Mayan calendar or other interesting things happening in 2012. I don't see anywhere in this thread where I've been preaching disaster or trying to convince people that armageddon is coming. I know there are a lot of people on the internet that are obsessed with end of the world theories and you can hear it in the way they talk. I don't really consider myself one of those people.

If you want to hear an intelligent post, go back to page 2 and look up smalflyingtaco's post. I don't see how attacking me strengthens your cause but whatever. If you are more interested in accusing someone of "cherry picking" rather then talking about the subject of the thread then I guess that is cool. I guess you have more time on your hands then you think. Maybe you are the one who needs to get over himself. Peace.

End of the World or Cosmic Rebirth, in the end they both spell doom for the human race. The only way for the human race to survive is to become a space fairing grace, because at the end of the world their will be no god to save us, so we must be our own gods and save our selves, well that's my 2 cents.

Destroyer_of_knights said:
End of the World or Cosmic Rebirth, in the end they both spell doom for the human race. The only way for the human race to survive is to become a space fairing grace, because at the end of the world their will be no god to save us, so we must be our own gods and save our selves, well that's my 2 cents.

I actually mentioned something like this earlier. We are the biggest threat to ourselves right now. We need to colonize another planet or something to ensure the survival of our species. However I don't really equate a cosmic rebirth with doom. Cosmic rebirth to me is more like ascending to a higher consciousness.

Astrodust said:
Destroyer_of_knights said:

I actually mentioned something like this earlier. We are the biggest threat to ourselves right now. We need to colonize another planet or something to ensure the survival of our species. However I don't really equate a cosmic rebirth with doom. Cosmic rebirth to me is more like ascending to a higher consciousness.

Looks like you've been watching to much Stargate their.

For me, cosmic rebith means that the universe will implode on it's self destroying everything in the proccess, then the universe will start forming again, big band 2 if you will.

Yes Destroyer, because one day is enough for the ENTIRE universe to have a second big bang.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you