By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Dec 21st 2012 End of the World or Cosmic Rebirth?

By now some of you may have heard of the famous Mayan prediction. The Mayans were mathematical geniuses and were ancient time keepers. They had many calendars and could predict astrological changes many years in advance. One of their calendars is actually more accurate than the Gregorian calendar we use today. It is their long count calendar that is the most intriguing.

The Mayan long calendar ends on Dec 21st 2012. The Mayans fortold that on that day which is a winter solstice, the Earth would enter into a new age. The transition into the 5th sun/dimension, a cosmic crossing will occur. Some people claimed that the Mayans predicted our own end. Others say the Mayans believed people would enter into a new conciousness. Perhaps that day is just another day but there is no denying it will still be a significant day. Lets examine that day and year a little.

1. On Dec 21st 2012 the Earths sun forms a meridian with the galactic equator. What does that mean exactly? Well our sun and consequently the Earth are at the equator of the Milky Way. This will be the first time in about 26,000 years.  We are living in a special time. You get to experience something that many generations after you will never experience.

2. Solar Max will peak in 2012. Nasa predicts that solar storms will peak in 2012 and be at their strongest in 50 years. Solar storms refers to when the sun releases large amounts of energy. The things affected will include cell phones, gps, and other electronic equipment. Low orbiting satelites are expected to be affected as well as flying passengers. The last time solar storms were this intense, northern lights were spotted over Mexico. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/03/0306_060307_sunspots.html

3. Pole reversals are imminent. Did you know the magnetic poles of the sun reverse. It happens at the peak of every 11 year sunspot cycle. The last one was in 2001 and the next one is in 2012. Scientists also know that the Earth's poles reverse as well. Earth's poles reverse an average of 4 times every 1 million years. The last one occured about 740,000 years ago so we are overdue. A prelude to Earth's poles reversing is that our planet's magnetic field decreases significantly and we are at our lowest levels in years. No one knows how long it takes for the poles to flip but if it is quick, earthquakes and other natural disasters are a certainty. And your compass needle will be pointing in the opposite direction. When the sun's poles reverse in 2012 there is a tendancy to pull the Earth along with it.

4. The Dark Rift which the Mayans called the Black Road lies along the galactic equator. In 2012 astronomers say that our sun enters this dark part of our galaxy. Astronomers refer to this as the Cygnus Rift, a portion of intersteller dust. The Mayans defined the end of each age as the world sitting on the Dark Rift. But they also considered this intersection to be the Sacred Tree or Cross, and on Dec 21st 2012 we will witness an ascension. No one really knows what will happen when we pass through the Dark Rift though.

So what do you guys think of all this? Is all this just another Y2K scare or is our Galaxy trying to tell us something?

Around the Network

well i think we all die in 2019 with the comming of that meteor

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

OMG, must finish SMG by then.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

I'd say the world will end in 2038...

1. On Dec 21st 2012 the Earths sun forms a meridian with the galactic equator. What does that mean exactly? Well our sun and consequently the Earth are at the equator of the Milky Way. This will be the first time in about 26,000 years.  We are living in a special time. You get to experience something that many generations after you will never experience.

We won't exactly "experience" anything.

2. Solar Max will peak in 2012. Nasa predicts that solar storms will peak in 2012 and be at their strongest in 50 years. Solar storms refers to when the sun releases large amounts of energy. The things affected will include cell phones, gps, and other electronic equipment. Low orbiting satelites are expected to be affected as well as flying passengers. The last time solar storms were this intense, northern lights were spotted over Mexico. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/03/0306_060307_sunspots.html

Hopefully won't do much more than provide pretty lights. Most sattelights are now hardened for this.

3. Pole reversals are imminent. Did you know the magnetic poles of the sun reverse. It happens at the peak of every 11 year sunspot cycle. The last one was in 2001 and the next one is in 2012. Scientists also know that the Earth's poles reverse as well. Earth's poles reverse an average of 4 times every 1 million years. The last one occured about 740,000 years ago so we are overdue. A prelude to Earth's poles reversing is that our planet's magnetic field decreases significantly and we are at our lowest levels in years. No one knows how long it takes for the poles to flip but if it is quick, earthquakes and other natural disasters are a certainty. And your compass needle will be pointing in the opposite direction. When the sun's poles reverse in 2012 there is a tendancy to pull the Earth along with it.

Earthquakes and other natural disasters arn't a certainty, I can't even imagine what "other natural disasters" it could possibly cause. And were fairly certain it's a rather safe procedure, otherwise all life on the planet would get cooked and earth would have to start over. The only likely effect is that compass don't work, there may be a period where we have 3 or more poles (as the sun frequently has) that still shelter us from radiation. It might not be a "flip" either, there could be a period where the north pole is in Jamaica. Remeber the earths poles are constantly moving, nothing to be worried about.

4. The Dark Rift which the Mayans called the Black Road lies along the galactic equator. In 2012 astronomers say that our sun enters this dark part of our galaxy. Astronomers refer to this as the Cygnus Rift, a portion of intersteller dust. The Mayans defined the end of each age as the world sitting on the Dark Rift. But they also considered this intersection to be the sacred tree and on Dec 21st 2012 we will witness an ascension. No one really knows what will happen when we pass through the Dark Rift though.

I'm going to go out on a wild limb and guess that absolutely nothing will happen, it will be excactly the same as when we fly through every other dark but of space.

So what do you guys think of all this? Is all this just another Y2K scare or is our Galaxy trying to tell us something?

Answered your own question there really. If people 30 years ago didn't imagine the systems/calendars being used 15-20 years later what makes you think the mayans thought it was necessary to calculate their calendar centuries ahead?

Around the Network

The world will end in the eyar 2000

only 144,444 will be saved!!!

its 2007..

mM

well, call me a pothead but i believe in the wisdom of the maya. it´s not so long ahead, so we can see all by ourselves - maybe/probably even with the new generation of game consoles at our hands ;)

wouldn´t be a shame after all: end and such ...

^^ Agree
Just another Stupid Believe

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"

^^
I meant to agree with leo-j

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"

I don't think anything significant will happen, but i have to admire the Mayans mathematical genius to have figured out the sine curve the solar system follows. I mean how in the hell did they work it out?

If it's all true though. I won't get much time to play on the Wii 2/N6..... DAMN YOU UNIVERSE!