By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Amazon say 6ft of space needed for Kinect

Smidlee said:

PS fan or not this is useful infornation. It's range is 4-11 feet yet how well can it track at 4 feet away? Does the 4 feet min include tracking your hands in front of your body? If so then 6 feet where you need to stand. Maybe you need 6 feet for two players while 4 enough for one.

I think even the wii-mote  need around 3-4 feet to track the IR bar.

Yeah, if your sitting closer than about 3ft it tracks the wiimote but then its obvious you're pointing at the bar and not the TV. Further away is far more comfortable. However, this is differnet as you'll need ~5 of nothing in front of your TV as well as a few ft of space all around you to move. So, many people would not be able to use this and many more would require moving all there furniture to make it work ok.

Around the Network

wtf with all the OP bashing for?

i see it being a big issue sure you might make room for yourself to play but what about multiplayer action

also i dont know about ya'll but most people that own a 360 or any gaming console are between like 8-25 most of ya'll are still living with your parents meaning your console is in your bed room, where i came from most bedrooms where like 15/15ft or even smaller in urban areas that had other important items in there aswell like a bed and clothing chest or even a desk

it may not be a issue for those that buy a 360 for the family or kids and have there console in the living rooms but i dont think most bought a 360 for those reasons

Play Me

So, is Kinect almost not possible in Japan?

looks like i wouldnt be able to play it in my room (yes my room is really small, dont rub it in >_<)

Yeah, the minimum space requirement seems fairly strict, as you can see in this video:

The kids keep getting told to take a few steps back, and if you get too close to the edge of Kinect's range, the avatars' legs start floating in midair and stuff.  That could also have something to do with the children's small size, of course.

Around the Network

Wow. I really can't play that on my room. Is the leg floating because of player distance?