By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square-Enix: Trouble Fitting FFXIV On PS3

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
selnor said:

As many have pointed out before. The PS3's memory architecture is the issue. it has only 256mb available to the CPU and 256mb available to GPU. 

but the GPU doesn't take all the load,it shares it with the CPU so GPU memory can be better allocated and CPU memory can used for other things

Niether can borrow from each other. Whereas a PC has alot more available. And the Cell is a long way behind current CPU's.

complete bullshit

we can't compare CELL to other CPU.different architecture

How do you know it's bullshit, how powerful is the cell exactly, compared to a common quad core i7 for instance? Give me a comparison of their power.

I would imagine that Cell is less powerful overall and less versatile. Am I wrong? Or did you call bullshit without checking.

As for the OP, they will probably gimp XIV so it will run the same on PS3 and PC, but who cares. I wouldn't buy it until Blizzard and Bioware stop making MMOs, at the very least.

Or when it inevitably hits the 360....

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Linkasf said:

I dont see how the architecture of the CELL is new when it is over 4 years old (or somethin like that...).

yeah compare it to the architecture of the PC's,now how old is that???????????????

and you don't understand,4years is not the issue

the problem is that even 4 years in,nobody really develops on PS3 so they never got used to it.

mostly only develop on 360 and then port it

now look at exclusive developers who constantly work on PS3 so they have gotten used to it and their games are the best

Yeah but you make it sound like it is a few months old.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
selnor said:

As many have pointed out before. The PS3's memory architecture is the issue. it has only 256mb available to the CPU and 256mb available to GPU. 

but the GPU doesn't take all the load,it shares it with the CPU so GPU memory can be better allocated and CPU memory can used for other things

Niether can borrow from each other. Whereas a PC has alot more available. And the Cell is a long way behind current CPU's.

complete bullshit

How do you know it's bullshit, how powerful is the cell exactly, compared to a common quad core i7 for instance? Give me a comparison of their power.

thats why i said we can't compare them

selnor was just jumping to conclusion without any comparision

I would imagine that Cell is less powerful overall and less versatile. Am I wrong? Or did you call bullshit without checking.

you can think whatever you want but i was referring to the way SELNOR claimed as if Corei7 was more powerful,that needs a comparision

Linkasf said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Linkasf said:

I dont see how the architecture of the CELL is new when it is over 4 years old (or somethin like that...).

yeah compare it to the architecture of the PC's,now how old is that???????????????

the problem is that even 4 years in,nobody really develops on PS3 so they never got used to it.

now look at exclusive developers who constantly work on PS3 so they have gotten used to it and their games are the best

Yeah but you make it sound like it is a few months old.

no i didn't

yes the CELL is old but how many devs work on it fully,not many and hence they aren't used to it

they just make  it on 360 and then port it

the exclusive developers have leart it and you can see the difference in the games

kowenicki said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thelifatree said:
tingyu said:

Umm, why argue when Square-Enix only said that they need to 'optimize' the game before porting it from a platform to another platform? They cant simply copy and paste the data, is that right? Even if they are going to port it to Xbox, they still need to optimize it cause PC and consoles are different beasts. Give me one PC setup that can run Killzone 3 3D, Wipeout 3D or Uncharted 2, yeah, guess so

:) why does crysis:warhead and metro 2033 look better than anything released on ps3 or xbox 360 yet?

cause 360 has been nearly maxed

and devs still aren't used to developing on PS3 AS THEY ARE ON THEIR old PC architecture

developers use OLD pc's with old processors?  O.o

no but the architecture is the same from last so many years

are you saying that PS3 and the PC architecture is similar??????if you are then you are completely wrong

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
dahuman said:
selnor said:

dood..... the system can use the XDR for graphics, just not the GDDR3 for the system, you've obviously read or remembered wrong.

There hasn't been a thread with essentially negative PS3 news in a while. He was just lurking in the shadows and pounced at the soonest opportunity to make the system not seem as good as it is lol

So answering his question with truth, is lurking ok. 

Of course the PS3 version is gonna struggle next to the PC version. 

PC architecture is far more advanced than PS3 4 years into PS3 life in 'all' areas. 

I merely helped him to understand it's the lack of memory options on the console which is the issue. 

Dont start a flamewar. 

selnor said:
BMaker11 said:
dahuman said:
selnor said:

dood..... the system can use the XDR for graphics, just not the GDDR3 for the system, you've obviously read or remembered wrong.

There hasn't been a thread with essentially negative PS3 news in a while. He was just lurking in the shadows and pounced at the soonest opportunity to make the system not seem as good as it is lol

So answering his question with truth, is lurking ok. 

Of course the PS3 version is gonna struggle next to the PC version. 

PC architecture is far more advanced than PS3 4 years into PS3 life in 'all' areas. 

I merely helped him to understand it's the lack of memory options on the console which is the issue. 

Dont start a flamewar. 

but cell dusn't give more memory?

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Linkasf said:

It's actually the x86 instruction set that is old, the rest of the things in modern CPUs are quiet advanced depending on how you code for it, that's why something like the i7 is beasty for so many things that the Cell won't be able to do. 64bit is slowly becoming the norm as well in the PC world as more and more computers come with more than 4GB of ram now, it's just moving differently. The design of the original Cell was never meant to replace PCs mind you, it's just very different.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
selnor said:

complete bullshit

As for the OP, they will probably gimp XIV so it will run the same on PS3 and PC, but who cares. I wouldn't buy it until Blizzard and Bioware stop making MMOs, at the very least.

Cell is still better for math vs i7 I guess, but that's about it, it's not meant for general desktop, it's also quiet efficient in that it's able to directly call to the XDR unlike PCs where you need more embedded memory like for example, the awesome cake L3 cache in modern CPUs(PCs with their compatibility issues create a lot of bottle necks that system designers and builders have to overcome.) The problem with the PS3 right now is that, a.) it's a console, you can't change the video chipset and, b.) it's a console, you can't change the amount of memory in it. I'm willing to argue that if coded correctly, it's still able to compete with the i7 easily, but that requires good coding to make up for the lack of a lot of the instructions you can find in the i7 which are awesome sauce.

kowenicki said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
thelifatree said:
tingyu said:

Umm, why argue when Square-Enix only said that they need to 'optimize' the game before porting it from a platform to another platform? They cant simply copy and paste the data, is that right? Even if they are going to port it to Xbox, they still need to optimize it cause PC and consoles are different beasts. Give me one PC setup that can run Killzone 3 3D, Wipeout 3D or Uncharted 2, yeah, guess so

:) why does crysis:warhead and metro 2033 look better than anything released on ps3 or xbox 360 yet?

cause 360 has been nearly maxed

and devs still aren't used to developing on PS3 AS THEY ARE ON THEIR old PC architecture

developers use OLD pc's with old processors?  O.o

devs need to model shit on something that has an actual OS and software for the modeling and coding environment with a fuck ton more memory to compensate for error reporting and debugging in sync with the console in question to trouble shoot in real time on wtf is going on. PC is not only a gaming machine, but a big ass tool box for enterprises all over the world, doesn't matter the speed, they don't need the game to run at full speed on PC to be able to develope console games or PC games(that's what testers with different PCs are for.)